Great Board! questions...

/ Great Board! questions... #1  

CTW

Silver Member
Afternoon all, I'm new to the forum and I really like all the info floating about here, great discussions. I've seen others that are new to the tractoring field or those that have been around it a while back but just don't remember that much, the latter best discribes myself. I love tractors and cannot wait to get back "into it". I trying to find a starting place for purchasing a tractor, I know the following:

I want something new
I need something reliable first, a good deal second
I need a FEL, bushhog and boxblade
4wd

I've got about 150 acres in S. Tex to maintain (mowing, making roads, maybe a tank?)

Where do you think I should begin? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice that you may have or wish to pass along.

CTW

/ Great Board! questions... #2  
150 acres of mesquite, prickley pear and everything else that has thorns. Whatever you get I would recommend foam filling of the tires.
Building a tank would be best done by a dozer or excavator...a tractor would take a very long time.
As far as tractor size 40hp and up with cab for A/C.

/ Great Board! questions...
Thanks Wushaw, you're probably right about the dozer, I'll just have to get a fella out there to see what I'm talking about. Not too much mesquite but plenty of huisache (even better). Filling the tires will be a must. I would be satified with something in the 50 - 70+ hp class, any of the new makes truly stand out as far as durability? I'm looking to keep this machine for a long while. Nearby, I have a New Holland, Mahindra and Kubota dealer. Not too far away is a Deere.

/ Great Board! questions... #4  
On other thought is just buying a used dozer first for cutting roads/senderos building a tank or two, in other words get all the hard stuff done first then sell the dozer and buy your tractor for the maintence of roads/senderos.

/ Great Board! questions... #6  
"What is a tank?"

Great question really.. I have lived in Texas for 25 years, but when I moved here I asked that very question. I am originally from Northern California, where what a Texan calls a "tank" we called a POND...

So, a tank is like a pond, or small water reservoir.... typically used as a water source for livestock..

WB

/ Great Board! questions... #7  
You are already at the best starting place, TBN!:eek:

I think you are in the right class regarding horsepower and attachments.

For mesquite, I recommed herbicide spray... do not, repeat, do not brushhog it. If you need more info, ask. I cleared 200 acres of mesquite with herbicide.

Check into a hydraulic top and tilt... you will never regret a hydraulic top link... and likely find the tilt handy, too.

I was unfamiliar with the hydrostatic transmission capability when I started looking, now, I love it... thus recommend you try driving one at a dealer's.

Everybody has their favorite tractor color, so check out all the various posts by manufacturer at TBN... paying attention to comments re reliability, dealer service, warranty issues, engineering problems, etc... I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend you look at Kubota... I love mine and have had zero problems with it... 500hrs so far.

/ Great Board! questions... #8  
CTW said:
Thanks Wushaw, you're probably right about the dozer, I'll just have to get a fella out there to see what I'm talking about. Not too much mesquite but plenty of huisache (even better). Filling the tires will be a must. I would be satified with something in the 50 - 70+ hp class, any of the new makes truly stand out as far as durability? I'm looking to keep this machine for a long while. Nearby, I have a New Holland, Mahindra and Kubota dealer. Not too far away is a Deere.

All four of these brands have lotsa good, reliable tractors in your HP range. Test drive and get to know the dealers. Ask a lot of questions.

Try to think 2-3 years downstream about your tractor/implement needs before you pull the trigger on a deal.

Get the best financing deal you can from a dealer you think is reliable. Lotsa dealers run 10% down/0% financing for 24-36 months to incentivize buyers.

Check his service/repair/parts operation to be sure he can support you after the purchase (how many technicians, type of service equipment, etc.).

For serious FEL work, power steering is a must. And 4WD and a hydrostatic transmission make FEL work easy.

/ Great Board! questions... #9  
gordon21 said:
What is a tank???

Don't worry Gordon21 I have run across several "Texans" that have never heard a pond called a Tank.

/ Great Board! questions... #10  
CTW said:
I want something new
I need something reliable first, a good deal second
I need a FEL, bushhog and boxblade
4wd

I've got about 150 acres in S. Tex to maintain (mowing, making roads, maybe a tank?)

Begin by trying as many tractors as you can. I was lucky and got to use 3 different tractors on my property. My wish list was just like yours. I changed by buying a used tractor (170 hours), getting 30 more HP than originally planned and went with an 8X8 with electric hydraulic shuttle shift (EHSS) since HST was not an option with 70 HP.

Regrets? Sure. Wish I had more power (HP is "sickness" with me :D ) 16 x 16 with power shuttle. But then it would have paid 10-12 grand more than I did. Life is quite often a compromise. But, the more power you have, the better life will be. I can always get around at 1000 RPM with 70 HP where I would have to run at 2000 rpm with less HP. Just wish I had 90 HP! But if I had 90 HP, I would have wanted 100 HP. And the beat goes on. If I were you, I would get a tank= tractor with lots of HP!!!!!!!!!!!!! 150 acres is a lot of land. HP eats up the work load.
Bob