Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed..

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #31  
Soundguy said:
While i never hold my breath in these situations.. sometimes you can be pleasently surprised. I've actually had good luck contacting the regional rep for TSC before, after they 'boned' me one time a few years back. Same with my local bank I had been with since it opened. New manager was treating me like pond scum... A 4 page -nice- letter tot he bank president got me phone call from the district manager. About a week later that manager went on vacation and never came back...

Good luck... you never know... Be polite with the rep, assuming that he is trying to help.. etc..

Soundguy

Yep

They can't make good on things unless you let them know.

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #32  
Billy_S said:
I ended up being a tad irritated with my dealer too because he COULD have handled this under warranty if he wanted to. It isn't like Kubota was going to send someone out to look at the tractor. He could have handled it under warranty, but he didn't.

When making a statement like this have you ever worked for a company that does this sort of thing? Well I have. When we replaced a part it had to be tagged and stored. In major engine failures we would have to send the part back to the manufacture for inspection. If they concluded it was not a warranty they would not pay us back. Seeing a mangled seal would surely not pass the warranty test. I can tell you it's easier for a dealer to make a paid repair than a warranty. If he did warranty then he would probably be doing it on his nickel as a favor. Since he can get the seal for about half of list price and changing a wheel seal isn't that big of a deal. A slow day in the shop could have gotten it done for you. Most shop mechanics at a smallish tractor place get paid by the hour, cleaning the shop or repairing a tractor.

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #33  
If you follow up on PineRidge's suggestion, you might want to send a copy of that letter to the dealer as well. Let them know you are tired of trying to work with them and are going to the next level. It might kick them in a responsive area.

I had a situation once involving my daughter at college and a parking ticket for a car she didn't own parked illegally in a place she had never been. She didn't pay it, one thing led to another and pretty soon the bursar was threatening to withhold her grades over something she didn't do. At that point she called me. I wrote a letter to the university president and a copy to the university police basically saying I was going to take a day off work, drive 3 hours to see the president, whom I expected to have his calendar cleared so we could meet and get this straightened out. Daughter called back in 2 days saying it was all taken care of and I didn't need to come out there. She didn't know what I had done, just that she got a letter from the university police chief/captain saying it was their mistake and the problem no longer existed.

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #34  
Since I have been out of the industry for about 12 years now I do not know if this is still the case but there were only two steel manufacturers in the US that made bearing quality steel. So if you have a bearing that went bad because of quality issues with the steel it would not have mattered what brand tractor it is they all use the same steel. While I am sure that tractors made outside of the US does not get there bearing steel from the US. I would imagine that there are not that many steel manufacturers that turn out bearing quality steel.

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #35  
There is one thing that is not spoken of at dealers. For those of you that say the manufacture should have covered it, are right, and they may have.

A dirty little secret with dealers is, they charge the customer for repairs that should have or could have been covered under warranty, then charge the manufacturer for the warranty work anyway.

One way to settle this is to get the manufacturer involved at the highest level you can achieve, and explain every thing. Even if they still deny coverage, you have informed the manufacturer of the problem, thereby not allowing the dealer to double dip.

Many, many time I have gotten the ”suits” involved, and most times it helps, but not all.

Once a dealer told me several times he could not get parts to repair my front hub so I had to buy a whole new front axel, in fact several dealers told me the same story. I still didn’t buy that, so I called the main office, got the head tech on line and got the repair parts I needed shipped from Japan, overnight.

I called the dealer back and said something like “ remember those parts that didn’t exist, they’ll be on your back dock in the morning”

/ Bought new tractor, broke, disappointed.. #36  
Kendall69,
I thought car dealers were the only ones that did that double dipping stuff!
I just spent the last couple hours this afternoon with a friend making some parts for a friends "new tractor". We are making the 3 point hitch, out of junk the two of us have, using the tools I have (mostly). So far they are turning out pretty nice. Maybe he will post pictures when it is done!
Kubota made a tractor that the pto turned the wrong way, in the early days of it's importing. Wonder if that is one of the things mentioned about the Kubota grey market tractor and it's flaws.
We are considering building a reverser, but for now, it will be easier to buy new blades with the sharp edge on the wrong side.
Since it uses a strange spline size and count, I may be firing up the shaping head to try and make one, unless a post about this later brings in a source.
David from jax