Tractor or zero turn??

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #1  

tgicountryboy

I am moving to a 10 acre place and trying to save some money (already spending too much on building a new house). I would appreciate some advice from you guys on what equipment would work best and cost the least. I was looking at a Kubota L3400 with FEL and brush hog, but the price tag scared me away. I started wondering if I could get by without a tractor for a couple of years and buy a zero turn instead (Grasshopper with an attached blade), thereby saving me about $7000. My land is rolling hills with no trees (except a few along a creek bed that runs along back of property), an old tobacco barn and a 200 foot gravel drive. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #2  
For 10 acres of mowing, I'd go with a CUT and either MMM or RFM (rear 3pt mower).

I mow 8 acres, and prefer to do it with a tractor (JD X485) with MMM as I don't like hanging onto the steering levers all the time. Much more relaxing to me to drive with one hand, leaving the other free to move a branch, have a drink, wipe my nose, sneeze, scratch, whatever that would be less convenient if holding each steering lever. Some have steering wheels, and that I would find important.

The miriad of other chores I do with the tractor keep me convinced that a dedicated lawn mower as a ZTR isn't for me.
But it is enjoyed by many who do like them.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #3  
How much of that 10 acres do you plan on mowing? I've got a house on 10 acres that is fairly hilly. I've got a 1/2 acre pond and probably another 3/4-1 acre of ditch line. I haven't put a yard in yet (just built last year) but the part that will be 'lawn' will be probably 3/4 acre. The rest is old pasture that I've bushogged down to a respectable level.

I have an L3000 and pull a 5' bushog. No way could I pull more. It takes me a looooong time to get everything mowed with that setup. I've got to really watch my angle of attack on the pond dam and a couple other places, which really slows things down. I plan on letting most everything but the 'lawn' go with only 1 or 2 cuts per season.

My point is, I think you'll spend all your free time on your ZTR trying to keep up with 10 acres, if that's your intention. I can let things go a good bit longer and still attack them with the bushog. I don't think the ZTR would allow you that luxury.

Besides the list of things you can do with your tractor is neverending. The list of things you can accomplish with a ZTR is fairly limited.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #4  
From your discription of the place a tractor with a rotart cutter and a rear finish mower will do your yard and cut your field and do many other projects that a ZTR can't.
A ZTR is designed for speed and maneuverability around obsticles.
A flat open field is not ZTR country.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #5  
Just my personal opinion, of course, but I think if you buy the ZTR instead of the tractor, you'll regret it, probably buy the tractor later and will have spent more money in the long run. Maybe look at the "B" series of Kubotas instead of the "L" series to save a little money, but sooner or later you're really going to want a tractor with a front end loader.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #6  
Why don't you look at a smaller tractor? Ten acres is a lot to mow, and obviously a ZTR would blow away the RFM combo for mowing (I have had both and ZTR is the best for mowing). But, it will not do everything you want it to do. Maybe look at the next smaller size Kubota, John deere or whatever brand you like and get the biggest mower it can handle. It will save you money and will not lose a lot of time. For example a used 4115 JD with either a 72" MMM or RFM will mow about three-three and a half flat acres per hour if you hoof it, which is not slower by much than what a larger tractor would do. The ZTR would be faster but only by an hour or so which is not worth the other compromises in your case.

John M

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #7  
I went through the exact same dilemma at this time last year, I have 57 acres, with approximately 2 lawn, 6 field that I maintain. YMMV, but I looked at the B series, the L series, JDs,... I made a chart of cost and utility and ended up with a Kubota ZG23 zero-turn demo with 6 hours and full warranty and a used Yanmar 1602D with loader and rototiller. I have since added a 4' bushhog, 5' boxblade, posthole digger,.... all for significantly less than a B or L with loader and mower. Down the road I will probably add a bigger tractor for other chores, but this solution works pretty well for me.

Cheers,
Rob

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #8  
From what you describe, the L3400 is probably too much tractor for your needs. With a tight budget, I would recommend a B7800 with FEL and a mid-mount mower, maybe even a BX. I would also get a back blade that will be useful with the driveway and also provide good counter-weight for FEL use.

The tractor will mow well (though not quite as fast as a ZTR), but there are sooooo many other things you can with it that the ZTR just won't do.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #9  
Tough choice to make for sure. But, a tractor is the way to go unless you just want to get a mower now and then spend the money later for the tractor. In the long run, you'll spend more that way, but would probably end up with two machines better suited to their particular jobs. For your size property, I would think a bush hog would be absolutely necessary, at some point. Buying used should also be considered, especially if not in a hurry so that you can wait for that perfect used purchase opportunity.

Just remember, there are other tractors out there besides Kubota. Some offer more tractor for the money too, depending on regional sales demographics. In addition to the big 3, I would suggest looking at Kioti, Tym, Mahindra, Agco, and Montana. These are all excellent machines that might fit your needs and save you some money as well.

At some point, you'll find that you need a serious tractor for many chores, and that you'll also need a maneuverable, easy on the grass, mower too. I would start with a tractor and bush hog. Add an RFM and other attachments. Then buy an inexpensive mower later when you need that nimble mowing machine.

/ Tractor or zero turn?? #10  
I have a ZTR, and if I had many slopes, I wouldn't have a ZTR. The rigid frame construction don't make them good machines for crossing ditches or other depressions, going up damp slopes etc.

My ZTR can get stuck in a heartbeat, and it's no joy to get it unstuck either. I've had to go get my tractor a couple of times because the thing is too heavy to move by hand very much at all.

I'd buy a lawn tractor that can accept implements before I'd go ZTR for what you have to do.
John