Mower vs. small tractor?

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #1  

cdblanchard

I have 5 acres in Norhtern AZ - pretty rocky with slight slope. Building a log home and am clearing the area. Looking to buy a small tractor, but am finding that the smartest thing to do might be to get a mower and remove the cutting deck. Need higher ground clearance and something that will pull attachments well. Any suggestions on brands/models? HELP!

/ Mower vs. small tractor?
I have 5 acres in Norhtern AZ - pretty rocky with slight slope. Building a log home and am clearing the area. Looking to buy a small tractor, but am finding that the smartest thing to do might be to get a mower and remove the cutting deck. Need higher ground clearance and something that will pull attachments well. Any suggestions on brands/models? HELP!

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #3  
Well, it depends on what you need/want to do on the land. If you are moving any dirt at all, or substantial amounts of brush. A mower just won't do. If you are looking for a do-all machine that is well suited to mowing, but can handle some other tasks, here are a few on the "smaller" end to consider:

Kioti CK20
BX series Kubotas
Simplicity Legacy
TYM T233, T273, 330HST

Of these the CK20 and TYM's are probably the most capable, all around. Of course JD, NH, MF, and others also have machines that would fit your needs. All of these are well made, good choices. Wow! This list covers quite a range! You have to clarify your uses and select the right machine for YOU. Remember: heavy is better for ground work, light and nimble for grass.

I went through similar thinking some years ago. I bought a large JD garden tractor (425 AWS). It's great for mowing and snow removal. But, many times I wished it could have done more. So, years later, I bought another, bigger machine (Kioti CK25). Now I have 2 tractors; both ideal for their intended use. But, had I bought bigger to start with. I would have saved some serious dough in the long run. A bigger tractor will generally do anything a smaller one can. But, not visa versa. Sometimes a smaller tractor will do it more easily (my little deere will snow plow circles around the CK25 on confined driveways and walks). But there are many things a bigger machine can do that a smaller one simply cannot - not strong enough, not tall enough, not heavy enough.

Of course a serious tractor commands serious bucks. So, don't expect to get it done for a grand or two. Unlike buying a car, consider that it's a long term investment, on the order of 20 years or more.

There are many posts on this topic. All of this has been addressed in these other posts. Read many, and then read some more. You'll then know what direction to take.

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #4  
Well, it depends on what you need/want to do on the land. If you are moving any dirt at all, or substantial amounts of brush. A mower just won't do. If you are looking for a do-all machine that is well suited to mowing, but can handle some other tasks, here are a few on the "smaller" end to consider:

Kioti CK20
BX series Kubotas
Simplicity Legacy
TYM T233, T273, 330HST

Of these the CK20 and TYM's are probably the most capable, all around. Of course JD, NH, MF, and others also have machines that would fit your needs. All of these are well made, good choices. Wow! This list covers quite a range! You have to clarify your uses and select the right machine for YOU. Remember: heavy is better for ground work, light and nimble for grass.

I went through similar thinking some years ago. I bought a large JD garden tractor (425 AWS). It's great for mowing and snow removal. But, many times I wished it could have done more. So, years later, I bought another, bigger machine (Kioti CK25). Now I have 2 tractors; both ideal for their intended use. But, had I bought bigger to start with. I would have saved some serious dough in the long run. A bigger tractor will generally do anything a smaller one can. But, not visa versa. Sometimes a smaller tractor will do it more easily (my little deere will snow plow circles around the CK25 on confined driveways and walks). But there are many things a bigger machine can do that a smaller one simply cannot - not strong enough, not tall enough, not heavy enough.

Of course a serious tractor commands serious bucks. So, don't expect to get it done for a grand or two. Unlike buying a car, consider that it's a long term investment, on the order of 20 years or more.

There are many posts on this topic. All of this has been addressed in these other posts. Read many, and then read some more. You'll then know what direction to take.

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #5  
Might want to buy something like an old Ford tractor with a loader. 800/ 801 , 2000, 3000, 4000 series. There are many models in each series as designated by the last 2-3 numbers.

These tractors will run you $3500-8000 with a loader depending on condition, year and if attachments are included. They will be able to easily lift more weight to a higher point than a new tractor of double the cost. You can also do a lot of rough work with them clearing brush, rock and doing your landscaping.

After a year or two when you have completed the heavy work and built the cabin, you can sell the tractor with little or no depreciation. Then get a mower or small tractor that fits your long term needs better.

Just a thought.

jb

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #6  
Might want to buy something like an old Ford tractor with a loader. 800/ 801 , 2000, 3000, 4000 series. There are many models in each series as designated by the last 2-3 numbers.

These tractors will run you $3500-8000 with a loader depending on condition, year and if attachments are included. They will be able to easily lift more weight to a higher point than a new tractor of double the cost. You can also do a lot of rough work with them clearing brush, rock and doing your landscaping.

After a year or two when you have completed the heavy work and built the cabin, you can sell the tractor with little or no depreciation. Then get a mower or small tractor that fits your long term needs better.

Just a thought.

jb

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #7  
What part of Northern Arizona are you in. I live in Flagstaff and have had good luck with the Montana dealer - Only one other dealer in the area and the used market is really slim. I heard on the radio that high country trailers is a Branson Dealer.

If you are wanting to do leveling work and are in those malipai rocks, go for a compact tractor - I have a 30 hp and love it but I live in the potato dirt in east flagstaff.

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #8  
What part of Northern Arizona are you in. I live in Flagstaff and have had good luck with the Montana dealer - Only one other dealer in the area and the used market is really slim. I heard on the radio that high country trailers is a Branson Dealer.

If you are wanting to do leveling work and are in those malipai rocks, go for a compact tractor - I have a 30 hp and love it but I live in the potato dirt in east flagstaff.

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #9  
Go with a small tractor.
Bob

/ Mower vs. small tractor? #10  
Go with a small tractor.
Bob