Looking at used tractors now

/ Looking at used tractors now #1  

crittersitter

This is a continuation of my search for a tractor. I've pretty much decided on used and have some good ideas of machines to look at to move my round bales with the three point hitch and a FEL for various project. I do have new questions...

Do I need 4 wheel drive? Most of the new compacts have it but lots of the old farm tractors don't.

Do I need power steering with the FEL? Someone told me I must have power steering.

What major things can go wrong with an older tractor - what do I need to check on before buying.

I was pleased to see a number of decent prospects in the trading post paper, MF 135, Ford 3000, Case 530.

Is a Ferguson TO30 too small for the task?

Please enlighten me!

/ Looking at used tractors now
This is a continuation of my search for a tractor. I've pretty much decided on used and have some good ideas of machines to look at to move my round bales with the three point hitch and a FEL for various project. I do have new questions...

Do I need 4 wheel drive? Most of the new compacts have it but lots of the old farm tractors don't.

Do I need power steering with the FEL? Someone told me I must have power steering.

What major things can go wrong with an older tractor - what do I need to check on before buying.

I was pleased to see a number of decent prospects in the trading post paper, MF 135, Ford 3000, Case 530.

Is a Ferguson TO30 too small for the task?

Please enlighten me!

/ Looking at used tractors now #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need 4 wheel drive? Most of the new compacts have it but lots of the old farm tractors don't.
)</font>

Since 'traction' is the way most tractors get work done, many manufacturers have found that you can get a smaller tractor to do some of the same work as a larger tractor.. by making it 4wd. Larger tractors would do things like hang hundreds of pounds of weight or use dual rear tires to accomplish this traction. In some cases.. the 4wd doesn't offer as much of a trade off.. like.. if you can't keep the hp on the ground.. however.. with most tasks, 4wd is nice. For smaller loader tractors.. 4wd makes a great addition.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need power steering with the FEL? Someone told me I must have power steering )</font>

Must?? That's a bit misleading. Lots of tractors in the 30's thru the 60's had loaders added.. and yet had no power steering. Again.. my 1955 ford 660 with ford 722 1-arm loader does not have power steering.. thus the use of 'must' is a misnomer. "should' however.. is a perhaps a better word choice. Loader tractors 'should' have power stering to be an ideal setup.. makes it easy to work a full day on the tractor.. plus you don't look like 'popeye' after a week of moving dirt. So.. yes.. power steering is desireable.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What major things can go wrong with an older tractor )</font>

The same major things that can go wrong with a new tractor.. except that any issues due to wear are just farther along with an older tractor. Worn brakes, worn clutch. worn steering parts, bad rubber.. weak engine due to massive hours or customer miss-maintenance... leaky seals.. etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what do I need to check on before buying.
)</font>

Look for leaks.. look for evidence of good repairs.. look for evidence of bad repairs ( a good reapir is fine.. a bad repair is a problem waiting to happen ). Drive the tractor in all gears in all ranges, check all wear items.. look for oil in water, water in oil...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MF 135, Ford 3000, Case 530 )</font>

Good choices.. a MF 150 or 165 or ford 4000/5000 would be great as well.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is a Ferguson TO30 too small for the task?
)</font>

That's roughly the size range of the 8n/naa.. so No.. I wouldn't be looking to move round bales ont he 3pt of a NAA.. though it might.. for medium and small dry bales.

Soundguy

/ Looking at used tractors now #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need 4 wheel drive? Most of the new compacts have it but lots of the old farm tractors don't.
)</font>

Since 'traction' is the way most tractors get work done, many manufacturers have found that you can get a smaller tractor to do some of the same work as a larger tractor.. by making it 4wd. Larger tractors would do things like hang hundreds of pounds of weight or use dual rear tires to accomplish this traction. In some cases.. the 4wd doesn't offer as much of a trade off.. like.. if you can't keep the hp on the ground.. however.. with most tasks, 4wd is nice. For smaller loader tractors.. 4wd makes a great addition.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need power steering with the FEL? Someone told me I must have power steering )</font>

Must?? That's a bit misleading. Lots of tractors in the 30's thru the 60's had loaders added.. and yet had no power steering. Again.. my 1955 ford 660 with ford 722 1-arm loader does not have power steering.. thus the use of 'must' is a misnomer. "should' however.. is a perhaps a better word choice. Loader tractors 'should' have power stering to be an ideal setup.. makes it easy to work a full day on the tractor.. plus you don't look like 'popeye' after a week of moving dirt. So.. yes.. power steering is desireable.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What major things can go wrong with an older tractor )</font>

The same major things that can go wrong with a new tractor.. except that any issues due to wear are just farther along with an older tractor. Worn brakes, worn clutch. worn steering parts, bad rubber.. weak engine due to massive hours or customer miss-maintenance... leaky seals.. etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what do I need to check on before buying.
)</font>

Look for leaks.. look for evidence of good repairs.. look for evidence of bad repairs ( a good reapir is fine.. a bad repair is a problem waiting to happen ). Drive the tractor in all gears in all ranges, check all wear items.. look for oil in water, water in oil...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MF 135, Ford 3000, Case 530 )</font>

Good choices.. a MF 150 or 165 or ford 4000/5000 would be great as well.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is a Ferguson TO30 too small for the task?
)</font>

That's roughly the size range of the 8n/naa.. so No.. I wouldn't be looking to move round bales ont he 3pt of a NAA.. though it might.. for medium and small dry bales.

Soundguy

/ Looking at used tractors now #5  
crittersitter,

It doesn't get mentioned as often as it used to, but a good place to start when looking to buy a tractor is Compact Tractor Buying & Basics. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has lots of good information in it, including 3 chapters on buying a used tractor.

/ Looking at used tractors now #6  
crittersitter,

It doesn't get mentioned as often as it used to, but a good place to start when looking to buy a tractor is Compact Tractor Buying & Basics. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has lots of good information in it, including 3 chapters on buying a used tractor.

/ Looking at used tractors now #7  
Ive managed to run a small farm for more than 30 years without once owning a 4WD tractor. They're nice to have around, but life goes on without. 4WD is very important if you're going to use a smaller tractor for a big tractors job.

Power steering is a must in my opinion. Loader or not.

Used tractors CAN be a money pit. They can also be a real big bargain. It's about he same game as buying a used car or truck. If you're looking at used, I'd stay with certain models that have a good reputation, PLUS ones that sold many copies when still in production. That helps ensure a steady parts supply. (You will need parts eventually, even with new)

Certain brands are known for being easier to work on, besides being good tractors. That's where Masseys and Fords shine. They were built simple, targeting the smaller farm market. Most small farmers in the day, had a tendency to do most of their own wrench turning to save money. They bought tractors that accomodated that. Simple relates to dependable for some reason.

I'm of the belief that the best tractors for the buck were built in the 1960's and 70's. After that time, the "make 'em fall apart so we can sell 'em ANOTHER tractor" mentality started to filter in from the auto manufacturers.

The TO-30 was a shining star back in its day. But it just isn't much of a horse by the standards of later years.

I'll pass on one bit of info on "test driving" a potential used tractor purchase. Hook a HEAVY implement on the 3-point hitch. (Preferrably a PTO driven implement so ypou can check it out too) Lifts tend to work even with some problems, when there's no load. If it'll raise a heavy load and hold it up, the hydraulic system SHOULD be in good working order. I went with my son yesterday to look at a couple tractors he's contemplating buying. One wouldn't lift a 300 lb rear blade, even though it appeared to be working fine WITHOUT anything attached. (The boy wants MY tractors!)

Another thing I always look for with used tractors is "Does it start and run OK"? Generally, diesels that start quick are in good shape. (Not ALWAYS, but most of the time) Ones that struggle to get going are generally in need of help.

Paint, tires, seats, and other "replacable items" are cheap compared to crankshafts, injector pumps, hydraulic pumps, and the like. Outward appearances aren't nearly as important as good mechanical shape. Make sure the big ticket items are intact. THEN look at the appearance.

/ Looking at used tractors now #8  
Ive managed to run a small farm for more than 30 years without once owning a 4WD tractor. They're nice to have around, but life goes on without. 4WD is very important if you're going to use a smaller tractor for a big tractors job.

Power steering is a must in my opinion. Loader or not.

Used tractors CAN be a money pit. They can also be a real big bargain. It's about he same game as buying a used car or truck. If you're looking at used, I'd stay with certain models that have a good reputation, PLUS ones that sold many copies when still in production. That helps ensure a steady parts supply. (You will need parts eventually, even with new)

Certain brands are known for being easier to work on, besides being good tractors. That's where Masseys and Fords shine. They were built simple, targeting the smaller farm market. Most small farmers in the day, had a tendency to do most of their own wrench turning to save money. They bought tractors that accomodated that. Simple relates to dependable for some reason.

I'm of the belief that the best tractors for the buck were built in the 1960's and 70's. After that time, the "make 'em fall apart so we can sell 'em ANOTHER tractor" mentality started to filter in from the auto manufacturers.

The TO-30 was a shining star back in its day. But it just isn't much of a horse by the standards of later years.

I'll pass on one bit of info on "test driving" a potential used tractor purchase. Hook a HEAVY implement on the 3-point hitch. (Preferrably a PTO driven implement so ypou can check it out too) Lifts tend to work even with some problems, when there's no load. If it'll raise a heavy load and hold it up, the hydraulic system SHOULD be in good working order. I went with my son yesterday to look at a couple tractors he's contemplating buying. One wouldn't lift a 300 lb rear blade, even though it appeared to be working fine WITHOUT anything attached. (The boy wants MY tractors!)

Another thing I always look for with used tractors is "Does it start and run OK"? Generally, diesels that start quick are in good shape. (Not ALWAYS, but most of the time) Ones that struggle to get going are generally in need of help.

Paint, tires, seats, and other "replacable items" are cheap compared to crankshafts, injector pumps, hydraulic pumps, and the like. Outward appearances aren't nearly as important as good mechanical shape. Make sure the big ticket items are intact. THEN look at the appearance.

/ Looking at used tractors now #9  
I don't know if it goes without saying, but when buying an older tractor, you should consider adding an aftermarket ROPS. That might push your price up, but isn't your life worth it?

/ Looking at used tractors now #10  
I don't know if it goes without saying, but when buying an older tractor, you should consider adding an aftermarket ROPS. That might push your price up, but isn't your life worth it?