Buying a Compact Tractor

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #1  

DWBLAKECLEAR

I am looking to purchase a compact tractor and have narrowed my choice to a Kubota B7610 or a John Deere 2320. Use of the tractor will be mowing, snow removal and materials moving (gravel, firewood, etc.). I can get either tractor for about the same price. I have not seen or tried the JD 2320 since the dealer has to order it. Having worked on an apple orchard for 11 yrs., I have experience with bigger tractors but not these newer compact models. Anyone have any thoughts on the Kubota or JD? I'm sure that I probably would be happy with either one. Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #2  
Go GREEN! Fit and finish are nicer. Deere loader & other front mounted attach ments remove easier. Deere loader control lever stays on the tractor. You will be happier with GREEN, it compliments your complextion.
I'm sure the ORANGE members will guide you too.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #3  
With the cost of equipment going higher every year, one of the best assets a tractor can have is a good dealer to back it up. I'm a Deere person, but, I have also come across not so good Deere dealers. Try and find people who have bought from each dealer and see if one stands out more than the other as being better for service after the sale. Most dealers are your "buddy" before the check is written, but not all of them are after the ink dries on the check. Shiney paint and the makers reputation only go so far when your broke down and the dealer doesn't have time for you. JMHO. Good luck in your choosing.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #4  
Ride both before buying. If you have to order the JD 2320 then go find a dealer or owner that you can try or at least sit on wiht the engine running. Around Eastern VA none of the dealers will get 2320s until this fall and when they get here will be list price. If your Kubota Dealer does not take at least 15% off the retail price go finds another dealer. My B7610 was 17% off list price.

Both will meet your needs. The JD 2320 has more features but since you have experience with larger tractors you may like the 3-point position of the JD over the 1/4" 3-point of the B7610.

If I could havev found a JD 2320 I would have looked closely at it. But since Deere had none inthe area it was of the list and I cold not wait until the fall. I went from over 8 hours cuttung grass on a JD LT155 wuith 38" deck to 2-1/2 hours with a rear discharge 5' finish mover and the new mower does a better job all around.

Mike

PS B7610 price $10,582, JD 2320 price found in forum $12,949 both with R4's
B7800 price $12,408. For that kind of money get a B2630 with more hp.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #5  
Yes, definitely find one to at least sit on. I was just about sold on a JD2520, but when I sat on it it was too small for me, I'm 6'3". The throttle lever hit my knee on one side and the loader joystick hit my thigh on the other. I ended up with a Massey 1531. With the smaller sized tractors ergonomics and fit become more important.

Mike

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #6  
Don't let color decide it for you. As several said, sit on them, ride them, play with the levers. Does it fit, is it awkward, crowded, comfortable, just right? A good dealer helps, but to me, is sometimes overrated. Some are better than others, but ultimately they're all in business to make money. Don't settle for good enough either, get what you want or best you can for your budget, if that's even an issue.
I was diehard Kubota, and they are great machines. I test drove a Massey Ferguson and now have a 1533 and am very happy with it. Let it be your choice, not the dealer's model he's pushing, or the color a group or majority of people prefer.

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #7  
I very much agree that you need to drive them and give thought to every aspect of your planned use. I had so much success with my first Kubota, I didn't even shop other brands for the second one. However, nothing helped me decide which model more than a few test drives and lots of time standing there evaluating the tractors up close.
Best wishes, Terry

/ Buying a Compact Tractor #8  
I have a 2320 on order now. I waited a long time to finally ge to see one at the local dealer. I was very impressed with it. It has more leg room than the similar sized 2520. They are starting to pop up here and there so start calling around to see if any dealers in your area have one. It a very nice machine.