Montana, FarmTrac, Mahindra, Kioti

/ Montana, FarmTrac, Mahindra, Kioti #11  
The new 3215 from Mahindra has a raised seat that is also moved rearward substantially. It is very comfortable for bigger guys. It is built by Mitsubishi in Japan and is available in either shuttle shift or hydro. You should drive one before you make a decision.

/ Montana, FarmTrac, Mahindra, Kioti #12  
Coming back on this since size seems to matter - /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif - I'm 6'3 and 210, somewhat long legged and long armed with a 32" inseam and 36" shirt sleeve. I vacillated between the Mahindra and the Case(which you didn't mention), finally deciding on the Case (NH if blue) DX29 for superior ergonomics, the crank leveler on the lift arms, the suspension seat (swiveling was a bonus), the heavier loader construction, the stabilizer links, the visibility, the bucket size, the smoothness of the HST when creeping, and the stability of the dealer (40 years, same family, same store location). It took me a long time to narrow things down to those two, I'd say about a year of thinking, looking, sitting, driving, talking with dealer people, talking with people here, reading a lot here, and so on.

Bottom line -- CUTs are a very competitive but very profitable market for the manufacturers. The products are all very good. You can't really find a bad one if you stick with the major players, and probably won't find a bad one if you go with the "no-names" trying to build a reputation in the market.

If you just need a tool to get the jobs done, it's like asking which brand of shovel will work best. They'll all work. Some will fit you better than others, some will have more features than others. YOU need to decide what's important to you and how much you want to pay for it. There are lot's of detail differences between brands that may be important to one guy and not even noticed by a second person. For example, JD and Case both offer a suspension seat once you get into a certain size range. The Case swivels, the JD doesn't. Another -- the DX29 lift arm leveling mechanism is a little crank that turns on an axis perpendicular to the lift arm. Some models require a wrench, some have a ratcheting mechanism, some have a folding handle that turn a turnbuckle, etc. Link ends may be telescoping or not. There may or may not be a cigarette lighter style electrical outlet on the platform. There may be things hanging down below the tractor that could be damaged in woods use (that's why I eliminated several brands or models) and on and on. You need to invest some time and look at all the details that will make the thing better or worse for the uses you intend. Your investment will potentially be with you for many years. You will soon get accustomed to most anything you buy.

Have fun choosing, and keep us posted. Feel free to ask for all the free advice we can offer. It's worth the price. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif