Does this sound like a good buy

/ Does this sound like a good buy #1  

crittersitter

I have a chance to buy a 430 Case 70's model 38hp gas engine with power steering and FEL for $4500. According to the owner, it's in good shape, good tires, heavy duty tires in front. Uses no oil but does smoke a little when first started. Has no leaks. And the PS is so good you can use one finger to steer. The body/paint is fair. PTO has a separate engagine set of clutches.

Does this sound like a good buy for my moving 800 pound round bales of hay around onto pallets and mowing my pasture?

Also, what about that "smoking"?

Thanks!

/ Does this sound like a good buy
I have a chance to buy a 430 Case 70's model 38hp gas engine with power steering and FEL for $4500. According to the owner, it's in good shape, good tires, heavy duty tires in front. Uses no oil but does smoke a little when first started. Has no leaks. And the PS is so good you can use one finger to steer. The body/paint is fair. PTO has a separate engagine set of clutches.

Does this sound like a good buy for my moving 800 pound round bales of hay around onto pallets and mowing my pasture?

Also, what about that "smoking"?

Thanks!

/ Does this sound like a good buy #3  
I know nothing about that particular tractor, but that sounds like a great buy. Just about all deisels are going to smoke a little when they are first started. It usually lessens somewhat once they warm up. I certainly would expect a little smoke from a 30+/- year old tractor. (EDIT... I just re-read your post and saw that this was a gas engine. So, disregard my comments about deisels smoking. I'll leave it to others more knowledgable than myself to comment on the gasser smoking. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) And, no leaks! I'd be impressed with no leaks on a tractor that age. How many hours does it have on it?

Sounds almost too good to be true. Check it out good and take it for a good test drive, including lifting something heavy with both the 3PH and the FEL to see that the hydraulics don't leak down. If it checks out, I'd feel that $4500 is a pretty good buy.

BR

/ Does this sound like a good buy #4  
I know nothing about that particular tractor, but that sounds like a great buy. Just about all deisels are going to smoke a little when they are first started. It usually lessens somewhat once they warm up. I certainly would expect a little smoke from a 30+/- year old tractor. (EDIT... I just re-read your post and saw that this was a gas engine. So, disregard my comments about deisels smoking. I'll leave it to others more knowledgable than myself to comment on the gasser smoking. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) And, no leaks! I'd be impressed with no leaks on a tractor that age. How many hours does it have on it?

Sounds almost too good to be true. Check it out good and take it for a good test drive, including lifting something heavy with both the 3PH and the FEL to see that the hydraulics don't leak down. If it checks out, I'd feel that $4500 is a pretty good buy.

BR

/ Does this sound like a good buy #5  
"Uses no oil but does smoke a little when first started. "

Diesels do smoke upon start up, but gas engine usually don't...I believe crittersitter mentioned this was a gasoline powered tractor.

What color is the smoke? How long does it last? If it's black, the tractor is probably running rich at start up...the choke may be sticking open. The fix for that may be as simple as tearing the carb down for a rebuild.

Which does bring up a point...can you get parts for this tractor?

/ Does this sound like a good buy #6  
"Uses no oil but does smoke a little when first started. "

Diesels do smoke upon start up, but gas engine usually don't...I believe crittersitter mentioned this was a gasoline powered tractor.

What color is the smoke? How long does it last? If it's black, the tractor is probably running rich at start up...the choke may be sticking open. The fix for that may be as simple as tearing the carb down for a rebuild.

Which does bring up a point...can you get parts for this tractor?

/ Does this sound like a good buy #9  
Pull the plugs and see which one(s) are darker than the rest. I would expect that the smoke on start up (after it sits for a while) is a tad of oil leaking down by the valve guides. This is not a biggy. Case 430 parts are probably all still avail at the local Case/IH dealer. They are good tractors, but check it out well be fore you cut loose with that much. I"d start about a $thou below asking. Case tractrors right now won't command any premiums in my part of the country. BobG in VA

/ Does this sound like a good buy #10  
Pull the plugs and see which one(s) are darker than the rest. I would expect that the smoke on start up (after it sits for a while) is a tad of oil leaking down by the valve guides. This is not a biggy. Case 430 parts are probably all still avail at the local Case/IH dealer. They are good tractors, but check it out well be fore you cut loose with that much. I"d start about a $thou below asking. Case tractrors right now won't command any premiums in my part of the country. BobG in VA