Another newbie

/ Another newbie #1  

v8svo

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I am a first time buyer looking at a tractor in the upper 20 to mid 30 hp range. Currently I am leaning toward the Kubota L3400HST w/ LA463 FEL 60" bucket. I plan to keep the tractor forever, should I pony up the bucks ($3400) to get to L3430HST w/ LA763 w/72" bucket? Yesterday I stopped to check out a 28 hp Cub Cadet but it does not feel to be in the same class as the others. I think my signature will show what I am looking to do. Thanks for any and all help.

/ Another newbie #2  
You may find the wider bucket too large if you're spending a lot of time doing trails through the woods.

Cliff

/ Another newbie #3  
I do not see any reason for you to go up to the next level, because you will have more than enough tractor with the L3400. I do a lot more than that with my 21HP CK20, and it handles it just fine.

Save the money for another implement.
John

/ Another newbie #4  
1/4 mile of road sounds like a a lot of work to do without a lot of shifting. Are you dead set on HST?? If not, go check out a traditional shift tractor that the orange company has or a JD 790. HST robs you of several HP. If you are going to go scrape/level/maintain 1500' at a time and shift probably once, a HST is not needed especially if you are not doing a lot of finish mowing around a house.

/ Another newbie
Interesting that you should bring up the transmission. That has been a tough call, dead set on HST? No, but the only other option I have really considered was the GST but that is only available in the Grand series. We are planning on getting the FEL, back blade and either a front blade or a snowblower. We are not going to get a mower at all. I want a tractor the both my wife and I can drive, that is the reason for the HST and now lean toward the L3400. Point well taken on the width of the bucket 60", you folks are right. Thanks for the sanity check, sometimes I have a tendency to go overboard and you caught me.

/ Another newbie #6  
I keep forgetting that my family is not normal. The last 5 or so vehicles in a row we have bought have all been straight drive. My daughter is only 21 and she has about 110,000 miles of driving under her belt with all straight drives spaced over her first three vehicles. Shifting a transmission is not hard. Newcomers to straight drives are sometimes scared of the unknown. That fear disappears after about 30 minutes. The beauty of tractor transmissions is no clutching!!! You have to stop completely, change gears and then start out again. No shifting on the fly like a car. Most of us enjoy seat time and the need to hurry up the driving process is not needed. I can see the HST advantage for someone who spends 30+ hours a week in the seat every week, but for most of us on TBN, 30 hours of actual running time is more like a season's worth of use. You will be on a tractor on your own property; slow down and enjoy life......

/ Another newbie #7  
LIKE JOHN SAID, the L3400 should be more than enough for your needs. I like the HST, granted you do lose a few HP at pto. but i personally find it easier to operate, ESPECIALLY as i got older, no clutching, no shifting! not saying it is better than geared, just better for me.

/ Another newbie #8  
v8vso,

Welcome to TBN.

I would defintely go HST. Gears are a hassle. HST gives you much better finite control & is MUCH easier to use especially for your better half. If you want you can crawl at 1/2 an inch per second with HST & you don't have to think about what gear you are in or changing gears. Also, for front loader work you can't beat it.

As for the L3430HST vs. L3400 I would go for all the tractor you can now. Sure the L3400 will do most of what you want but the L3430HST I guess can be considered the deluxe version. However, besides the better ergonomics.....seating, more operator platform room, tilt steering, etc. you are also getting the following;

- Over 1,000 lbs more lift capacity of the 3 pt. hitch (24" past lift point).

- Heavy duty front axle for more front loader capacity.

- Telescopic lower link ends on 3 pt hitch which makes connecting implements much easier.

- 700lbs more weight for overall tractor.

These are all big bonuses because you never know what you will get into in the future especially with 10 acres.

Don't let anybody try to talk you into a smaller tractor. You are talking about 1,320 ft. of driveway you want to keep up & be able to keep clear of snow. The more weight & the larger the tractor the easier & FASTER you will be able to do this. As it is, it still will take you an hour or two depending upon accumulation.

I agree with other posters remark with regard to FEL. Even if you go Grand L 3430 series tractor, 60" would make it much easier to maneuver in the woods.

You & the wife need to try both tractors out & see which tractor seems to fit better.

Good luck with whatever you finally decide & keep us posted.

Vic

/ Another newbie
Gordon21, it is not that we are scared of a stick shift, we currently drive a stick shift Mustang with about 500 hp. We have been told by every salesman we have talked to that the because we are looking at using a FEL and moving snow we are likely to wear a clutch out and the cost of a clutch job is more that the difference between gear shift and HST. The Kubota dealer we have talked to the most has both in stock, is he just trying to sell us a more expensive tractor or is the HST really easier to use? I understand that the fluid must be kept clean and changed on the prescribe intervals , if we do that is the HST reliable? Simple to operate was the reason to consider HST. Maybe we need to rethink the transmission choice? That is the reason I entered the Forum, to get the thoughts of seasoned tractor users. Thanks for trying to help me make the right choice.

/ Another newbie #10  
V8SVO,

I think it is most important that you make the right choice the FIRST time. You take a big hit to make it right later if you don't.

My gut tells me if I were in your position (what I imagine your position might be with 10 acres) I would go for the L3430 HST and not look back. Main reason is the increased capacity of the loader. We always seem to want more...

Should you wish to add a backhoe at some future time, you would have the option of the BH90 for the L3430. I am not sure if this hoe will fit the L3400; perhaps the L3400 can only take the 3PH BL4690A. This may not be an issue at all as you probably don't want a backhoe anyway.

Personally I am a fan of a loader bucket that is just a bit wider than the rear tires, to make it easier to get between trees and such.

Not sure if this is any help or not. Myself I decided on one size Kubota, then on a whim stepped up one size and afterwards realized I did the right thing in going bigger.

Good luck in your decision and enjoy the selection process!