Bogus ads on TBN??

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #101  
bbse,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( All I know is if someone offers you a chance to make a lot of money for a small investment LOOKOUT!!! . You are fixing to go for a ride you don't want to be on.))</font>
Oh yeah, you'll get no argument from me on this point. Such get rich scams are either illegal or will end up cleaning you out and just getting the scammer rich.

Yep I can be a sucker too, luckily I have enough natural skepticism to avoid most things, although a few car dealers have sold me lemons from time to time. Oddly I find the Internet safer for me, because I can take the time to do the research a little better instead of the in person pressure of a sales/con man (not saying all salesmen are con men, just some are).

These tractors are a perfect example. I don't have good sense of values of them, but I knew these to be under priced. I still investigated further and when I got his email I was able to carefully read it and alarm bells went off immediately. I would have had a harder time carefully analyzing and parsing the quick talking words of a con man in person however.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ( BTW, I did not say cheat an honest man.))</font>
Yes, and that was what I was referring to in my first post. Yes a greedy person can be enticed to buy into some money making scam or attempt to buy something for nothing. But a generous man can be cheated just as well.

Either way these thieves tick me off. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #102  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I would have to agree that someone going after a 25k setup for 3K is responding to that primary greed trigger that the con is using. I am sorry if this upsets some but it is the truth. I saw it time after time. If you walk away you could not be cheated. </font>

Well Said!

PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

On the Internet, there's one born every second.

Reading the entire thread reveals the context is someone responding to an ad for a tractor being offered at a substantial discount to the going market price and not a tractor being sold at near market price and simply being misrepresented. These people are not thieves, they do not take someone's money, people send them money. 'Blaming the rape victim' analogy is not only wrong it's disgusting. )</font>

No it's not well said!

You guys are something else!

You can't call someone, looking for a deal on a tractor, Greedy (gulible maybe, if they bite on the obvious scam).

Good greif! Does that mean if you use coupons or look for deals your greedy because you want to keep some cash in your pocket. I think criminals prey on the trusting more than the greedy. I don't think it is accurate to characterize everyone who gets taken as greedy.

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #103  
<font color="blue"> So these folks lie to take someone's money, but yet they are not thieves? I guess I'm talking in a wider context. </font>
When a thief takes something, the thief is active while the person being stolen from is passive. They are the victim, just as someone who is raped is a victim.

In an eBay scam, the victim is also active. It's not like the eBay scammer reaches in and grabs money out of the buyer's hand. The buyer is an active participant in the process.

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #104  
<font color="blue"> No it's not well said! </font>
That's your opinion.

<font color="blue"> You can't call someone, looking for a deal on a tractor, Greedy </font>
There's a difference between looking for a deal and the original topic of this thread.

<font color="blue"> I don't think it is accurate to characterize everyone who gets taken as greedy. </font>
If they get taken on a '$25,000 tractor for $3,000' deal, then my opinion is they are greedy.

You don't agree with me. Fine. To each his own.

/ Bogus ads on TBN??
What I keep pointing out is the method cons use to beat people out of thier money. I have been lied to and taken in many times. I admit to being gullible. That is not what I am talking about. When a con invents a scheme, he has to use a bait. The bait has to appeal to the taste buds of the victim. In all the cases I am aware of that used an active bait principle, greed or getting something for nothing, was the primary motive. Now there are cons who pray on unsuspecting little old ladies or trusting seniors. They deserve a hotter place in hades as soon as possible. But I have also seen some greedy seniors taken when they bit on a scam. Like I said, some would not like it but it is a truth. Most con jobs use greed as a bait trigger.

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #106  
bbse said:
What I keep pointing out is the method cons use to beat people out of thier money. I have been lied to and taken in many times. I admit to being gullible. That is not what I am talking about. When a con invents a scheme, he has to use a bait. The bait has to appeal to the taste buds of the victim. In all the cases I am aware of that used an active bait principle, greed or getting something for nothing, was the primary motive. Now there are cons who pray on unsuspecting little old ladies or trusting seniors. They deserve a hotter place in hades as soon as possible. But I have also seen some greedy seniors taken when they bit on a scam. Like I said, some would not like it but it is a truth. Most con jobs use greed as a bait trigger.

The problem I have with this and MikePA's premise behind everyone being greedy, that falls into a trap like this, is that your trying to determine someone's motives. There are various motives for why people would bite on a deal like you mention: desparation, gulible (overly trusting), ignorance and yes greed. I guess you guys would rather see people as greedy though.

I think we all are greedy to a varying degree - but I will maintain that there are a lot of reasons people get suckered, not just greed. This only bugs me because I hate it when people try to judge why others do things.

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #107  
(I don't know the official name for an hour meter based on engine RPM but I have heard them called useage meters.)
</font>

In aviation it's referred to as (Tach Time).

sg

/ Bogus ads on TBN?? #108  
RickO, of course you're right about there being many reasons people fall for cons, but Mike was also right that most "cons" start based on their expectations that the victim will be greedy. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're not. In my years in law enforcement, I learned a little bit about various con jobs; perhaps the most common being known as the "pigeon drop", and yes, it's based on hoping the victim will try to get something for nothing. So I was more than a little surprised when my grandfather got taken for $5,000 until I learned all the details. Most pigeon drops only take 15 minutes to an hour at most, but with my grandfather, the two guys worked on him for over 8 hours; one playing the dummy who claimed to have just inherited a lot of cash which he was going to spend on nothing but women and booze, and taunting my grandfather that he'd never even seen that kind of money; the other trying to encourage my grandfather to take the smart alec dummy's money. And he still didn't want the other fellow's money; only finally agreed to hold it for him, after proving that he also had $5,000 in cash. And of course he didn't see the switch in packages until too late.

/ Bogus ads on TBN??
I think birds example is a good one. In his scenario they were trying to use greed. Since that didn't work they went for gullibility. My point was that most use greed as the core principle, not that everyone got beat because they were greedy. It just so happens that they use greed because it works. Like I said, I been beat because I make the mistake of being too trusting. I have only been taken in things like car deals and legitamate purchases. I once bought into selling AL Williams. I also bought a thing called the family film program when I was a newly wed (sucker) which I never once used. GOOD SALESMAN. I now have a $540 photo album.:mad: