Tractor Sizing tractor size ??

/ tractor size ?? #11  
Tractor: I wouldn't personally be comfortable with a CUT for that service. I would want something heavier like a MF 471, TN 65, or Mahindra 7010CAB. Price may not be any more. Have the dealer set the wheels wider before delivery - for stability. Also find a good tire service that can/will do roadside service for tractor tires. If it's anything like our conditions in MO you WILL have some punctured tires.

Mower: Are all 60 miles short lawn-type grass? Does your contract require lawn grade results? If you have any brush or heavy weeds and your contract allows, I would opt for a HD rotary (brush hog). Too much roadside junk out there. Finally, are all 60 miles flat? no drainage culverts, no slope down from roadbed to ditch & back up on the other side of ditch? If the entire 8' width isn't flat, always, you will probably need something that can flex across the 8' - like a small batwing.

On the other hand, if you are thinking you can average 6 mph (60 miles in 10 hours) it must be mostly level and clean.

/ tractor size ?? #12  
Come to think of it on what Fred said 60 miles in one day is a quick job. Are you sure you are only going to have to do 1 pass. When we wre mowing county roads we always had at least to tractors going, one with a 6' bushhog and one with a 15' batwing. We made one pass with each down the side of the road and we never got 30 miles done in a day, provided we worked 8 hour days from the time we got to the shop to the time we left the shop (minus lunch) and we were doing good to get 10 miles one way done.
Road signs, culverts, mailboxes, driveways etc take time to mow around. The tractor I was on was gear shift (either an old 3400 Ford or a 5205 JD), from experience I can say a hydrostatic trans or a shuttle shift would have been very nice. Since I was the low man on the totem pole I got whatever tractor wasn't already spoken for so the NH (model???) with shuttle shift was done spoken for. But I liked that 3400 Ford, a low slung tractor with a wide stance and traction out of this world!

/ tractor size ?? #13  
Years ago I did a little road mowing for a county, unless your roadside is a LOT smoother then what the one I did, you do not want a finish mower. Finish mowers are not meant for the type of rough stuff road mowing gets into.

/ tractor size ?? #14  
Honestly, highboard, the more that we drill down on this the more I'm thinking we need to change what you're thinking about here.

The 1552 is just fine as a compact tractor w/cab. But, you're talking about some serious duty for that type of tractor here. The only lengthy roadsides requiring nothing more than finish-mowing that I've seen are those inside of state/national parks or in housing subdivisions. County/rural roads are generally laden with rocks, fence posts, garbage, lumber, wire, and the odd culverts and concrete. No finish mower on this planet will last long being drug over 60 miles of even remotely rough ground.

So, we will have to look at something else as your primary cutter. The 1522 is going to be the absolute smallest cabbed rig you can get that will have a chance of doing what you want to do. Little or no room for error here.

I believe that you're best bet is to look at the 471 2wd w/cab and try to get a package deal from your MF dealer for a 4007 rotary cutter and a 1771 finish mower to handle each of these chores. You don't need 4wd for this, not even close.

You have the 1552 at the extreme low-end with a 13.2 gallon tank and the 471 in the very comfortable range with a 29 gallon tank. The 1522 at 3500lbs vs. the 471 at 6600lbs. The extra weight and metal will come in handy on those 60 mile round trips. Fuel burn? The 471, while having more than twice the fuel capacity, will not burn twice as much as the 1552 with the same 8' shredder behind it.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. A good tractor and good implements that can handle the job will last a long time. Buy too small or light and you'll be replacing things left and right for years to come.

Seriously, see what the MF dealer can work up on a 471 cabbed 2wd and the 8' finish/rotary mowers and then decide if you can afford the package. You're better off in the short and long run..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ tractor size ?? #15  
To add, of your dealers, Kioti has DK55/65 models with cab........but apparently only with 4wd. But, they do offer the same sized rotary/finish mowers as MF. Get a quote from their dealer as well on the same equipment.

NH offers the TK45-55 in 2wd with equivalent equipment too.

Right now, you need to upsize the tractor and try to secure a quote on a package from one of the bunch.

/ tractor size ?? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but apparently only with 4wd. )</font>
They are switchable 2/4 WD, which to me, is an advantage, but probably costs a little more than a straight 2WD.
John

/ tractor size ??
should have mentioned this....
I need a tractor for my 12 acre farm. almost bought the 1533 4WD w/ FEL, but this mowing gig came up so I figured on upsizing the CT to 1552 w/ cab & FEL to meet the 8' cut. the tractor would be used mostly on farm but obviously needs to be able to perform the 8' mowing 2 times a month.

as for the mowing: terrain is very flat & very clean. this is why I thought a finish mower might be a good idea(?)

I know a 471 2wd & cab would probably be the best machine, but need the 4wd at my farm and 471 w/ FEL i think would be a bit big (hoping a 1552 size machine would work) but love the 471 fuel capacity idea. I should probably go sit on one.

8' Flail mower?? never thought about that, I assumed the maintenance & blade replacement is alot of $$

I guess its kind of a balancing act I'm trying to get between the the farm & 8' mowing.
How bout a Deere?

/ tractor size ??
Joe thanks for your input
the mowing is actually a state walking / biking trail and is very clean & very flat - tis why I thought about the finish mower.

/ tractor size ?? #19  
Knowing it's a state non-motorized trail is helpful, but if it's alongside a road you will get all kinds of litter unless someone picks it up before you mow. I heard the subcontracted flail mower hit something on my county road as he went by, so went to check. I was very glad the 20 gallon propane tank he hit was empty. He had put a serious cut in it, about 4 inches long or so, but nothing blew up. Think if it had been full and under pressure sitting there waiting for an innocent mower to come along. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The tractor is a NH, don't what model, but definitely an Ag size with a considerable counterweight hung on the off side from the mower. The roadsides are ditched and his flail is about 8 or 9 feet long, covered with heavy canvas to catch flying debris. They also have a deal with a bush hog on a hydraulic arm to mow heavy brush on the banks along the road. Some people call it the tree eater. Again, it's on a good sized Ag tractor, I'd guess in the 60 to 75 hp range.

/ tractor size ?? #20  
the mowing is actually a state walking / biking trail and is very clean & very flat - tis why I thought about the finish mower

How ironic.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe a heavy finish mower will get you by just fine.....?