L5030 vs new M or TN

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #1  

jswan

Hello again, I am still agonizing over a tractor choice. This has been a two month obsession. For some background I have recently purchased 80 acres of timber and CRP. Around the house I will intitially want to tear up some old concrete. After that it will be used for mowing the CRP, making foodplots, cleaning up the timber and some various landscaping, tilling and moving drifts of snow. I have a plow on my RTV that I plow with and it works great on the driveway. I also have an acreease mower that I pull behind the RTV but it is not so good in tight spaces. Finish mowing is with zd28. I have some prices all with cab and FEL. The L5030 is only 2k less than an M5040 but 6K less than an M7040. The TN is a 75DA and is the same price as the M7040. JD is significantly more, about 11K above the L5030 price for a 5325. I thought I decided bigger was better but now am not so sure. Stability is a big concern as I do have some hills especially on pasture of about 3 acres around the house that I like to mow a few times a year. I recently rolled the RTV while mowing this pasture. If bigger equals more stability I would opt for that even if it costs extra.
Thanks
John

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #2  
I think that if it is steep enough to roll your RTV than I wouldn't want to mow it with a tractor; especially a big one. It seems to me that the center of gravity on the RTV will be much lower than on a tractor. I know that there are lower stance tractors, but I still think that they would tip quicker than the RTV. Oh, as far as size goes, if you want HST than I think that the 5030 ( if memory serves correct ) is the biggest you can go. I vote for as big as you've got money to buy; although, one other suggestion is to get the 5030, and use the six grand that you might have spent on the larger tractors, and buy a professional mower that could do the hills more safely. Be carefull and good luck!
Daryle.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #3  
My opinion, the 5030 HSTC is the right size and choice for what you are doing. The HST is SUPERB for creeping up on scary slopes. I didn't understand this until I had one and realized that the creep factor actually increases the safety factor a lot. That said, DON'T go sideways across a steep slope... only up or down slope.

Can you get a "test drive" of your tractor choices on your place with the equipment you would be using??? If so, do it... than you know what the tractor will do on YOUR place.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #4  
I ending up choosing between the 7040 cab and 5030 cab. Money always matters, but for only a few thousand more, I would have bought the 7040 if it had fit my needs. I was very impressed with everything about it. The hydraulic shuttle was much easier to use than I had expected. The new M series cab is awesome! The seat is so comfortable - I wish the 5030 cab was that comfortable! I think stability would be similar with the two tractors. The 7040 is taller, but also heavier and wider.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #5  
I read this thread again and is it true that the M series Kubotas do not have HST? I am driving this big Cat 930G loader and besides the air conditioned cabin the F/N/R thumb switch on the bucket control is the nicest feature. I would hate to get a tractor that was at all difficult to go back and forth.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #6  
That is correct - they do not offer HST. The hydraulic shuttle is very smooth and you have a F-N-R lever to the left of the steering wheel. As long as you are in the right gear for the work you are doing, changing from F to R is a simple operation.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #7  
From personal experience (and I have a lot especially with 5030's), the 5030 will dissapoint you. It's not enough tractor for the ground you have. Get the 70 horse M or the TN. I went from a 5030 to an M9 and a 105S. I looked at a TN90 and I wasn't impressed. If you have steel hinges on your wallet, consider nothing other than JD. Green is the color of money. For me, orange is the color of an informed buyer.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #9  
I would agree, that a lot of acres on a L5030. I hay with my L5030HSTC just like Daryl used to. Sunday night I popped 650 bales out the JD 336 behind it in 2 hours no sweat but I can't pull a wagon behind my baler with the 5030.

Not enought suds on the slopes for me to be comfortable. I know it will do it because the pickup towing the wagon got stuck and I had to pull the baler, truck and fully loaded wagon up the hill but I don't like how hot the HST gets while doing this.

Our next tractor will likely be a M6800 or similar once we are done building our place. Its less manoverable but is more of the size needed for our property.

5030 said:
From personal experience (and I have a lot especially with 5030's), the 5030 will dissapoint you. It's not enough tractor for the ground you have. Get the 70 horse M or the TN. I went from a 5030 to an M9 and a 105S. I looked at a TN90 and I wasn't impressed. If you have steel hinges on your wallet, consider nothing other than JD. Green is the color of money. For me, orange is the color of an informed buyer.

/ L5030 vs new M or TN #10  
Thanks Neil.

Every once in a blue moon I come up with a good line. I still haven't had any luck with the front fenders for the M9 even though the 2006 Kubota calendar for this month has a 105 with them on it. I sent a message to Kubota some time ago and never got a reply. The company that makes the Deere fenders told me that Kubota does indeed sell fenders for my machine but for some reason I can't elicit a response.