BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
So after reading countless posts here and getting lots of good advice - My wife took me on, as she called it, a "Tractor Visitation Day" - We looked at a bunch (great day)...
After deciding that the SCUT size was where we belonged - our search narrowed the search down to two tractors - the Kubota BX2350 and the JD2305 (the BX24 is there if we decide we need the BH).
So now - here are some of my questions -
<ul type="square">
[*]What is the difference between the "limited cat 1 - 3pt" on the JD vs a "standard Cat 1 - 3pt" on the Kubota - what's limited mean?
[*]Does anyone find or think that the hydro pedal on the Kubota is "unsafe" when compared to the JD that keeps hydro on the right and moves the brake to the left?
[*]The Kubota literature makes a big deal about the knob and clearance of the MMM - is it THAT different than the JD?
[*]Anyone who has been here (deciding on these 3 tractors) ha to make a final determination - what were the deciding factors?
[*] Anyone decide on one of these guys (or their predecessors) then with they had done the BH equipped tractor? The $4000 upfront is a lot of rental time - but there is also a convenience factor by owning.
[*] Who likes what better - and why?
[/list]
On the dealer front - both of them are really nice places - my wife loved the older fellow at the Kubota place and he gave her a free hat /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think both places would be excellent after the sale.

I know I have a lot of questions - but this place is a rich spawning ground of opinions and information... so I'm here to listen!

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305
So after reading countless posts here and getting lots of good advice - My wife took me on, as she called it, a "Tractor Visitation Day" - We looked at a bunch (great day)...
After deciding that the SCUT size was where we belonged - our search narrowed the search down to two tractors - the Kubota BX2350 and the JD2305 (the BX24 is there if we decide we need the BH).
So now - here are some of my questions -
<ul type="square">
[*]What is the difference between the "limited cat 1 - 3pt" on the JD vs a "standard Cat 1 - 3pt" on the Kubota - what's limited mean?
[*]Does anyone find or think that the hydro pedal on the Kubota is "unsafe" when compared to the JD that keeps hydro on the right and moves the brake to the left?
[*]The Kubota literature makes a big deal about the knob and clearance of the MMM - is it THAT different than the JD?
[*]Anyone who has been here (deciding on these 3 tractors) ha to make a final determination - what were the deciding factors?
[*] Anyone decide on one of these guys (or their predecessors) then with they had done the BH equipped tractor? The $4000 upfront is a lot of rental time - but there is also a convenience factor by owning.
[*] Who likes what better - and why?
[/list]
On the dealer front - both of them are really nice places - my wife loved the older fellow at the Kubota place and he gave her a free hat /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think both places would be excellent after the sale.

I know I have a lot of questions - but this place is a rich spawning ground of opinions and information... so I'm here to listen!

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #3  
Geeeeez! Some people have ALLLL the luck! A free hat??! And you haven't even bought a tractor yet? I had to buy two new Kubotas in less than 2 years to get a hat! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Your wife must be quite the charmer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bob

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #4  
Geeeeez! Some people have ALLLL the luck! A free hat??! And you haven't even bought a tractor yet? I had to buy two new Kubotas in less than 2 years to get a hat! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Your wife must be quite the charmer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bob

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #5  
Limited cat. I hitches simply means that some full sized cat. I implements won't fit on the hitch. There may be width limitations, or vertical height limitations such as trying to use a post hole digger that is really long won't usually fit on a limited hitch. On the JD, I believe it also means that you don't have position control, or, in other words, you can't just move the lever to where you want the hitch to fall and let go and the hitch goes to neutral and stays where you put it, but have to move the lever and when it's where you want it, then move the lever back to neutral manually.

There are companies that make implements especially for limited hitches, but they usually actually cost a little more from what I've seen.

As far as the pedal goes, no, I don't think there anything "unsafe" about it, and imagine a MFG making something unsafe and putting themselves a risk of lawsuits. I don't think Kubota corporation would take that chance. With Hydro, when you let up off the pedal, it comes to a stop unless you're on a steep slope and then it can move some, but the brake is right there for you to push.

This disadvantage with brakes on the right is when one has a situation where one brake would need to be pushed in order to steer the tractor, as in really close quarters while plowing, or, as someone pointed out to me, when moving snow and the only effective steering would come from pushing one brake to steer because the front is only sliding and not steering.

I have the same setup on my CK20 with brakes and HST pedal on the same side. I have almost never had to use the brakes for anything other than parking on a slope, or momentarily stopping on a slope. We don't have snow work here!

The Kubota 3pt hitch does not have a true position control hitch either, but moves in 1/4" increments, so, to me, it's a limited Cat. I hitch, but may take more implements than does the JD.
Although it, too, is not real high on the lift.

To me, the 1/4" hitch would be preferable though between the two.

The Kubota has a little more ground clearance, but neither of them have even one foot of clearance.

With either tractor, just know that some implements won't be appropriate to use on them, and that with both, lift capacities are fairly limited but may be all you need around a residence.

Between the two, I think I'd go with the Kubota.
John

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #6  
Limited cat. I hitches simply means that some full sized cat. I implements won't fit on the hitch. There may be width limitations, or vertical height limitations such as trying to use a post hole digger that is really long won't usually fit on a limited hitch. On the JD, I believe it also means that you don't have position control, or, in other words, you can't just move the lever to where you want the hitch to fall and let go and the hitch goes to neutral and stays where you put it, but have to move the lever and when it's where you want it, then move the lever back to neutral manually.

There are companies that make implements especially for limited hitches, but they usually actually cost a little more from what I've seen.

As far as the pedal goes, no, I don't think there anything "unsafe" about it, and imagine a MFG making something unsafe and putting themselves a risk of lawsuits. I don't think Kubota corporation would take that chance. With Hydro, when you let up off the pedal, it comes to a stop unless you're on a steep slope and then it can move some, but the brake is right there for you to push.

This disadvantage with brakes on the right is when one has a situation where one brake would need to be pushed in order to steer the tractor, as in really close quarters while plowing, or, as someone pointed out to me, when moving snow and the only effective steering would come from pushing one brake to steer because the front is only sliding and not steering.

I have the same setup on my CK20 with brakes and HST pedal on the same side. I have almost never had to use the brakes for anything other than parking on a slope, or momentarily stopping on a slope. We don't have snow work here!

The Kubota 3pt hitch does not have a true position control hitch either, but moves in 1/4" increments, so, to me, it's a limited Cat. I hitch, but may take more implements than does the JD.
Although it, too, is not real high on the lift.

To me, the 1/4" hitch would be preferable though between the two.

The Kubota has a little more ground clearance, but neither of them have even one foot of clearance.

With either tractor, just know that some implements won't be appropriate to use on them, and that with both, lift capacities are fairly limited but may be all you need around a residence.

Between the two, I think I'd go with the Kubota.
John

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #7  
With the HST found on both tractors you'll very rarely use the brake for anything other than as a parking brake. Both HST's have internal brakes that accuate when the pedal returns to neutral. When you are going full steam ahead and start to let up on the pedal the combination of the lower fluid pressure coupled with the internal brakeing system will slow the tractor without the need to use the brake. You never want to abruptly return the HST pedal to nuetral as the tractor will try to come to a complete stop immediately. The internal brakeing of the HST is that good (my experience is on the BX23 but I imagine the JD is similar) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
So no, theres no danger in having a rarely used brake pedal on the same side as the HST pedal. Matter of fact, if you were to lift your foot off of the HST pedal to depress the brake pedal, it would be the same operation you're used to when brakeing in your car....... we all know you're not supposed to brake with your left foot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have my BH dismounted at least 80% of the time. It's very easy to mount/dismount. For my use the BH cannot be cost justified since I rarely use it but, when I do use it, it justifies itself over and over again as my back never aches after digging with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Over time I've come up with other uses for it besides digging. I'm thinking of adding a thumb to it which will increase it's usefulness and add another justification to it's warchest. It makes a very nice articulated boom pole also.

Part of what swung me to the Orange side was how I was recieved by each dealer. Basically, I prefered the 2 Kubota dealers over the 4 JD dealers I stopped in to deal with. Not surprisingly 2 of those JD dealers have been bought out by the 3rd and I've heard they've improved their customer relations since....

When I was shopp'n, I narrowed it down to the BX2230, B7510, B7610, GC2310, JD2210 and CK20. I ruled out the B7610, CK20 and GC2310 on price and the JD2210 on poor dealer attitude, I just didn't want to spend my hard earned money in the 4 JD places of business.
I went back and forth between the BX2230 & B7510 and test drove both several times in trying to make the determination. I liked the "feel" of the 7510 but wanted the full floating MMM of the BX and felt it would be a better finish mower.
At the 12 hr, when I walked on the lot of the dealer I interacted the best with, determined to buy either a BX2230 or B7510 on that day, I had to walk past a BX23 to get to the door and I decided to give it a test, needless to say they were delivering that very BX23 to my humble abode a few days later. Lets just say that the BH wasn't as painful an addition to my "needs" list as I originally thought it would be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both tractors you've narrowed down to are premium grade tools made by time honored manufacturers in a highly competitive industry. Neither one can afford to have a dangerous or poorly made product.
I recommend you go with the one the fits you best, has a the dealer that you feel the most comfortable in dealing with and basically, go with the machine that cranks your tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Clear as mud? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck
Volfandt

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #8  
With the HST found on both tractors you'll very rarely use the brake for anything other than as a parking brake. Both HST's have internal brakes that accuate when the pedal returns to neutral. When you are going full steam ahead and start to let up on the pedal the combination of the lower fluid pressure coupled with the internal brakeing system will slow the tractor without the need to use the brake. You never want to abruptly return the HST pedal to nuetral as the tractor will try to come to a complete stop immediately. The internal brakeing of the HST is that good (my experience is on the BX23 but I imagine the JD is similar) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
So no, theres no danger in having a rarely used brake pedal on the same side as the HST pedal. Matter of fact, if you were to lift your foot off of the HST pedal to depress the brake pedal, it would be the same operation you're used to when brakeing in your car....... we all know you're not supposed to brake with your left foot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have my BH dismounted at least 80% of the time. It's very easy to mount/dismount. For my use the BH cannot be cost justified since I rarely use it but, when I do use it, it justifies itself over and over again as my back never aches after digging with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Over time I've come up with other uses for it besides digging. I'm thinking of adding a thumb to it which will increase it's usefulness and add another justification to it's warchest. It makes a very nice articulated boom pole also.

Part of what swung me to the Orange side was how I was recieved by each dealer. Basically, I prefered the 2 Kubota dealers over the 4 JD dealers I stopped in to deal with. Not surprisingly 2 of those JD dealers have been bought out by the 3rd and I've heard they've improved their customer relations since....

When I was shopp'n, I narrowed it down to the BX2230, B7510, B7610, GC2310, JD2210 and CK20. I ruled out the B7610, CK20 and GC2310 on price and the JD2210 on poor dealer attitude, I just didn't want to spend my hard earned money in the 4 JD places of business.
I went back and forth between the BX2230 & B7510 and test drove both several times in trying to make the determination. I liked the "feel" of the 7510 but wanted the full floating MMM of the BX and felt it would be a better finish mower.
At the 12 hr, when I walked on the lot of the dealer I interacted the best with, determined to buy either a BX2230 or B7510 on that day, I had to walk past a BX23 to get to the door and I decided to give it a test, needless to say they were delivering that very BX23 to my humble abode a few days later. Lets just say that the BH wasn't as painful an addition to my "needs" list as I originally thought it would be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both tractors you've narrowed down to are premium grade tools made by time honored manufacturers in a highly competitive industry. Neither one can afford to have a dangerous or poorly made product.
I recommend you go with the one the fits you best, has a the dealer that you feel the most comfortable in dealing with and basically, go with the machine that cranks your tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Clear as mud? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck
Volfandt

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #9  
Both are clearly quality products and you won't be disappointed, no matter what your choice.

I was recently looking at the same tractor choices you are. There was no compelling reason why I went with the Kubota, other than it was $2000 cheaper than the JD.

/ BX2350 (BX24) or JD2305 #10  
Both are clearly quality products and you won't be disappointed, no matter what your choice.

I was recently looking at the same tractor choices you are. There was no compelling reason why I went with the Kubota, other than it was $2000 cheaper than the JD.