Small tractor or ATV and mower?

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower? #1  

Hotwheels

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, RTV900-Worksite
I live on about 7 acres of rocks, weeds, and clay. I maintain about 5 acres with 3 string trimmers. I am thinking about a small tractor, something like the BX24 or the equivalent Massey Ferguson. However, for mowing and light hauling I am thinking I might get by with an ATV and a rough cut tow behind mower. The tractor would cost about 15-16k plus mower, the ATV about 6k plus 2k for the mower. I know the tractor can do more, but given my needs now are moving dirt, rocks, and keeping the weeds down, maybe the ATV would be enough? Anyone had a similar decision to make?

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower?
I live on about 7 acres of rocks, weeds, and clay. I maintain about 5 acres with 3 string trimmers. I am thinking about a small tractor, something like the BX24 or the equivalent Massey Ferguson. However, for mowing and light hauling I am thinking I might get by with an ATV and a rough cut tow behind mower. The tractor would cost about 15-16k plus mower, the ATV about 6k plus 2k for the mower. I know the tractor can do more, but given my needs now are moving dirt, rocks, and keeping the weeds down, maybe the ATV would be enough? Anyone had a similar decision to make?

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower? #5  
I bought a trail mower to tow behing my rider lawnmower to maintain 3 ac. i sold it after using it 3 times in 4 years, and took a 500$ loss... it just didn't have the nads to cut thick grass.. not to mention I had to rebuild the sorry excuse for a carb that brigs used on it... Got to the point where I kept a spare rebuilt carb in a ziplock bag, and just swaped it with the mower every spring just so i could fire it up if needed, then rebuilt the old one on a rainy day.

Your money.. but i'd rather ride a tractor than an ATV... ( might look at a chinese unit.. or a zetor.. get a 'rice' scut for 3999 and then a mower for 400$.. etc.. )

Soundguy

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower? #6  
I bought a trail mower to tow behing my rider lawnmower to maintain 3 ac. i sold it after using it 3 times in 4 years, and took a 500$ loss... it just didn't have the nads to cut thick grass.. not to mention I had to rebuild the sorry excuse for a carb that brigs used on it... Got to the point where I kept a spare rebuilt carb in a ziplock bag, and just swaped it with the mower every spring just so i could fire it up if needed, then rebuilt the old one on a rainy day.

Your money.. but i'd rather ride a tractor than an ATV... ( might look at a chinese unit.. or a zetor.. get a 'rice' scut for 3999 and then a mower for 400$.. etc.. )

Soundguy

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower? #7  
hotwheels,
I have an '01 Honda 450 Foreman 4x4, which I used with a Swisher RT44 Rough Cut mower to cut trails and maintain them in my hunting club in Nassau Co. FL. The mower worked well, but is a major PITA to turn or back up in tight/close quarters. Additionally, there is the factor of maintaining a separate gas motor for the cutter as opposed to having a motorless implement that works from a PTO. I had all of the implements required for planting food plots, such as a disc, a drag harrow, a spreader and the cutter, and a 12' trailer to haul it all. I've recently sold everything but the 4 wheeler, because I'm moving to 70 acres in TN, and am going to get a tractor. Obviously, that much property would wear both me and the Swisher out, but even if I wasn't moving, I would HIGHLY recommend not going the 4 wheeler route, and instead invest in a good small tractor that allows the use of a Class I hitch and PTO driven implements. You will never regret the decision, and when/if it comes time to sell, you won't take a bath on the resale. Just my opinion, based upon experience with your idea.

/ Small tractor or ATV and mower? #8  
hotwheels,
I have an '01 Honda 450 Foreman 4x4, which I used with a Swisher RT44 Rough Cut mower to cut trails and maintain them in my hunting club in Nassau Co. FL. The mower worked well, but is a major PITA to turn or back up in tight/close quarters. Additionally, there is the factor of maintaining a separate gas motor for the cutter as opposed to having a motorless implement that works from a PTO. I had all of the implements required for planting food plots, such as a disc, a drag harrow, a spreader and the cutter, and a 12' trailer to haul it all. I've recently sold everything but the 4 wheeler, because I'm moving to 70 acres in TN, and am going to get a tractor. Obviously, that much property would wear both me and the Swisher out, but even if I wasn't moving, I would HIGHLY recommend not going the 4 wheeler route, and instead invest in a good small tractor that allows the use of a Class I hitch and PTO driven implements. You will never regret the decision, and when/if it comes time to sell, you won't take a bath on the resale. Just my opinion, based upon experience with your idea.

This is very helpful feedback from folks with the experience! I am putting aside the 4x4 plus mower in favor of looking at a small tractor that can do more tasks. There is a local dealer who sells Massey, Kioti, and Mahindra so I have taken a look at those as longer term options. THANKS!

This is very helpful feedback from folks with the experience! I am putting aside the 4x4 plus mower in favor of looking at a small tractor that can do more tasks. There is a local dealer who sells Massey, Kioti, and Mahindra so I have taken a look at those as longer term options. THANKS!