Metal Body

/ Metal Body #31  
Say what you will about metal vs plastic I for one am not giving up the smooth looks that are possible with plastic hoods & fenders.

Attachments

• tc31.jpg
    tc31.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 94
   / Metal Body #32  
Egon said:
Can't confirm this but think it may have had to do with goverment regulated maximum piston diameter on engines for cars???
The reason was EPA and CAFE.

/ Metal Body #33  
PineRidge said:
Say what you will about metal vs plastic I for one am not giving up the smooth looks that are possible with plastic hoods & fenders.

And that may be one of the biggest reasons for proliferation of composite body materials. It can be formed into amazingly complex shapes much easier than steel, thus enabling styling to become a bigger part of the reason folks pick one tractor over another. Yeah, I know, you can do all kinds of things with sheet metal, but the composites allow compound curves and such with much less expense.

/ Metal Body #35  
daTeacha said:
And that may be one of the biggest reasons for proliferation of composite body materials. It can be formed into amazingly complex shapes much easier than steel, thus enabling styling to become a bigger part of the reason folks pick one tractor over another. Yeah, I know, you can do all kinds of things with sheet metal, but the composites allow compound curves and such with much less expense.

so the real reason the manufacturers use palstic on the tractors is so they can build them cheaper and have them look cooler ?

Me, I just want them to keep on going :)

/ Metal Body #36  
Those two let them sell more tractors, which is what the bottom line is all about.

/ Metal Body #37  
Way off topic but I was always told Chrysler had to destroy the molds for the big blocks as part of the Government bailout in the '70s. Ford's 460 has a slightly larger bore and more stroke so I don't think there were any bore limitations.

Rodger