Used tractors from a Rental store.

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #1  

JohnBoy45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT
Hi, Is it wise to buy a used tractor from a rental business? Like a used Kubota tractor.

Thanks, Terry

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #2  
It depends IMO...
On what condition it's in and the asking price.

Cars, trucks and trailers are usually a better crap-shoot because they are normally used for one purpose. That is not to say some are not abused. However, a tractor can be used for so many different things you have no idea what it's been subjected to in regards to stress and strain. Plus they are not as common as the others so not everyone who rents one is as familiar with operating it as they are with the others.

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #3  
I would be very careful, many times Tractors are rented by folks that abuse them, either through not knowing how to operate it or they don't care as it is not their tractor.NOT to say you can't get a nice tractor for a decent price, but be very sure of what you are getting.

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #4  
I'd stay clear of rental yards that rent to the general public.

Lease rentals from a dealer is a whole different thing, those tractors most often are leased for a single growing season to large farms and generally are pretty good low hour tractors. At certain times of the year, mostly late fall, they are plentiful and often at very good prices.

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #5  
I don't see a broad general answer to this question, other than MOST rental equipment places don't get rid of good equipment.

The contractor I work for rents primarily from one source. They had a John Deere compact (don't recall model) 3 years ago. It had a loader. It was a clutch/manual tranny. The mechanic told me they were selling it because it came back needing a clutch about 3 out of 10 times it was rented out. It got a new clutch and a for sale sign. Tractor had less than 500 hours and was on clutch #7. That'll tell you how they get abused. MOST of the rentals were to home-owners. You MIGHT have better luck with a rental mart that deals with contractors only.

Bottom line. I'd prefer a tractor that was run by ONE person, who had to pay for anything that got destroyed. They tend to be better cared for.

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #6  
As others have stated, rental equipment, used by anyone gets abused to a much higher degree than a single owner operator who has to pay the repair bill.

If you ever drove a U-Haul truck you would have your answer.

I worked for a rental yard in my younger days so I could tell some unbelivable stories.

Example: Folks would rent lawnmowers in the spring when they would have 'top dressed' their lawns simply because they would use the rental as a spreader and not want to abuse their own mower.

Again an owner would cut down a tree with his saw but rent a second to cut the roots so as to not ruin his own chain.

or rent an outboard when he fishes in a rocky river in order to save his own props,

On the other hand GOOD rental yards tend to have as bullet proof machines that money can buy.

Takes all kinds!

/ Used tractors from a Rental store. #7  
I think it was Jeff Foxworthy that compared some thing similar to looking for a virgin bride at a house of ill repute..............

Sorry if this offends anyone.

ron