Doubtful... but not sure

/ Doubtful... but not sure #1  

ABolt

Tractor
Kubota L3400DT 4x4 w/ FEL
Hope you guys don't mind another in the seeming endless supply of 'what do I need' questions.

My situation: Just purchased about 300 acres of mostly timber land. There are 7 scattered food plots already there. I measured yesterday and came up with a total of about 5 acres plus another one acre estimated of internal roads. I will be disking and planting these plots a couple of times each year. I will also likely be using a box blade to keep some of the roads level. While I would like to have a front-end loader, it's not a priority right now. I would like the option to add it later - or now if the price is right.

Now, for the doubtful part. I admit I'm a real novice so I may be in for a meal of fresh crow. My friend says I need a tractor in the 50-60 HP range for that amount of disking - says the size disk I need probably couldn't be pulled with anything smaller. I was thinking something in the 20-30 HP range would be fine for that amount of work and could even work if I add more food plots - maybe up to 10 acres.

I haven't done much of anything in terms of brand shopping but am under the impression that JD, Kubota and Ford are out of my price range. I have two friends with Mahindras and they speak highly of them. I am not familiar with the other brands I've been reading about here like Kioti and Framtrac so would appreciate input on those.

My budget for tractor, disk, bush hog, box blade and trailer are $10-15K.

So, I guess my questions are:

Would a 20-30 HP tractor handle my current 5 acres?
Would that same tractor handle another 5 acres?
Can I get what I need new for $10K? $15K? $20K? or should I be looking at used?
Are JD, Kubota, etc. out of my price range?
How do Mahindra, Kioti and Farmtrac compare?

Thanks for reading – hope I haven’t given too much information.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

/ Doubtful... but not sure
Hope you guys don't mind another in the seeming endless supply of 'what do I need' questions.

My situation: Just purchased about 300 acres of mostly timber land. There are 7 scattered food plots already there. I measured yesterday and came up with a total of about 5 acres plus another one acre estimated of internal roads. I will be disking and planting these plots a couple of times each year. I will also likely be using a box blade to keep some of the roads level. While I would like to have a front-end loader, it's not a priority right now. I would like the option to add it later - or now if the price is right.

Now, for the doubtful part. I admit I'm a real novice so I may be in for a meal of fresh crow. My friend says I need a tractor in the 50-60 HP range for that amount of disking - says the size disk I need probably couldn't be pulled with anything smaller. I was thinking something in the 20-30 HP range would be fine for that amount of work and could even work if I add more food plots - maybe up to 10 acres.

I haven't done much of anything in terms of brand shopping but am under the impression that JD, Kubota and Ford are out of my price range. I have two friends with Mahindras and they speak highly of them. I am not familiar with the other brands I've been reading about here like Kioti and Framtrac so would appreciate input on those.

My budget for tractor, disk, bush hog, box blade and trailer are $10-15K.

So, I guess my questions are:

Would a 20-30 HP tractor handle my current 5 acres?
Would that same tractor handle another 5 acres?
Can I get what I need new for $10K? $15K? $20K? or should I be looking at used?
Are JD, Kubota, etc. out of my price range?
How do Mahindra, Kioti and Farmtrac compare?

Thanks for reading – hope I haven’t given too much information.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

/ Doubtful... but not sure #3  
Ok.. I've got a couple different answers for you.. pick which one you like and go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First.. for 5ac of discing.. 20-30 hp is fine... just takes a bit longer.. but no reason why a 25hp machine can't pull a 4-6' disc.. especially if you will only be discing 1ac pieces at a time.

Same for 10ac.. just takes a bit more time.

Now.. generally i reccomend a tractor based on acerage size as well as uses... 300 ac ( congrats! ) is big land.. big land usually requires big tractors.. though big tractors cost.. well.. big dollars... -sometimes-. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My sugestion would be to get a good 24-35 hp tractor, new or newish, and then also find a older used ag or utility tractor. Lots of times you can get 60-150 hp tractors inthe 3000-9000$ range... Here's the catch.. your trailer that will haul the 25-35 hp tractor will probably be a 5000# or 7000# 7' x16' or 18' or 20' car hauler / dovetail style trailer.. and more than likely won't be able to pull an agg tractor.. though perhaps a utility may cram on there.. etc. Is this land someplace that you could just buy the ag tractor.. get it deliverd.. and leave it there.. then haul your scut/cut back and forth on the trailer?

Trailers go for about 1000-2000$ depending on size, options,a nd age. Now.. here's the bad news.. scut and cut are the most expensive category of tractor.. It's way easy to sink 13G into a 30hp tractor and not even blink..

Another option is to aim for a 50hp tractor.. which is a bit bigger than you want for the small stuff.. and perhaps a little ont he small side for the big stuf.. . yet.. big enough to get alot of work done. An example would be a jd 5103 50 hp economy tractor. I'd look long and hard at economy 2nd brands.. like branson, zetor, mahindra, farmtrac.. etc, and gind the best bang for the buck,., no matter what size machine you get.. scut/cut/UT.. etc...

You might be able to get a decent scut/cut and an implement trailer as a package, plus a big ag tractor for the upper end f your limit.. perhaps right at the 15k.. etc..... ( maybee just get the scut/cut/ the 2-3 implements you need the most ( box/disc/mower) and trailer, and then wait on the ag tractor for later.. might get lucky and come out inthe 13-14k$ range

good luck

Soundguy

/ Doubtful... but not sure #4  
Ok.. I've got a couple different answers for you.. pick which one you like and go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First.. for 5ac of discing.. 20-30 hp is fine... just takes a bit longer.. but no reason why a 25hp machine can't pull a 4-6' disc.. especially if you will only be discing 1ac pieces at a time.

Same for 10ac.. just takes a bit more time.

Now.. generally i reccomend a tractor based on acerage size as well as uses... 300 ac ( congrats! ) is big land.. big land usually requires big tractors.. though big tractors cost.. well.. big dollars... -sometimes-. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My sugestion would be to get a good 24-35 hp tractor, new or newish, and then also find a older used ag or utility tractor. Lots of times you can get 60-150 hp tractors inthe 3000-9000$ range... Here's the catch.. your trailer that will haul the 25-35 hp tractor will probably be a 5000# or 7000# 7' x16' or 18' or 20' car hauler / dovetail style trailer.. and more than likely won't be able to pull an agg tractor.. though perhaps a utility may cram on there.. etc. Is this land someplace that you could just buy the ag tractor.. get it deliverd.. and leave it there.. then haul your scut/cut back and forth on the trailer?

Trailers go for about 1000-2000$ depending on size, options,a nd age. Now.. here's the bad news.. scut and cut are the most expensive category of tractor.. It's way easy to sink 13G into a 30hp tractor and not even blink..

Another option is to aim for a 50hp tractor.. which is a bit bigger than you want for the small stuff.. and perhaps a little ont he small side for the big stuf.. . yet.. big enough to get alot of work done. An example would be a jd 5103 50 hp economy tractor. I'd look long and hard at economy 2nd brands.. like branson, zetor, mahindra, farmtrac.. etc, and gind the best bang for the buck,., no matter what size machine you get.. scut/cut/UT.. etc...

You might be able to get a decent scut/cut and an implement trailer as a package, plus a big ag tractor for the upper end f your limit.. perhaps right at the 15k.. etc..... ( maybee just get the scut/cut/ the 2-3 implements you need the most ( box/disc/mower) and trailer, and then wait on the ag tractor for later.. might get lucky and come out inthe 13-14k$ range

good luck

Soundguy

/ Doubtful... but not sure #5  
Increase your budget. Sorry, you need to spend more than 15K. go visit some delaers, KB, JD, NH, everyone. Take a note pad. Write down your needs and then write down everyones answers. Go home review and then do it again. You will not regret taking the time to do it right. You will regret being in a hurry.
Bob

/ Doubtful... but not sure #6  
Increase your budget. Sorry, you need to spend more than 15K. go visit some delaers, KB, JD, NH, everyone. Take a note pad. Write down your needs and then write down everyones answers. Go home review and then do it again. You will not regret taking the time to do it right. You will regret being in a hurry.
Bob

/ Doubtful... but not sure #7  
300 acres is a fair piece and some of what soundman says is correct. That much property may see you doing much more than you currently imagine in terms of tractor use. A 20-30hp job might be a little small for all of your eventual needs.

I would suggest a 40-50hp tractor-capable of slightly bigger jobs and time-savings while still small enough to haul and nudge through tight spots. It would handle 6-10' shredders, 6-8' discs easily, etc....all the items you would likely use in time.

You mentioned the Long Farmtracs and a new Farmtrac 35 (35 pto hp) can be had for under $10k. The Mahindra are more in the same hp range.....$12-14K. The Farmtracs are solid machines based on a proven design (old Ford) and parts/support are available. It might allow you to get the tractor and either loader or implements within your $15k limit.

Used? Wow, there are a lot of options here. Good used Fords and Masseys are around and can be had for half or less. You don't need a new tractor in order to find a good one that will last for years and do all that you need.

Kioti, Kubota,

/ Doubtful... but not sure #8  
300 acres is a fair piece and some of what soundman says is correct. That much property may see you doing much more than you currently imagine in terms of tractor use. A 20-30hp job might be a little small for all of your eventual needs.

I would suggest a 40-50hp tractor-capable of slightly bigger jobs and time-savings while still small enough to haul and nudge through tight spots. It would handle 6-10' shredders, 6-8' discs easily, etc....all the items you would likely use in time.

You mentioned the Long Farmtracs and a new Farmtrac 35 (35 pto hp) can be had for under $10k. The Mahindra are more in the same hp range.....$12-14K. The Farmtracs are solid machines based on a proven design (old Ford) and parts/support are available. It might allow you to get the tractor and either loader or implements within your $15k limit.

Used? Wow, there are a lot of options here. Good used Fords and Masseys are around and can be had for half or less. You don't need a new tractor in order to find a good one that will last for years and do all that you need.

Kioti, Kubota,

/ Doubtful... but not sure #9  
Take a look at these if you buy new:

John Deere 990 or 5103
Kubota L4400 or M4800 or MX5000

By no means is this an exclusive group, but the group above is dependable and proven.

/ Doubtful... but not sure #10  
Take a look at these if you buy new:

John Deere 990 or 5103
Kubota L4400 or M4800 or MX5000

By no means is this an exclusive group, but the group above is dependable and proven.