New (used) tractor for me

/ New (used) tractor for me #1  

DaveNay

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas
Hello friends.

I have been searching for another tractor to use for haying my 10 acres, and I have come across this one as a leading candidate. I was wondering if anyone can lend some insight as to the quality and reliability of this model, as well as if the pricing seems to be in the correct range.

The intended use will be to power a New Idea Cut/Ditioner mower, a New Holland small square baler and a ground drive rake. The land is approx 10 acres (possibly leasing an additional 20 next season) of very flat (3 ' max deviation) Illinois alfalfa/clover/grass mix.

Tractor description:
CASE 685 2 WHEEL DRIVE FARM TRACTOR, 61 HP 4-239 diesel, 8F-4R transmission, canopy, 2 hydraulic circuits, 3 point hitch, 540 RPM PTO, good condition, approximate weight 5,720 lbs., 1987, B020700 series

Asking: $5950.
Additional picture

Thanks!

/ New (used) tractor for me #2  
The Cases of that period that I've seen were very good tractors. I'm not familiar directly with that one, but the price is pretty much in line with others that I've seen in that HP.

As long as you check it out well for leaks and overall condition, I think it's probably a good deal. It certainly looks well maintained in the pictures, but of course, nothing like being there.

Since I don't hay, I'm not sure how it will handle the particular equipment you have, but I would think at nearly 6K it should be sufficient.

John

/ New (used) tractor for me #3  
Friends of mine have a 585 Case from about the same time.
Good running tractor. One thing if you are haying and have to spend some time on hard surfacr road you are looking at having to replace those rear tires soon. Would figure that it will cost about $800 by the time you are thru. I'd tell the guy you'd give him the asking price if he cuts you a deal on some rears, AND he mounts them for you before you take delivery. Bobg in Va

/ New (used) tractor for me #4  
Dave,
Another place to look is Buck Brothers has a large Ag auction on their property in May every year. They usually have 5 or 6 tractors around that age and size (+|-). Just thought I'd mention it.

If you go there, they also have several other auctions listed on their board just inside the front door.

Sorry I can't help about this specific tractor. Looks like it would do the job though. How many hours are on it?

I gather you aren't aquiring an NH stacker.

Cliff

/ New (used) tractor for me
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I gather you aren't aquiring an NH stacker.)</font>

Negative, Andy sold the stacker, and it is on it's way to Kansas.

I spoke with a few more locals, and the Case IH I mentioned at the top of this thread has moved down a notch in it's appeal. It seems like this particular dealer attends the state auctions, and purchases retiring tractors from there, so if this is a former state highway tractor, the maintenance and careful use is suspect.

I also have a Oliver 1850 with the gas engine that I am going to look at this week.

/ New (used) tractor for me #6  
I would think that a state highway tractor would be well maintained, if not carefully used. Hours would weight heavily if I were looking at this tractor. As with any used tractor, it's a bit of a crap shoot regarding previous maintanence and use, unless you know the owner/operators.

/ New (used) tractor for me
Looked at several tractors this evening.

Oliver 1650, narrow front, gasoline. Approx 3000 hrs. $4000
Oliver 1850, wide front, gasoline. Approx 5000 hrs. $5500
Farmall 656, narrow front, gasoline. Approx 4000 hrs. $5000
Oliver 1655, narrow front, diesel. 2850 hrs. $7000

All of the tractors are in great external condition and started instantly on the first try.

The 1655 is really nice, but a little more than I want to pay. The 1850 is in the poorest external condition (still great though) and is probably more HP than I require.

I am leaning towards the 1650 or the 656. A little more towards the 1650.

/ New (used) tractor for me #8  
Looks like a hyway mowing tractor. They can get a LOT of hours, mostly PTO time, and run by someone who doesn't have to pay for the damage they do. It doesn't look all beat up, which is USUALLY a good sign.

Regular maint. helps, long hard hours hurts. I've seen a couple old hyway tractors with 1000 RPM PTO's. Make sure it's 540 or 540/1000.

Looks like a great bush hogging tractor.