SubCUT or CUT

/ SubCUT or CUT #1  

tractorkid

As I narrow down my tractor choices I am having trouble deciding whether or not I should get a CUT or subCUT. I can get a CUT right now with just a loader and then add a backhoe in the future or a subCUT with a loader and a backhoe right now. I will be using the tractor mainly for moving rocks, dirt, mulch and other materials, plowing 500' driveway, and doing some things for the neighbors. The backhoe will not be used as often as the loader but will be used for basic things such as digging for planting as well as other tasks I can find to use it for. I have about 3 acres plus woods behind us and neighbors who I help out. We live in New England in the soil is pretty rocky.
What would you recommend, the CUT with the loader and backhoe later or the subCUT with the loader and backhoe. Also, turf or R4's. The tractor will be used on the lawn and in the woods but will not be used for mowing but i do not want to tear up the lawn at all.
Thanks in advance.

/ SubCUT or CUT #2  
Hi Tractorkid,
I would think a sub cut would probablly be adequate for the amount of property that you have and would be more than capable of doing everything youve mentioned in your post. If for some reason that in the future you decide to get more property you would want something larger.

I think that you should get out there and test drive some different units at some of your local dealers, to find out what you like and or dont like!

scotty

/ SubCUT or CUT #3  
Not quite sure what you will be using the machine in the woods for or if you need extra ground clearance, but it sounds as if a subcut such as the bx24 would be perfect for you.
Nothing you will be using it for sounds like you would tax the machine and they make good mowers. Plus you get the backhoe now that you would have to wait for with a larger machine.
The next step up in machines are basically the same size and weight as a subcut with larger tires and full catgory 1 three point hitch.
Some people do not like bringing a subcut into the woods as they say they need more ground clearance, but I like them as they ae shorter and can get into tighter areas. Just need to clear a path first.

/ SubCUT or CUT
I agree that a subCUt would fulfill my needs, but then I second guess that which is why I am looking for others' opinions. In making this purchase I will be trading/selling my 1995 Kubota B7100 with front loader. When looking at the size of my land I think the subCUT would work, but then I think, well I have been able to max out the B7100 so am I better off with the bigger machine as I do not need it to mow since I have a seperate machine designated for mowing. Being able to get the backhoe now draws me towards the subCUT but then I think either way I will be making a large investment so I don't want to get a subCUT and be constantly finding its max. capabilities. I keep going back and forth which is why I came looking for the help of others. Do people who own subCUTs find they run into their max capabilites or have they handled everything you have put them up to. As far as going in the woods, it is on uncleared paths. Also, I often use my tractor to pull trees in the right direction when cutting them if they are leaning the opposite way.
Thanks again

/ SubCUT or CUT #5  
I looked LONG and HARD at the BX series of tractors...decided on the B series..26 HP..and then friends talked me into going for the B3030. Every hour Im on it..Im more glad I DIDNT get a BX series!!

/ SubCUT or CUT #6  
If you go much into the woods consider that the subCUTS (at least BX and JD 2305) have plastic cooling fans underneath that can get damaged. The CUTs generally locate their hydraulic coils in front of the radiators. Don't know why the manufacturers do this. Must have something to do with wanting to keep them shorter in length.

Ralph

/ SubCUT or CUT #7  
I bought a subcut, which I use quite a bit. But, then I had a need for a CUT, which I just bought. Get the CUT now and save yourself the regrets (and money) later. I've never heard anyone say they wished they'd bought a smaller tractor. I suggest looking at the Kioti CK20. They'rea real nice machine for your uses, and you might find that you can get the backhoe now. Also, look at the TYM T233 or T273 - nice size and design, and quite the machine. There are excellent, quality options besides JD, NH, and Kubota.

/ SubCUT or CUT #8  
I own a BX23 for about 2.5 acres. I do not do any mowing with it. Had A B2410 previously and miss it. I like the higher ground clearance and position control 3 point hitch on the B2410. Although I like the backhoe of the BX23 I do not use it as much as I thought I would. Turning the seat around for using the backhoe is a pain. I would rather have a CUT with a second seat for the backhoe.

I sometimes think about trading the BX23 for a B2630 or B3030. I have been disappointed in using the BX for brushcutting. The tractor is lower and seems to smash down high grass/weeds and the rotary cutter cannot cut it well. I had a much better cut with the B2410. Had turf tires on it and they worked well even in snow.

/ SubCUT or CUT #9  
Point 1, Since your not going to use it for mowing I'd recommend a Cut. Finish mowing is the Scuts forte'. Wroking in the woods is the Cuts forte'.

Point 2, Since you don't forsee much BH work I'd recommend the Cut. BH's are the most expensive implement you can add. Whether it be on a Scut or Cut. My BH sits on a dollie 90% of the time but when I need it, it's priceless. I wouldn't have purchased one if it wouldn't ahve been part of the package deal.

I have a BX23 and for my needs it's just about the perfect fit. I primarily finish mow with it which means the FEL & BH are dismounted most of the time. That lightens it up by about 1000 lbs plus shrinks it's footprint. Both are desireable for finish mowing around abstacles.
I do use the FEL quite a bit and mounting/dismounting it takes only a few minutes. There are times that I would like more capacity out of the FEL but it still does fine.
I maintain alittle over 4 acres. I don't have any woods so I didn't need a machine with high ground clearance. I also don't put out a large garden anymore so I didn't have a need to work large ground engagement implements either so going with a Scut was the right thing for me.
From what you've indicated, a Cut sounds like a better fit for you.
Test 'em all out, that'll be your best determining factor.
Good luck
Volfandt

/ SubCUT or CUT #10  
I only have 2.3 acres & NO woods. Was looking at a 33 HP machine & ended up with the next size up.....35 HP Class III Boomer. I already had a riding lawn mower that I was trying to use for all the tasks around my homestead. Have two horses & am still in the middle of landscaping 1 acre. From my experience with the riding lawn mower I definitely wanted to make sure I went big enough the FIRST time. Well......I definitely have enough tractor. Could I have gone with a Class II.....probably but would have taken longer to do some of the chores. PLUS......I want to move rock (more like boulders) as part of my landscaping. Even the 35 HP machine won't be big enough to do this so will need to contract out. Of course I won't be moving that size of rock every year, (probably only two years) as I want to get granite & it is dear.

Your predicament seems somewhat similar to mine so I would definitely say go for the CUT. You will be kicking yourself in the head if you make a decision for a SubCUT & find out you did'nt buy enough tractor. Buy a bigger tractor, you can always downsize later if you feel you went too large.

I have turfs although originally I wanted R4's for the better traction. (Bought tractor used at 79 hrs.) Initially, the first winter, I was loosing some grip but that was only because I had no counterweight on the back. Added 500 LBS on 3 pt. hitch & what a difference it made both in traction (zero slip) & FEL operation, (much smoother). Also glad I ended up with turfs as I do no damage to the lawn even with this size tractor. Were talking 4,000 Lbs of tractor meat !! Now on the negative side, if it gets too wet or sloppy (mucky) out, tractor stays in the barn as I will just rut the yard or pasture. Of course a subCUT will do this as well but not as badly. That brings me to the point about counterweight if you do go with a CUT & FEL. Make sure you get this weight in the back as it also has the effect of taking some of the weight off the front tires. I noticed a marked improvement in how much the front (narrower) tires dug into the ground (if soft). The turfs being wider than R4's spread the weight much better especially the rears.

Sorry about the rambling. Sometimes I get carried away.

Good Luck TRACTOR hunting.

Vic