Weight Options

/ Weight Options #1  

chaos

I just bought a JD4120 w/ FEL, R4 tires and have a couple of days to choose whether to fill the tires.

The choices I know of include:
FILLING TIRES - Calcium Chloride, Rim Guard, or water/non-toxic antifreeze
WHEEL WEIGHTS
3-POINT WEIGHT
REAR IMPLEMENT

My property has 4 acres of messy clear cut that I will be clearing and road building. 1/2 is slopped with about 10% relatively steep. There is about an acre and a half of field/lawn that I will use a rotary mower to maintain. Also another acre of soft land with springs, a pond and creek.

My concerns with filling the tires include toxic/corrosive fill (I have dogs and cats), rutting the lawn, and getting stuck in soft ground.

Assumptions:
Calcium chloride is no extra cost.
Rim guard will cost additional $300.
Non-toxic antifreeze is more than rim guard.
Wheel weights and 3-point weights are more than filling tires for equivilent weight.

All opinions are appreciated!
Specific questions include:
Anybody have experience with rim guard?
Which will perform best on hills?
Do filled tires affect performce when the FEL is not on the tractor?

Thanks, Dave

/ Weight Options
I just bought a JD4120 w/ FEL, R4 tires and have a couple of days to choose whether to fill the tires.

The choices I know of include:
FILLING TIRES - Calcium Chloride, Rim Guard, or water/non-toxic antifreeze
WHEEL WEIGHTS
3-POINT WEIGHT
REAR IMPLEMENT

My property has 4 acres of messy clear cut that I will be clearing and road building. 1/2 is slopped with about 10% relatively steep. There is about an acre and a half of field/lawn that I will use a rotary mower to maintain. Also another acre of soft land with springs, a pond and creek.

My concerns with filling the tires include toxic/corrosive fill (I have dogs and cats), rutting the lawn, and getting stuck in soft ground.

Assumptions:
Calcium chloride is no extra cost.
Rim guard will cost additional $300.
Non-toxic antifreeze is more than rim guard.
Wheel weights and 3-point weights are more than filling tires for equivilent weight.

All opinions are appreciated!
Specific questions include:
Anybody have experience with rim guard?
Which will perform best on hills?
Do filled tires affect performce when the FEL is not on the tractor?

Thanks, Dave

/ Weight Options #3  
Dave, filled tires are there all the time? Attachments at the other end are removable! Think about that?
If I had or wanted to fill tires? I would definitely get in to flat proof fillings.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Weight Options #4  
Dave, filled tires are there all the time? Attachments at the other end are removable! Think about that?
If I had or wanted to fill tires? I would definitely get in to flat proof fillings.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Weight Options #5  
I fill all my machines tires. The recent ones have been RimGuard. I like it. I wouldn't run a tractor with a loader without filling the tires.

Andy

/ Weight Options #6  
I fill all my machines tires. The recent ones have been RimGuard. I like it. I wouldn't run a tractor with a loader without filling the tires.

Andy

/ Weight Options #7  
I went with wheel weights. last forever. never need to have the tires drained for a flat or repair. No need to worry about a undetected leak causing an imbalance of one wheel weighing more than the other. If I need to remove a wheel, I can remove the wheel weights and have some hope of handling the tire/rim combination. With filled tire/rim, theywill weigh a lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much that I will never be able to handle the combination of filled tire and wheel.

Whatever you do, whatever you choose, make sure you have weight in your rear wheels.

Bob

/ Weight Options #8  
I went with wheel weights. last forever. never need to have the tires drained for a flat or repair. No need to worry about a undetected leak causing an imbalance of one wheel weighing more than the other. If I need to remove a wheel, I can remove the wheel weights and have some hope of handling the tire/rim combination. With filled tire/rim, theywill weigh a lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much that I will never be able to handle the combination of filled tire and wheel.

Whatever you do, whatever you choose, make sure you have weight in your rear wheels.

Bob

/ Weight Options #9  
Dave,

You don’t say where you are located, but if you live somewhere there is a long “mud season” like I do, there will be times when you wish you had filled your tires with helium!

If soft ground is an issue, I would vote for some sort of removable weight.

Gary

/ Weight Options #10  
Dave,

You don’t say where you are located, but if you live somewhere there is a long “mud season” like I do, there will be times when you wish you had filled your tires with helium!

If soft ground is an issue, I would vote for some sort of removable weight.

Gary