Move equipment vs sell and buy new?

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
My wife and I may be moving eight or nine hundred miles later this year. I need to decide if I should sell my equipment and buy new/used once I get settled in.

I currently don't have a trailer but do have a dually so I suppose I could buy another trailer and move my Massey and my attachments. My Case though weighs in at around 8 tons so that would need a larger rig to move it. I could contract with someone and get that tractor and a good portion of the rest on a drop deck or step deck. I hold a CDL and drive for a living but I have not checked into a short term rental to do the moving myself.

I would like to hear from anyone who has moved and taken/not taken their equipment. I know what I have and would have enough on the table with the new home purchase much less equipment. Some of it could use an upgrade though and this would be a good time. My Case though is kind of my "baby" and I really don't want to part with it.

Beyond that, in addition to the normal household "stuff", my tools and hardware, we have twelve horses to move, two of those being stallions. Ahh, it's a great life! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new?
My wife and I may be moving eight or nine hundred miles later this year. I need to decide if I should sell my equipment and buy new/used once I get settled in.

I currently don't have a trailer but do have a dually so I suppose I could buy another trailer and move my Massey and my attachments. My Case though weighs in at around 8 tons so that would need a larger rig to move it. I could contract with someone and get that tractor and a good portion of the rest on a drop deck or step deck. I hold a CDL and drive for a living but I have not checked into a short term rental to do the moving myself.

I would like to hear from anyone who has moved and taken/not taken their equipment. I know what I have and would have enough on the table with the new home purchase much less equipment. Some of it could use an upgrade though and this would be a good time. My Case though is kind of my "baby" and I really don't want to part with it.

Beyond that, in addition to the normal household "stuff", my tools and hardware, we have twelve horses to move, two of those being stallions. Ahh, it's a great life! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #3  
Haven't done it, but I will be facing a major move to another country in a few years. I won't be taking my equipment with me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The one thing I would say to you is, new equipment has gone up a lot over the last few years. If you rid yourself of what you have now, it will take a lot to replace it. I think I would try to find a way to take it with you.
John

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #4  
Haven't done it, but I will be facing a major move to another country in a few years. I won't be taking my equipment with me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The one thing I would say to you is, new equipment has gone up a lot over the last few years. If you rid yourself of what you have now, it will take a lot to replace it. I think I would try to find a way to take it with you.
John

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #5  
Way long ago I moved about 500 miles and left my good running 8N, 3 point harrow, back blade, etc. behind. I got here and discovered that a replacement rig would have cost about twice what I sold the stuff for.

I'd say if you will need it, move it, especially since you can drive the rig yourself. Maybe you can piggyback it with a local hauler who is looking for part of a load, too. You must have some contacts in the trucking business, right?

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #6  
Way long ago I moved about 500 miles and left my good running 8N, 3 point harrow, back blade, etc. behind. I got here and discovered that a replacement rig would have cost about twice what I sold the stuff for.

I'd say if you will need it, move it, especially since you can drive the rig yourself. Maybe you can piggyback it with a local hauler who is looking for part of a load, too. You must have some contacts in the trucking business, right?

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #7  
I've moved some equipment a couple of times. One option is to contact the big equipment auctions - they have contacts that move stuff all the time and work a partial load. Take your time and try and catch a back haul. Two weeks ago I had a tractor backhauled roughly 1200 miles for $1000.

i also noticed tractorhouse has a listing of haulers.

I would work on local(to your destination) haulers and try and catch one with a delivery in your area looking for a load home.

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #8  
I've moved some equipment a couple of times. One option is to contact the big equipment auctions - they have contacts that move stuff all the time and work a partial load. Take your time and try and catch a back haul. Two weeks ago I had a tractor backhauled roughly 1200 miles for $1000.

i also noticed tractorhouse has a listing of haulers.

I would work on local(to your destination) haulers and try and catch one with a delivery in your area looking for a load home.

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #9  
Since you already have a CDL you can just rent truck or use your own if you own your own and trailer and haul it yourself.

/ Move equipment vs sell and buy new? #10  
Since you already have a CDL you can just rent truck or use your own if you own your own and trailer and haul it yourself.