Flying blind with less than a clue....

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #1  

GeauxLSU

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Hey all, first post (don't you just love newbies? :eek: )
I have a little over 8 acres but only (I'm guessing) about 3 of it is cleared. Property line is a river and there's a VERY small 'pond' (ok watering hole) on it. It's old pasture (I think). Right now I just need it cut (bush hogged) but near and long term I'd like to do a little biannual planting of it (clover, sunflower, etc...) for wildlife. (I also am unfortunately in the market for a new car for my wife so I have a pretty limited budget.) So, having about as much clue about thermonuclear dynamics as I do about tractors, I've been asking around and doing a little web reading and I 'think', I'd like something like a 3cyl Yanmar, in 4wd, mid 20s to low 30s hp. I had convinced myself that I didn't need a FEL but everybody is trying to convince me otherwise. Given I had assumed I could do this for $5k that quickly makes that assumption probably less realistic.
SO I'M LOOKING FOR HELP/SUGGESTIONS.
What would you get and from whom (I'm in the north Atlanta burbs)?
I'll answer any additional questions anyone may have but again, going on less than a half a clue, so I may not know. :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Phil

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #2  
Phil, when I first bought 10 acres in the country, I started looking (even before we closed the deal to buy the land) for an old tractor; just something to do a little brush hogging and maybe plow a garden, etc. I, too, thought I could find something under $5,000. After more than 6 months of hunting, I finally bought a new Kubota B7100 with a front end loader. It seems the smaller tractors hold their value even better than big ones. You might find a real bargain somewhere, but they're pretty scarce. And like the other people you've talked to, I think you'll regret it if you don't get a front end loader.

And welcome to Tractorbynet.

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #3  
I bought my Yanmar with a FEL for $5k, but is is smaller than what you are looking for (depending on the source it is either 18 or 19hp). I looked for a long time though and mine isn't pretty, but runs good. Without the loader, you can find one for your budget. Do you need a loader? Well, it sounds like you won't be moving snow with it. The other things I do with it are move horse manure, gravel, rocks and stack bales of hay. I have also used it to uproot very small trees. If you go to the Yanmar forum I believe there were reputable dealers in Florida. There are other reputable dealers if you don't mind paying for shipping. Someone on there may be able to recommend someone close to you. The Yanmar dealers that participate in this forum all have excellent reputations.

/ Flying blind with less than a clue....
Thanks. I just missed one with front end loader, Yanmar tiller, scrape, finishing harrow and a 16' Tandem trailer that went for $7k. It had less than 150 hrs since recondition. Missed one a month ago for $3,500 with implements (but I don't think it had a FEL but it was 4wd) but I think it was only 24hp.
I don't mind paying more than $5k but can't go drop $15k+ either.
If I can keep in under $10k I'm sure I'll survive.
At least one dealer somewhat locally (middle GA) that appears to be very above board. The local guys.... well, I'm turning over a new leaf so I'll just hush now. :eek:

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #5  
GeauxLSU said:
I don't mind paying more than $5k but can't go drop $15k+ either.
:eek:

Tractors cost money. Not just the intial purchase, but fuel, repairs, etc.
If you cannot buy what the job needs, hire someone to do the work.
Bob

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #6  
You might also want to give some consideration to an old Ford 8n/9n or Fergie 20/30 if you can't find a suitable import. Seems like most parts of the country report in the $1500-$4000 range.

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #7  
Well, it's true you do have to be able to buy or rent implements for it, too or it would be a rather useless machine. Whether you buy new or used depends on your situation. I wasn't worried about buying used for one simple fact; almost all my neighbors know tractors and know how to fix them. They are a very helpful lot. I didn't have to go buy a used tractor by myself. I had knowledgable people to come with me. They have always helped when I get myself into something that I don't know how to fix. Not everyone has that commodity though. Myself, I didn't want a tractor payment. But, if you buy used at least buy from a reputable dealer who will be able to provide repairs, parts and support if you will need that.

As for the reconditioned tractors, just be careful. Some people on here report getting a great machine and others say never buy one. That is an argument that has been fought many times on the Yanmar forum and hopefully I don't start another fire here! You might want to read through the old threads on that one concerning those and make up your own mind. Sounds like there is 1 or 2 places putting out quality refurbished tractors and 3 or 4 putting out junk and it may be hard to tell which your tractor came from.

However, that being said, Yanmars have a long life span and if you can find a machine that was well maintained it should serve you for a very long time.

If you have neighbors like mine, perhaps you could save some money sharing implements. I can't use some of their stuff because it is too big for my tractor (bush hog), and finish mowers are something you use every week and need your own, but if they are willing, you could buy implements they don't have, and use the ones they do. My neighbor has a PHD and a rake, but not a box blade so I am going to buy the box blade. We also share trailers and other things.

As you have time, read through the Yanmar threads; many people on there are knowledgable and helpful, and you will learn a lot!

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #8  
I went through this put and take exercise in May05 after I closed escrow on my 10-acres of grazing land here in the North Valley.

Like you I had my eye on a Yanmar 1700 (21hp engine) with a Koyker FEL. Cost would have been around $7-8K.

I eventually bought a Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine) with the LA302 FEL for $12,600 plus tax (10% down, 0% for 36 months). Liked the peace of mind from owning a new tractor with a 3-year warrenty, an FEL, 4WD, power steering, AND a hydrostatic transmission.

That Yanmar 1700 looks pretty threadbare compared to the features on the B7510HST. If I would have opted for the Yanmar, I would have had a used 25-year old tractor, no P/S, no HST, no 4WD that cost nearly 2/3 what I paid for the Kubota. From my viewpoint, the Kubota choice was a no-brainer.

Added a 4-ft King Kutter box blade ($375) and a 4-ft KK brush hog ($675), both from Tractor Supply.

My advice is to find a dealer you trust who offers this type of financing deal (or equivalent) so you don't have to come up with all the cash immediately. The $338/mo for the tractor for me is like buying a cheap car on time. What brand of tractor you end up with is not that important. Getting the right financing deal from a reputable dealer is more important.

You'll have a new tractor/FEL. And trust me, you'll kick yourself in the rear if you don't get the FEL. AND, since you're a newby, get a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. Makes FEL work a breeze compared to a gear tractor.

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #9  
20 to 30 hp is fine.. Check out used domestic too.

Heck.. if you can turn a wrench.. check out the chinese section. Economy 20 hp unit and a fel might be just outside your rated budget.. but very very close..
Deffinately worth looking at. i've seen some units in the 4000$ range.. slap a laoder on it and that will bump the cost up to or just beyond your range.. might be an option.

If you buy a used domestic.. or used grey market you will be wrenching on it anyway..

Soundguy

GeauxLSU said:
Hey all, first post (don't you just love newbies? :eek: )
I have a little over 8 acres but only (I'm guessing) about 3 of it is cleared. Property line is a river and there's a VERY small 'pond' (ok watering hole) on it. It's old pasture (I think). Right now I just need it cut (bush hogged) but near and long term I'd like to do a little biannual planting of it (clover, sunflower, etc...) for wildlife. (I also am unfortunately in the market for a new car for my wife so I have a pretty limited budget.) So, having about as much clue about thermonuclear dynamics as I do about tractors, I've been asking around and doing a little web reading and I 'think', I'd like something like a 3cyl Yanmar, in 4wd, mid 20s to low 30s hp. I had convinced myself that I didn't need a FEL but everybody is trying to convince me otherwise. Given I had assumed I could do this for $5k that quickly makes that assumption probably less realistic.
SO I'M LOOKING FOR HELP/SUGGESTIONS.
What would you get and from whom (I'm in the north Atlanta burbs)?
I'll answer any additional questions anyone may have but again, going on less than a half a clue, so I may not know. :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Phil

/ Flying blind with less than a clue.... #10  
Lsu in Ga?....Anyway, yanmars are great tractors, had one for over 20 years. The drawback for me was the size of the cockpit, if you are big or tall or both, the older tractors get real small real fast. The platform of the newer machines is way more comfortable, so make sure that you sit on whatever you are looking at, better yet drive it! You will never regret getting a FEL, it makes many tasks easy and fun. If you go grey market get a ROPS(especially with an FEL)...cheap insurance. Take your time, the right deal will come along.
RD....go SLU!