first time buyer advice TC40,L2800 hst, PS1533

/ first time buyer advice TC40,L2800 hst, PS1533 #1  

easttexas

Tractor
NH TC40 ......I hope
What do you guys think?
I just purchased our family homesite and after borrowing a friends L2800 I am in the market for a tractor.
Two weeks of research and 4 test drives, these are the three I am considering.

But first, what I think I will be using this machine for.
Have around 10 acres with about a 5 acre lake in it.Some thick trees and underbrush. Mild slopes and some flat pasture. Gonna want to clean up fencelines and brushpiles, level off and plant grass(dozer work on 3 acres homesite completed). Lay rock roadbed.Firewood and tree trimming. Mowing and landscape work. And 1000 things I haven't thought of yet, heck I may check the mail with it!

Have a box blade, shredder, hay fork, and plow.
Want finish mower and thought about a chipper.

Are these good values, any common problems/issues on any of them? Which one would you pick ?

First choice.
Massey PS1533 w1525fel 4wd R4tire
Drove the larger PS1540
Clutchless fwd/rev and 4 gear shift on the fly (either half clutch foot or hit neu on the shuttle stick and shift) in 3 ranges ( full stop to change range). I liked the ability to select my gear while in motion and not have to stop and change range when pulling a load. Also using the brake felt better to me than the sudden stop of the L2800hst. I guess I like to roll to a stop. Other features that turned me on. The pushbutton PTO, loaded tires, overall comfort, 2nd most powerfull, stongest FEL. Trusted dealer. 2yr bumper/ option in 18mnths to purchase 5yr bumper for $825
$18,800
Negatives
wanted to budget around 15k but I like it. Can step upto ps1540(in stock) for $800 more

??? anybody

2nd Choice
Kubota L2800 HST w/LA463 FEL 4wd added R4tires
Drove this one too and it was very nice. HST Didnt feel as comfortable as the PowerShuttle and is the smaller tractor.
But all in all I think I could be very happy with it . Concerns were bogging the HST while pulling load up slope and stopping to change range. When dirt leveling I think the shift on the fly powershuttle will allow me to drop to a lower gear if I start to bog without stopping or dropping idle.

Best features
Ease of use and the HST is still a dream to drive compared to the stick. Just felt funny to me. I liked the left hand cruise better than the foot control. FEL work aside. Trusted Dealer.
More my budget at $15,500 w/r4
upgrade to L3400 for $1216 more 2yr 3yr drivetrain

Negatives
HST was noisy and unfamiliar. (saw a couple posts of HST problems on L series)
smallest tractor (may want to tackle a bale of hay)
Limited to range selected HST speed when pulling load. (if it lugs then I have to stop to change range, I feel the power shuttle gives me a broader speed range without stopping.
Tires not loaded. maintenance $$ of HST fluid changes?

Feedback?

Finally the TC40 synchroshuttle no SS w/16LA 4wd
Its an 03 with 375hrs
Looks in excellent condition.
Drove the New Holland and while it was difficult shifting gears the synchro will let you choose fwd/neu/rev at the wheel (half clutch) still have to stop to change gears or range.
Wide loaded R4s and the skid steer attach on the FEL ,FOP canopy and being the bigger tractor it caught my eye.
6mnth drvetrain and same Massey Dealer.

Didn't like the ride as much but at $14,800 is it too good to pass?

Negatives
Clutch reliability
Warranty, and I found a very small grinded spot on the metal dipstick in the rear Hydrolic fill. Problem or somebodys attempt at marking the fluid range. Its on the side of the stick right at the fluid check. moon shaped and about 1/2 long and just a mm deep.

Any complaints on the TC40?

What woud be your choice and are prices good?

Thanks for your edjucated input.

/ first time buyer advice TC40,L2800 hst, PS1533
What do you guys think?
I just purchased our family homesite and after borrowing a friends L2800 I am in the market for a tractor.
Two weeks of research and 4 test drives, these are the three I am considering.

But first, what I think I will be using this machine for.
Have around 10 acres with about a 5 acre lake in it.Some thick trees and underbrush. Mild slopes and some flat pasture. Gonna want to clean up fencelines and brushpiles, level off and plant grass(dozer work on 3 acres homesite completed). Lay rock roadbed.Firewood and tree trimming. Mowing and landscape work. And 1000 things I haven't thought of yet, heck I may check the mail with it!

Have a box blade, shredder, hay fork, and plow.
Want finish mower and thought about a chipper.

Are these good values, any common problems/issues on any of them? Which one would you pick ?

First choice.
Massey PS1533 w1525fel 4wd R4tire
Drove the larger PS1540
Clutchless fwd/rev and 4 gear shift on the fly (either half clutch foot or hit neu on the shuttle stick and shift) in 3 ranges ( full stop to change range). I liked the ability to select my gear while in motion and not have to stop and change range when pulling a load. Also using the brake felt better to me than the sudden stop of the L2800hst. I guess I like to roll to a stop. Other features that turned me on. The pushbutton PTO, loaded tires, overall comfort, 2nd most powerfull, stongest FEL. Trusted dealer. 2yr bumper/ option in 18mnths to purchase 5yr bumper for $825
$18,800
Negatives
wanted to budget around 15k but I like it. Can step upto ps1540(in stock) for $800 more

??? anybody

2nd Choice
Kubota L2800 HST w/LA463 FEL 4wd added R4tires
Drove this one too and it was very nice. HST Didnt feel as comfortable as the PowerShuttle and is the smaller tractor.
But all in all I think I could be very happy with it . Concerns were bogging the HST while pulling load up slope and stopping to change range. When dirt leveling I think the shift on the fly powershuttle will allow me to drop to a lower gear if I start to bog without stopping or dropping idle.

Best features
Ease of use and the HST is still a dream to drive compared to the stick. Just felt funny to me. I liked the left hand cruise better than the foot control. FEL work aside. Trusted Dealer.
More my budget at $15,500 w/r4
upgrade to L3400 for $1216 more 2yr 3yr drivetrain

Negatives
HST was noisy and unfamiliar. (saw a couple posts of HST problems on L series)
smallest tractor (may want to tackle a bale of hay)
Limited to range selected HST speed when pulling load. (if it lugs then I have to stop to change range, I feel the power shuttle gives me a broader speed range without stopping.
Tires not loaded. maintenance $$ of HST fluid changes?

Feedback?

Finally the TC40 synchroshuttle no SS w/16LA 4wd
Its an 03 with 375hrs
Looks in excellent condition.
Drove the New Holland and while it was difficult shifting gears the synchro will let you choose fwd/neu/rev at the wheel (half clutch) still have to stop to change gears or range.
Wide loaded R4s and the skid steer attach on the FEL ,FOP canopy and being the bigger tractor it caught my eye.
6mnth drvetrain and same Massey Dealer.

Didn't like the ride as much but at $14,800 is it too good to pass?

Negatives
Clutch reliability
Warranty, and I found a very small grinded spot on the metal dipstick in the rear Hydrolic fill. Problem or somebodys attempt at marking the fluid range. Its on the side of the stick right at the fluid check. moon shaped and about 1/2 long and just a mm deep.

Any complaints on the TC40?

What woud be your choice and are prices good?

Thanks for your edjucated input.

/ first time buyer advice TC40,L2800 hst, PS1533 #3  
The power shuttle on the MF 1533 is a very good transmission. You don’t have to use the clutch to start or stop and you can change directions without clutching. I have had the 16-speed version for about 2 and half years and really like it. Having all of the gears synchronized is good when you need to change gears without stopping. Just clutch and change like in a car or truck.

/ first time buyer advice TC40,L2800 hst, PS1533 #4  
The power shuttle on the MF 1533 is a very good transmission. You don’t have to use the clutch to start or stop and you can change directions without clutching. I have had the 16-speed version for about 2 and half years and really like it. Having all of the gears synchronized is good when you need to change gears without stopping. Just clutch and change like in a car or truck.