Tractor for moving downed tree's.

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #1  

sparkkky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Tractor for moving downed tree\'s.

Hello, have a new 160A that has had a cedar tree cutting done and need to stack trees to burn, and have about 60A to plow one time to plant native grass.

How many horses and what model do I need? What kind of attachment will work best with my FEL to handle downed tree's?

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #2  
Re: Tractor for moving downed tree\'s.

Buy for the activities you are going to do over and over again. For a one time plowing go rent equipment.

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #3  

Funny you should post this, because I was piling trees just yesterday, and will be for the next few days.

I use my Kioti DK 45 with the loader bucket in front. I usually cut down three to five threes at a time (these are about 30-50 tall, about 12-16" in diameter at the base with very few limbs). I can usually just push one to the next to the next and push it to a pile. Once I start getting several bundles, I can just push and roll the bundles up higher and higher.

Having said that, it would even be easier if I had a fork/grapple bucket, but I don't do it too much so the loader works good as is.

I would recommend something from 30-60 hp, depending on how much you want to spend. The pushing and piling will go easier with the bigger tractor, and the plowing will go quicker, but all of the tasks could be accomplished with any of them.

Of course, you could always go even bigger than 60, and the jobs just get easier, but then attachments get even more expensive, etc. etc.

Good luck with your search.

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #4  

Really depends on the size of the trees, but most tress can be skidded and pushe with a med sized tractor, 4o hp or so. as for the plowing, if it is a one time deal rent or have it done. Buy your tractor for what u will use it for most of the time.

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #5  

With that much I wouldn't want less than 60 horse.

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's.

Thanks, guys been looking at Mahindras, NH, Kiotis, and Kubotas. Been working my cedars with my home made forks on the bucket of my B21 so anything will be a upgrade.

Thinking about a L3130 or L4400 because of price and using a QD fork for hooking and draging.

Why would I not get a two bottom plow to use for fire breaks or garden?

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #8  

Sparky,

I don't think you NEED to go more than the 30-35 hp range. Sure, bigger is easier, but how much easy do you want to spend? After all, your cedars aren't huge and heavy like a 35-40" diameter Oak, are they?

I use a Kubota L3410 HST with R4's and chains and have moved quite a few logs. The loader could be more powerful as the old 10 series grand L's only had the option of the 1050 pound lift loader. The 723 loader on a L3830 would be about perfect. Probably R4's for ruggedness. Spend the money on a QD fork for the front, it will make short work of the cedars.

Sub out the large plowing and get it over and done with. Then buy a 60 or 72" 3pt rototiller. Or a 6 - 6 1/2' tandem disc for the smaller jobs.

jb

/ Tractor for moving downed tree's. #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks, guys been looking at Mahindras, NH, Kiotis, and Kubotas. Been working my cedars with my home made forks on the bucket of my B21 so anything will be a upgrade. )</font>
I've done enough tree work with my little CK20 to know that if you were to buy a DK35 or DK45S, you would have plenty of power to do what you want to do with what you've told us.

I've pulled 20 foot x 2ft pines all over my place, and I've used both the above tractors for various tasks, and don't see any reason you couldn't do all your work with either of those.

After your major work is done, either of these will then still be adequate for most any job you might want to do.

I hope you enjoy your search, it can be a large part of the whole tractor experience. Good luck
John

So how long would it take to plow 60A with a two bottom? When I was a kid I use to pull a three bottom and 40A seemed to take forever!