MF 1500 or Case DX

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #1  

IndianaDC

Tractor
Case IH DX40, Hustler SuperZ HD
I am about to make a purchase and wanted to get some expert advice from the pros. Here is my dilemma. I am going to get an FEL on this tractor and have seen in other posts that the curved arms on the Case are preferred over the straight arms of the MF. Also I really like the swivel seat on the Case and the two pedal design over the single pedal of the MF. The MF dealer is somewhat local, 15 miles away, and my family has done a lot of business with them over the years. I am also a very big fan of buying local and support the local economy.

The Case dealer is about 30 miles away but more stable then the MF Dealer. Not as important as the other functions I mentioned, but I think the look and feel of the Case is much better then the MF. When you get down to using these tractors do the curved arms on the FEL, the pedal layout and the swivel seat make enough of a difference, as I think they will, to justify taking my business away from my local MF dealer to the Case dealer?

One other thing, I was told by one of these dealers that the trend is going away from filled tires to weights. Is this true, of is this dealer trying to unload a shipment of weights. He told me that if you puncture a tire is costs more to repair and can lead to corrosion.

If you have any other thoughts that could help between these two I sure like to hear them. I love my Ford Jubilee, but I simply can’t wait to get on this new tractor.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #2  
30 miles is essentially local, though not as close as the 15 miles, obviously. Regarding weights, if you can get the weights at a good price, do it. They generally cost more than filling the tires. The comments about the corrosive effects of the fluid in the tire are dependent on the type of fluid. Calcium chloride mixes are strong salt solutions and will corrode your rims and other steel. Windshield washer fluid is not as corrosive, but also not as dense (heavy per gallon). Rimgard is heavier, essentially beet juice, environmentally safe and noncorrosive. It is also more expensive, to my understanding.

I'm willing to bet the consensus here will be to get the tractor you like better (Case) from the more stable dealer. That's what I did, finally deciding on a DX29 over a Mahindra. The Case dealer is 20 miles away, the Mahindra guy is 6. The Mahindra guy is in my school district (teacher), but is a startup while the Case dealer is a family business that's been there selling red tractors for 40 years. I liked the operator's platform, the seat, the ergonomics of the controls fitting my body, the extendable link arms, the crank on the lift arms, the heavy duty bucket, and several other features better, so after much soul searching went with the farther dealer. I think you should do the same.

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #3  
From what I read in your post, what you WANT is the CASE and not the MF, and that's what you should buy. I have a curved arm loader and much prefer it, for me, over the dog-legged design.

The operator's station on the Case is much more comfortable to me, and comfort is all-important when one is going to be using the tractor for many hours at a time.

I bought my tractor from a dealer that is 35 miles away, and that's not a problem to me. He's a very good dealer and takes good care of me. I trailer the tractor, so if I need to go out there, it's not a big deal, but he is equipped to come and get it if I need him to.

As for the pedal design, I think it's a moot point as one will adjust to either very quickly. I have the treadle-pedal type that the MF has, and I like it fine. I feel that if I had two, I might hit the wrong side at times, maybe when up close to something and maybe run into a wall, but that doesn't happen with my one pedal design. That said, I'm sure I would adjust just find to a two pedal system.

I'm not sure the swivel seat is all that, but I guess it would help to take some of the stress of one's neck, as it is often necessary to be looking behind you. I'm not sure how well that works with a seatbelt wrapped across the lap, but a little turn may be more comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy your new Case tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #4  
I looked at the MF vs. the Case. Also looked at the Kubota Grand L series. I bought a Case DX because of the ergonomics. Vastly superior in comfort for me. In my opinion, the comfort question is important because of the time you will spend on the tractor. I really am happy with my decision.
The whole operating set up with the seat, joystick, visibility of the curved arm loader really suit me. However, you have to decide the same question for yourself. I really don't think you should buy a product you don't like as well just because the dealer is closer or you have done business with them before. If he sells the same product, it is one thing. However it is not your job to spend your hard earned money on a product you are not happy with just because that is the product the local dealer has. You wouldn't buy a car you didn't like just because the dealer had a better relationship with you.

/ MF 1500 or Case DX
Thanks alot for your feedback and advice. I really think the Case is the right choice for me. I just need to decide on the DX35 or the DX40. I finally was able sit on the MF today and test it out and it just does not compare to the Case in my opinion. Thanks again for your posts.

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just need to decide on the DX35 or the DX40. )</font>
How much price difference is there between them? If it were 1K or so, I'd go for the 40.

Consider how much that would cost you extra over the course of financing (if you're going that route) and it may make it worth doing. Also, over the lifetime of your ownership, it will be very little extra to have the extra horses, good for better PTO performance for just one thing.
John

/ MF 1500 or Case DX
John,
I stopped in today and the dealer quoted me an additional $1,400 for the DX40 over the DX35. Just not sure if 4 additional engine HP is worth that. The difference at the PTO is the DX35 has 29.1 and the DX40 has 33.2. Do you guys think that is worth $1,400? Also the engine goes from 3 to 4 cylinder.

My gut says that you may regret not going with the DX40, but the differences seem small to me.

Thanks

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #8  
The extra HP won't make a huge difference, but I'd rather have the 4 cly engine. Most that I've compared were quieter and smoother than the 3 cyls. These days, $1400, and spread out, isn't a huge thing, but only you can decide it it's worth it to YOU.
I don't know if the 4 cyl will be any more reliable, maybe someone with diesel mechanic experience can comment.
John

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #9  
It's hard to come by, but can the dealer show you the torque curve for each engine? The 40 has more displacement and should develop more torque, which is a better measure of useful strength than horsepower. Torque is turning force on the PTO shaft. Horsepower is how fast the turning force can be delivered. [Power = (forcexdistance)/time while torque = force x radius]

/ MF 1500 or Case DX #10  
Hydraulic pump flow is the same so I think the lift capacities are the same for both the FEL and 3PH. Check some of the recent posts by Jinman. The pressure relief valve settings may be the same which would give similar pulling performance for both. However, extra HP is always nice when mowing and PTO performance will probably be better, but other performance is likely to be the same. You can check the NH forum on this since the 35DA and 40DA would be the same machine in blue.