Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite???

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #1  

JCS_in_KY

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
I need to rent a small backhoe for one day to dig up some waterlines around my home so I can add a few new lines. The lines are buried about 30' - 36" deep and the soil is clay. Since I'll have the backhoe for a day I'll probably go ahead and finish some trenching that I started with my middle buster and dig a few holes for some new fruit trees. There are two small backhoes available for rent locally and I don't have experience with either of them. I can choose from a Kubota B21 or a Terramite T5C. Both are about $150.00 per day. Which one should I rent?

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #2  
Bob Skurka told me to tell you to rent both. Lay out tape measures and take lotsa pictures. It's for Science and TBN!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #3  
I recommend the terramite. It's a darn good digger, but wear ear protection as that engine is loud.

John

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #4  
Terra the ground up you might maybe? hummm Yoda says he like Kubota. Go with Mike C. For the team you will .

P.S I have no tractor experience.

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #5  
Terramites are really not well engineered machines. They are cheap and easy to work on, that makes them popular rental machines. The ones I have been on feel like they where built in someones garage. I'd pick the Kubota...

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #6  
JCS,
I’ve owned both and still have the B21. Want to guess which one I would recommend? Seriously I think either would do what you described. The Kubota is easier to maneuver and has a better loader on it. It would be my choice for the same rental fee.

MarkV

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #8  
If you have an option for a mini exavator go with that instead of a backhoe. Reason being is an excavator is easier to manuever, you can cross your trenches with a tracked excavator, and you have more swing area to dump your spoils. Not only that an excavator can get teh job done quicker because you have less time in set up and manuevering.

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The Kubota is a much more refined, commecial duty small machine than a Terramite.
There's no comparison, rent the B21. )</font>
I know two septic companies that had a B21 and two Terramites, and both told me they prefered the Terramites for their uses. I rented one about a year before I bought my tractor, and it was very good.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a loud gas engine, and refinement had nothing to do with how well it dug, which was very well.

John

/ Renting backhoe for 1 day, Kubota or Terramite??? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Terramites are really not well engineered machines. They are cheap and easy to work on, that makes them popular rental machines. The ones I have been on feel like they where built in someones garage. I'd pick the Kubota...
)</font>

There's a gazillion contractor, landscape, power and utility companies around here pulling TLB's on trailers. I'm one of them. I see Kubota Deere and Case as far and away the most popular and have yet in 25 years to see a Terramite owned by a utility or construction company. That tells me that it's not considered a desireable machine like Kubota, Deere or Case.

It's not even a comparison. Terramite isn't in the same league as Kubota, Deere, Case, Bobcat, Takeuchi, etc.