in the market

/ in the market #1  

kjongsma

I am in the market for a compact tractor. I have purchased a home with 6 acres that needs some brush clearing, some mowing and will need some snow removal in the winter. My father-in-law just purchased a Foton tractor that was very inexpensive compared to the Kubota's, and Massey-ferguson's I have been looking at. What is the track record of the Foton and are they a reasonable choice for long term tractor use?
As for me, I am relatively inexperienced in tractor purchase/use so any advice will go a long way in my knowledge base.

Thanks

/ in the market #2  
Go to the Chinese Forum.....ask for Chip. You'll get all the info.

/ in the market #3  
I will get slapped by the chinese contigent here, but for 6 acres and the needs you describe, no chinese tractor is a good fit. For mowing, and small estate management you really are best served by a belly mower (not often available on a china tractor) and a hydrostatic tranny (nada as well). Add to this the other chinese tractor red flags:
1) new home buyer
2) new to tractors

...and I sense a bad decision coming. Many many people who exhibit these two traits end up needing to sell the tractor within a few years, and the chinese brands have poor resale due to their lack of popularity (for now anyways). I would strongly suggest any main-brand subcompact, which can be had (and easily financed) for around $15g with mower, loader, and a basic rear blower. If you dont want to spend this much, you can find plenty of lightly used Kubota BX's under 10 grand with and without loaders, traded by....you guessed it....people who changed their needs for a variety of reasons. My local bota dealer has 4 BXs with less than 200hrs on each - great opportunity for someone starting out.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ in the market #4  
Just a few thoughts about posts I've read on Chinese tractors:
Electrical is substandard, and often, gauges will need to be replaced.

Fit and finish are not always wonderful, leaks are sometimes a problem.

Most designs based on very old tractor technology may not be comfortable to use for long periods.

Warranties are often for parts only, 6 months, no labor.

I checked out several of these brands, but really know nothing about owning them other than what I've read on TBN. Many owners have posted satisfaction with owning these tractors, but most admitted that any mechanical problems were something they were equipped to take care of themselves. If you're not, I would skip the Chinese brands.
John

/ in the market #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I will get slapped by the chinese contigent here )</font>

first.. I'm a ford/NH guy.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( for 6 acres and the needs you describe, no chinese tractor is a good fit. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Did you get that from a crystal ball.. or one of those magic '8' balls? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not sure agerage size has any bearing on the manufacturer of a tractor. A scut/cut for 6c is not a bad idea.. chinese or otherwise. If he had 20-110 ac.. .. a largeer utility / ag tractor may be called for , use depending, I don't see why one of the 80~hp units wouldn't be in the running... there are at least a few people here with the chinese perkins units.. etc.

For small acerage / limited use.. hard to beat a brand new 4K$ scut tractor, vs a similarly priced 9k$ unit, depending on the owner's skills and wants.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For mowing, and small estate management you really are best served by a belly mower (not often available on a china tractor) and a hydrostatic tranny (nada as well) )</font>

Belly mowers are nice.. but rear finish mowers work too. My neighbor has 2ac.. uses a scut jd 690? 670? and a 5' 3pt finish mower. Has never had a problem with it.

I'd be surprised if a belly mower could not be adapted to a chinese tractor... you see antiques with belly mowers .. many of them not OEM designed for it. After all.. if you can throw one on a 1939 ford 9N.. seems like a bit of ingenuity and perhaps an arc welder is all that would be needed to adapt a mower to ..-any- tractor.. rice or not.. HST tranny? Please. I don't own a single HST trannied tractor and I do plenty of mowing.. hasn't slowed me down one bit. How do you think mowing was accomplished up untill the 60's? I will agree that an HST will make mowing and loader work easier perhaps, for the unskilled or underskilled operator. ( i hear shuttles are now available in lieu of creeper trannies for the jinma now.. )

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Add to this the other chinese tractor red flags:
1) new home buyer
2) new to tractors
)</font>

Hmm.. new home ownership precludes the purchase of a chinese tractor? Not sure what the basis of that statement is..

New to tractors? That may have some merrit... depends on the user. As with antiques, the chinese tractors are a tad hands on. Still.. depends on the user. A tractor-newbi-fellow that has never changed his own oil, perhaps might not want to tackle a hands on tractor.. however.. a person with no tractor experience that has been a mechanic or machinist for 20 years may have -0- issues with throwing a wrench on a chinese tractor ( or other.. )...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Many many people who exhibit these two traits end up needing to sell the tractor within a few years )</font>

I'm still not following the connection between buying a new home, and purchasing a chinese tractor, and then needing to sell it...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the chinese brands have poor resale due to their lack of popularity (for now anyways). )</font>

I'lladmit.. I would guess the chinese would be hurt in resale vs domestic models. Add to that that I rerely ever see a chinese one for sale.. and when i do.. it is still virtually new, and the owner wants nearly as much as he paid for it. ( not sure where that leaves the seller... as i said.. only once in a blue moon do i see one of those for sale used.. )

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would strongly suggest any main-brand subcompact, which can be had (and easily financed) for around $15g )</font>

Gotta love it... it's almost cliche'... ( guys.. we here at TBN are well known on the net for giving out the most expen$ive advice for tractor purchases ).. This message is just the kind i refer to... spending someones money on an entry level tractor full setup all the bell's and whistles. I'm frankly surprised it wasn't sugested he get a new (american ) truck, and a 16' car hauler to go with it.. so lets add 27k$ to that and make it an even 42k$ that this guy needs to finance along with his new home mortgage /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ in the market #7  
For a long term purchase such as this, the initial cost is only part of the equation. Sure, the chinese imports cost considerable less new compared to a mainstream unit, but when something breaks and you have to search for and order parts that may or may not be readily available, these chinese machines can start getting costly.

I would easily recomend getting a used commonly available tractor over a chinese import any day of the week.

/ in the market #8  
Welcome to TBN.

Dig deep for information from your father-in-law on his purchase and use.

As far as the brand and where it is made, I would not worry about that just yet. Size it up, feature it out, get an idea of what you want and need to do, need first. Then go sit on some, visit your FIL, visit some dealerships for possible loaners, read TBN a lot.

TBN has excellent brand specific forums from all nations.

Every brand started elsewhere somewhere. How they stay in the market depends on consumer acceptance.

Good luck in your search.

-Mike Z.