Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #1  

oregonguy

Tractor
TBD--Maybe JD 3320
Hi, About to plunk down cash for CUT and still have some doubts about choice. Jobs will be thinning out woods/ terracing dirt (half rocks) on 5 mostly sloped acres with house -some steep- and site prepping another 5 fairly level acres with live/scrub oaks & brush to remove from building site. I like "feel" & smart hydro on JD 3320 with 447 BH & 300CX loader (and 4-in-1 bucket if can stretch budget). Also looked at Kubota B 3030 w/BH & FEL (1000 lb lighter) and NH TC33DA similarly equipped. Ground clearance of JD (9-1/2 "?)over larger rocks and log debris worries me because of low tie rods and rear housing. I do like Kubota's hydraulic steering design & higher clearance. Also like NH's "Supersteer" feature but have heard that it might make FEL unsteady. Also drove Kioti but like "feel" of JD best of all. I do realize that with the BH mounted all have clearance reduced to about 10" but with it off all but JD go up to about 14". Am I worried over nothing (other than an expanding $ cost)?? For those that might know, would mounting a JD 4-in-1 bucket require going to a "skid-steer" adapter on the FEL? I can't find the 4-in-1 on the JD website. Sales guy was not 100% sure.

Advice/experience welcome.

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts
Hi, About to plunk down cash for CUT and still have some doubts about choice. Jobs will be thinning out woods/ terracing dirt (half rocks) on 5 mostly sloped acres with house -some steep- and site prepping another 5 fairly level acres with live/scrub oaks & brush to remove from building site. I like "feel" & smart hydro on JD 3320 with 447 BH & 300CX loader (and 4-in-1 bucket if can stretch budget). Also looked at Kubota B 3030 w/BH & FEL (1000 lb lighter) and NH TC33DA similarly equipped. Ground clearance of JD (9-1/2 "?)over larger rocks and log debris worries me because of low tie rods and rear housing. I do like Kubota's hydraulic steering design & higher clearance. Also like NH's "Supersteer" feature but have heard that it might make FEL unsteady. Also drove Kioti but like "feel" of JD best of all. I do realize that with the BH mounted all have clearance reduced to about 10" but with it off all but JD go up to about 14". Am I worried over nothing (other than an expanding $ cost)?? For those that might know, would mounting a JD 4-in-1 bucket require going to a "skid-steer" adapter on the FEL? I can't find the 4-in-1 on the JD website. Sales guy was not 100% sure.

Advice/experience welcome.

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #3  
Those are all fine choices, and it sounds like you've done your homework. If possible, get the machines out to your place for a test drive. It'll be hard to know how they'll perform and fit your uses any other way.

Also, check out Mahindra if you have a dealer nearby. I know it sounds like I'm just taking the opportunity to promote "my" brand (and, of course, I am), but I really think the 3015 or 3215 will fit your needs nicely. And, it can't hurt to check them out.

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #4  
Those are all fine choices, and it sounds like you've done your homework. If possible, get the machines out to your place for a test drive. It'll be hard to know how they'll perform and fit your uses any other way.

Also, check out Mahindra if you have a dealer nearby. I know it sounds like I'm just taking the opportunity to promote "my" brand (and, of course, I am), but I really think the 3015 or 3215 will fit your needs nicely. And, it can't hurt to check them out.

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #5  
I am doing similar work on about 4 acres and would suggest you consider saving the same $$$ and getting a 20hp tractor TLB but adding a true grapple rather than a 4 in 1. Unless you need to have a mini bulldozer (which the 4 in 1 will do), you would find that for grabbing a moving brush that a true grapple is a far superior tool. I doubt a 4 in 1 could take a bite of brush like this (photo). If you don't want a grapple, consider adding a "add a grapple" to a regular bucket. I am pretty sure that would also be better for brush than a 4 in 1. The 4 in 1 has its place but it is more of a construction tool than a landscaping tool.

Attachments

• 886222-IMG_8972 (568 x 426) bite.jpg
    886222-IMG_8972 (568 x 426) bite.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 234
   / Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #6  
I am doing similar work on about 4 acres and would suggest you consider saving the same $$$ and getting a 20hp tractor TLB but adding a true grapple rather than a 4 in 1. Unless you need to have a mini bulldozer (which the 4 in 1 will do), you would find that for grabbing a moving brush that a true grapple is a far superior tool. I doubt a 4 in 1 could take a bite of brush like this (photo). If you don't want a grapple, consider adding a "add a grapple" to a regular bucket. I am pretty sure that would also be better for brush than a 4 in 1. The 4 in 1 has its place but it is more of a construction tool than a landscaping tool.

/ Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #7  
Follow up photo, same "bite" with grapple as seen in earlier shot.

Attachments

• 886223-IMG_8974 (568 x 426) bite2.jpg
    886223-IMG_8974 (568 x 426) bite2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 238
   / Newbie coming down to $ wire with some doubts #8  
Follow up photo, same "bite" with grapple as seen in earlier shot.

I thank you both for your comments and maybe the 4-in-1 IS overkill but the "mini-bulldozer" use of it seems appealing to push around rocky dirt to make terraces on slopes. Perhaps 33 hp is not enough to do the pushing, though. The implement cost is pretty high but if it really would function as a blade, bucket, and a kinda grapple to pull up bushes and blackberries it could all even out. Does anybody have a comment on the ground clearance concern that I had?
Anybody ever damage a tie rod on a JD accidentally or hang up on a log/stone in the woods? Man, as I now think 3520 vs. 3320 the $ are jumping up unless I can wangle a giant discount!

I thank you both for your comments and maybe the 4-in-1 IS overkill but the "mini-bulldozer" use of it seems appealing to push around rocky dirt to make terraces on slopes. Perhaps 33 hp is not enough to do the pushing, though. The implement cost is pretty high but if it really would function as a blade, bucket, and a kinda grapple to pull up bushes and blackberries it could all even out. Does anybody have a comment on the ground clearance concern that I had?
Anybody ever damage a tie rod on a JD accidentally or hang up on a log/stone in the woods? Man, as I now think 3520 vs. 3320 the $ are jumping up unless I can wangle a giant discount!