MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ?

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #1  

CWP37

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5103 w/ 512 LDR
In TX, I'm seeing package deals for these tractors with loader, 6' cutter, 6' box blade, and trailer for right around $20k.

Any opinions on these two tractors or any other brands in the 50 hp range for the same price?

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #2  
The only thing that I can say if that if I was looking at that size, I would get the next size larger than the MF 431. The only reason is that you will have more options available.

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #3  
I read a lot of chatter about the 431s being less than desirable a while back. There were complaints of excessive vibration from the engine as being one of the main considerations.

I much prefer Masseys 1400 and 1500 series tractors. Check out the 1455 or the 1552. I think you'd be more satisfied with one of these.
John

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #4  
If you would tell me where you saw that I would like to see what they have to say, because the 431, 451 and 461 all use the same engine. I have never heard anything about any vibration problem.

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #5  
Jerry, just because you haven't heard of one, doesn't make it not so now does it? It was all the 4X1s but the poster was asking about the 431 not the others.

I'm sure you would have a hard time telling me where you read something about 2-3 years in the past, and I'm no more able to tell you now than you would be.

I read everything I could about just about every model when I was looking for a new tractor, and saw comments about the vibration often.
John

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #6  
The 431 uses the same basic designed Perkins 3 cylinder that's been used on Masseys since the mid 1950's. It is about as smooth operating as any engine ever to grace a farm tractor. It is also (stood the test of time) probably the most reliable engine ever too. I'd dismiss the "vibration chatter" as just that, chatter.

There is a good reason why that engine has outsold everything going since the MF35 started using it way back when. There must be several millions of them in use to this day. I have one in a Massey 150. It flat DOES NOT vibrate any more than any other small diesel, and looks to me to vibrate LESS than most. I'm not repeating gossip, I'm telling you what I know from almost 30 years of USING a Perkins 153-3 on a daily basis.

Several of the 400 series use that same engine. Jerry had good reason to comment on "other 400 series tractors".

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #7  
<font color="blue"> Jerry, just because you haven't heard of one, doesn't make it not so now does it? </font>
Testy aren't we. That is why I ask where you saw it so I could see what they were talking about. Can't you do that without getting mad?

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #9  
I suspect that we're having a failure to communicate based on the typed word, not on my true attitude. I was not in the least angry, I was just making a point that what I've read, you may have missed.

I'm sorry I can't find the references, it was too long ago, but one of the offended parties was much more colorful in his description of the vibration problems he was having.

That's why I recommended the compact 1400s or 1500s, never read a bad thing about them.
John

/ MF 431 vs. JD 5103 vs. ? #10  
John,
I don't doubt that there was ONE that might have had a problem. There have been literally millions of this engines made and installed over the years. The way it came off was that it was an inherit problem. That it isn't.

It depends on what he wants to and how rugged the tractor needs to be as to whether he needs a 14 or 1500 series or a 400 series.