POWERING A BACKHOE

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #1  

grsr3

Bronze Member
I will soon be buying a tractor that I want to mount a backhoe on to from time to time. I would like the middle size backhoe (goes to 8' depth). What is the lowest HP rated tractor I should buy to power that hoe. Have been looking at Yanmar 3110-36 HP (gray market-inexpensive) but hard to find. There seems to be many more of the 20 to 30 HP tractors available than anything over 30HP. Can I get away with a tractor in the mid 20's -HP rating???????

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #2  
Choose your backhoe... see what it calls for.

Keep in mind you will want a subframe.. and different tractor models are rated for different backhoes..

soundguy

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #3  
Unless running a separate pump off of the PTO for the backhoe, sizing has more to do with hydraulic pump capacity than it does with HP. Also, the weight and over all strength of the tractor and frame are equally important. As was suggested, you might choose a backhoe first, then get a tractor to match. I run a 7.5' backhoe on a 25 hp Kioti. Works like a champ. HP has never been an issue. Pump capacity is just shy of 13 gpm, and she weighs more than 5500 lbs with bh, FEL, and loaded tires. A light machine with a big backhoe is more apt to be drug around by the hoe. For heavy machines in CUT sizes, look at Kioti, TYM (Century, Scorpian, Branson), and Mahindra.

Pump! Pump! Pump!.... Weight! Weight! Weight!

/ POWERING A BACKHOE
Hello,
Thanks for your response. Not sure if I need a frame mount or 3-point setup. Since I will be using the hoe infrequently I am thinking the 3-point would go on and off easier than a frame mount--------but, I don't like that wiggling all around that you get with a 3-point. Only used a 3-point one time--many years ago, and I remember it wiggling all around. Is there sucha thing as a quick connect frame mounted hoe???????

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hello,
Is there sucha thing as a quick connect frame mounted hoe??????? )</font>
I think pretty much all of the modern frame mounts are quick connects.

Andy

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #6  
AndyMA said:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hello,
Is there sucha thing as a quick connect frame mounted hoe??????? )</font>
I think pretty much all of the modern frame mounts are quick connects.

Andy

That depends on the tractor and also the backhoe. In my case, neither tractor nor backhoe had a subframe available so I had to make one from scratch. I'n sure it would've been easier to modify and existing one to fit the other?

/ POWERING A BACKHOE #7  
A 3pt backhoe just tears up the tractor. My frame mount comes off in less than 1 minute, no tools. Putting it back on can be just as fast, with practice lining up the hooks. I see few reasons to even consider a 3pt setup these days. Many dealers won't even sell them any more.