any downside to hst?

/ any downside to hst? #151  
Soundguy said:
Hmm... synthetic UTF??? may have a good real world app .....

Soundguy

Well, I have blown out filters with UDT, Amsoil stuff and SUDT. The old style(s) of filters couldn't take the pressure from the charge pump. New filters seem fine, but only time and old man winter will tell for sure. Nothing like walking a 1/2 mile or more back to the truck to make a run for a new filter and jug of SUDT when it is brisk out. That's Cheese head talk for less than -20F. A bit nippy is less than -30F and chilly is when your beer freezes, while you swallow it!

jb

/ any downside to hst? #152  
So much for the amazing cold flow properties of synthetic oil that is thrown around like a miracle catch all answer to end all the worlds problems...

Soundguy

/ any downside to hst? #153  
Soundguy said:
So much for the amazing cold flow properties of synthetic oil that is thrown around like a miracle catch all answer to end all the worlds problems...

Soundguy

Does the world have any problems beyond the high kinematic viscosity of nonsynthetic dino oils at all ambient and operational temperatures? :rolleyes:

/ any downside to hst? #154  
I really don't think most people buy a certain transmission in their tractor because of the initial cost,if they are going to lose or gain a couple hp. do to a certain trans. or what it is going to cost for a repair, if needed somewhere down the road.They just want a tractor that best suits there paticular needs.I bought a tractor with a hyd. shuttle shift and creeper gears, may have ended up costing me more than an hst which is what I was going to buy and wanted in the first place.I haul logs out of the woods , pull heavy ground engaging epuipment etc. so the dealer rep. and tractor dealer said I wouldn't be happy with hst.. I took there word for it and went with the hyd. shuttle shift, do to a knee problem, I went with creeper gears for the snow blower.They didn't have the tractor I wanted on the lot,they had to install the creeper gears which I got at cost of the gears so they were not trying to pull a fast one over on me they were just being honest.There are many different types and sizes of tractors and all for a good reason,what will it be used for.I really wanted hst but I am very well pleased with what I have as it meets my needs very well.Is there a downside to hst,in certain applications it seems there is,in many other applications I would think it would be better.I have hst in my lawn tractor and would never go back to gear drive for that application for sure.

/ any downside to hst? #155  
HEC said:
I really don't think most people buy a certain transmission in their tractor because of the initial cost,if they are going to lose or gain a couple hp. do to a certain trans. or what it is going to cost for a repair, if needed somewhere down the road.

You may be right about most people, but I certainly did. All of the above in fact. And I think all of those things _should_ be considered, in proper perspective of course. But as you say, in all probability it rarely is.

I came to the market as a new tractor buyer. I like manual transmissions, I've driven various off and on road fork lifts, a few old farm tractors, big telephone utility (pole) trucks. So, the geared models didn't seem too intimidating to me. But, climbing up on it the first time to test drive it, it does take a minute or two to get oriented and a bit longer to get a feel for it. I think when a new potential buyer comes along who rarely drives a stick-shift in his car or truck and has never driven any 'equipment' other than his riding lawn mower, the ease of HST probably takes away a lot of the anxiety and intimidation of buying and using a new tractor. The geared models have levers sticking up everywhere, two accelerators, two brakes, etc. When the dealer points to the HST model and says all you have to do is press the pedal, well, that has to be reassuring and I think after that point, that buyer will consider nothing but HST. And that's fine. As pointed out, HST is clearly a great thing to have so the new buyer really isn't losing anything. Except, as I mentioned, he is getting significantly less hp per dollar. As long as the hp he is getting meets his needs, everything is great.

/ any downside to hst? #156  
Wow, My hat's off to you George! That was the best overall explaination of why HST is so popular with new to tractors buyers.

(I still like HST more than the old stop to shift for ease of operation)

jb

/ any downside to hst? #157  
Whew this is a heavy topic !! :eek: Did hear my grandmother comment one time about the viscosity of my gramps brain! ;)