what to buy?

/ what to buy? #11  
The only advice I am going to give is be careful shopping for used and take your time. I was working in your price range and bought sight unseen off E-Bay. Spent another $1k fixing up before I found the engine had a hole in it that had been covered over with something like JB Weld, than painted. Now I have a $6k boat anchor. When I recover ......if I recover?...... I looking for new.

Just be real careful. Definitely go over any used machine you are interested in with a fine tooth comb. If you know a good mechanic, consider paying to have a pre purchase inspection. Hindsight is still 20/20!;)

/ what to buy?
Sorry I have been swamped at work and have not had a chance to get back here until now.

I do not mind investing labor to fix\repair the tractor. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and could build some of the smaller implements (if I could find the time). If I can pull away from work I don't mind traveling to inspect the tractor as well. BTW I live in Connecticut.

I have been “managing the chores” with a bolens 1050, a homemade “toro dingo” and a lot manual labor. Obviously any tractor would be a significant improvement. The problem with cash is we are saving for a new house; have to replace the CFO’s car soon and we are trying to adopt our first child. Plus I’m trying to transition from regular employment to self employed in Information Technology. I have some spare computer\server\network equipment to hit Ebay this weekend. Hopefully this will increase the budget.

So far the conscience seems to be 4 wheel drive with power steering and 20+ HP. What other items should I look for in used unit? Any items to avoid?

/ what to buy? #13  
I'd definitely go 4wd with where you live. You will want to move snow with it. Hilly terrain would be best dealt with with 4wd also. As for power steering, seems to depend on the size of the tractor. My tractor is 19hp with a FEL and does not have power steering and I haven't had any trouble steering. I was initially worried about that too. I think once you get into the high 20s or more hp wise power steering becomes more important.

I am by no means an expert as far as checking out used tractors. I checked all the fluids, looked for any sign of leaks, checked the PTO, used the loader to actually move some dirt to make sure that it seemed to be operating correctly, checked the 4wd, and used all the gears. Read the thread on the Yanmar forum about the 2010BD with the loader: someone responding to that gave an excellent description over what to check on a used tractor.

Happy tractor hunting!

/ what to buy? #14  
With your mechanical aptitude, needs, and budget.. I'll second my recomendation for a chinese tractor.. perhaps a kama or jinma..e tc. Should be able to get a SCUT with loader, for your range.. perhaps 4wd at the edge or just beyond your range..

Soundguy

mikectd said:
Sorry I have been swamped at work and have not had a chance to get back here until now.

I do not mind investing labor to fix\repair the tractor. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and could build some of the smaller implements (if I could find the time). If I can pull away from work I don't mind traveling to inspect the tractor as well. BTW I live in Connecticut.

I have been “managing the chores” with a bolens 1050, a homemade “toro dingo” and a lot manual labor. Obviously any tractor would be a significant improvement. The problem with cash is we are saving for a new house; have to replace the CFO’s car soon and we are trying to adopt our first child. Plus I’m trying to transition from regular employment to self employed in Information Technology. I have some spare computer\server\network equipment to hit Ebay this weekend. Hopefully this will increase the budget.

So far the conscience seems to be 4 wheel drive with power steering and 20+ HP. What other items should I look for in used unit? Any items to avoid?

/ what to buy? #16  
While a new 4wd tractor would be nice and you would be able to do the work a lot faster and more efficiantly, a older 2wd can get it done if you are willing to take the time, and do more hand work. People lived for a long time without 4wd.

You can get a 3pt dirt scoop for the back. They will move dirt, not as much fun as a loader and not as accurate, but it can be done.

A back blade will work on your driveway for the stone and the snow. When it snows hard you will be putting a lot of time in going in reverse with the 2wd. If it snows light you can plow forward. A backblade can be used to level your drive and rough in your topsoil. Not as good as a loader and a box blade, but a King Kutter light duty BB new is a 200 + dollar bill

For the posts, get a chain and drag them out with the drawbar of the tractor and a 2 handed post hole digger. The holes are here if you are going to replace posts, you only need to clean them out once the old post is out. You can get a "carryall" KK for about 100 to haul all of your posts and stuff.

All of that said I think that you are going to wrench on whatever you get within budget. If I were going to buy a tractor with the knowledge that I was going to turn it over in a year or 3, it would be a brand name used one. In fact I did just that. I got a JD850 22hp in 2wd for 2800.00 with 1800 hours on it and worked it for a year and a half until the house was in and the CFO let me go looking for a new one. I plowed snow and pulled trees and there were not many days that the tractor was not running.

The other option is to buy enough tractor for your new house now. Go get a good small CUT or a SCUT that will serve you when you move.

/ what to buy? #17  
Mornin Mike,
Well 6K is not much of a budget but it can be done if you do some homework and some shopping :) I bought a 1986 Massey Ferguson MF-1040 32hp diesel FWD for $6000 about 2 1/2 years ago. It ahd an FEL and I have added a bushog squealer rotary mower, a grader blade, and the farmer down the road gave me a 6ft disc harrow for some machining work I did for him :) The tractor had 1300 hours on it when I bought it and it has worked out great.

Prior to using the diesel I mowed my fields with my old Farmall 42 A with a sickle mower. Needless to say the diesel is much faster.

There are deals out there if you look.

Attachments

• driveway.JPG
    driveway.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 100
   / what to buy? #18  
bloody_peasant said:
Doc Bob has failed to realize that for most of us, the CFO is also the CEO, CIO, COO, and the board of directors all roled up into one. :D

married (second time) for 16 years. I know who the BOSS is and it is not me!
Bob

/ what to buy?
Doc_Bob said:
married (second time) for 16 years. I know who the BOSS is and it is not me!
Bob

:D Any guy that says he is the boss does not have his wife in ear shot distance.