Comparison Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #1  

jmakinst

I am looking at the Kubota L3830 and the John Deere 3520, both of which are about the same price, and have many of the same features. I'd be interested to hear which tractor you think I should purchase and why.
Thanks,
jmakinst

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #2  
Hi jmakinst,

I don't know what your prices are exactly, so...

Those are the "top two" arguably in sales & loyalty... you have opened the door for a color war /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Usually the JD is priced higher than the Kubota per hp... so your quoted prices would help everyone here...

Honestly you will love whatever tractor you are blessed to operate, so test them both out for a while to see how each fits you for controls/ergonomics, definitely try a loader (& get a loader--baddest the frame will carry) preferably rigged with the implement(s) you are hoping to use most often...

Then sit down & get to know the guys that might be helping or hindering you down the road... get their best prices, then go to the dealer/machine (hopefully same!) you liked best & tell those guys you want to be their customer.

And have fun, buying a tractor is fun--operating even better!

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520
Thanks.

The Kubota L3830 is a 2 year old machine with 216 hours (LA723 Loader with quick attach heavy duty bucket). It is in virtually new condition and the price is $17,500.

The Deere 3520 (300Xloader with 61 inch materials bucket) will run $20,400. I could go with the slightly smaller 3320 for about $19,400.

I need a tractor, primarily, to mow about 40-50 acres of grassland on my property a few times per year and then also for work around the farm. I'm retired, so it is definitely more for personal use.

I knew I might start a color war of sorts, but I guess that is part of my question. What makes JD worth the extra cost? I do seem to be leaning in that direction.

Thanks!
jmakinst

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #4  
I've jumped back and forth between JD and Kubota over the years. I don't have any real preference between the two other than I seem to like JD better. I can't tell you why and I currently have a Kubota L5030HSTC. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess from that you can figure out that even though my personal preference is slightly towards JD, I do have a limit on how much better (dollar wise) I like the JD. I would guess that I'd say to go drive both and then just go with what your gut feeling tells you. I suppose that is what I do and I cannot tell you which I'd prefer in any particular instance without first driving them and weighing the price differences to my personal preference.

I'm not trying to straddle the fence on any color war, but tell you that I don't have any strong feelings either way. After owning both I just flat don't have any feelings either way that would preclude possibly buying the other. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Good luck!

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #5  
When I was looking at a L3130 vs a JD 4310. I ended up making my decision based on my preference toward the JD controls. I liked the Hydro controls and loader contols much better on the Deere, I liked the instrument panel on the L better however. I'm sure I would have been very happy with the either, but Green has served me well.

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #6  
I think you will find the JD to be a more comfortable setup, but there are those who'd argue the orange is.

Two things the JD does for certain add is LoadMatch and a turbo. They make for an amazing workhorse in real life. I prefer the direct injection and self bleeding fuel system, as well.

But both are great machines.

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #7  
Will you be getting a warranty with the K? That could make a difference. The number of hours it has are nothing, but a warranty is worth something.

I think, in the long run, that it boils down to which one YOU like. Over the life of the tractor, the price difference isn't really all that much, assuming you will keep it until you're finished!

Quality-wise, I don't think anyone could argue that one is better than the other. Both have had problems in some areas just as all things man-made have, but they are both very good brands.
Loadmatch and other automated options are fine for some, but to me, it's just another expensive item that can go wrong, but that's me.

John

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #8  
Can go wrong, definately. But you never actually hear of any. These systems have been used for years on construction equipment, and I have really enjoyed having them YMMV!!

(BTW, You have a nice machine, John, I would really enjoy it, too!)

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #9  
someone should point out here that the Kubota is more physical tractor than the Deere. The 3pt lifts 600lbs more, and the 723 loader not only lifts about 300lbs more, but has all the functions that a loader valve should have like lift & curl, dump and lower, speed dump, etc,etc. The deere is just 4 positions plus float. The common complaints with the 3000 series Deere's is that the direct inject engines smoke, the hood flops around, they have a 1" driveline from the engine to tranny - Kubota, CNH, etc all use 2".

They are both good tractors, like as been said - drive them both and buy what feels better.

/ Kubota L3830 versus John Deere 3520 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can go wrong, definately. But you never actually hear of any. These systems have been used for years on construction equipment, and I have really enjoyed having them YMMV!!

(BTW, You have a nice machine, John, I would really enjoy it, too!) )</font>
You're probably right. It's just my idea of down the road. I can imagine that fixing it would cost a LOT of money. Deere parts are not exactly known for their inexpensive prices!!

I love the idea of it. I'm sure it makes life a lot easier while working the tractor.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm well pleased with my little, but strong machine.
John