Rental rates

/ Rental rates #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
Just got back from the Post Office. (Needed stamps) On the way back, I spotted a sign that wasn't there earlier today. We've got a new equipment rental place in town. I HAD to turn around and go see what they had. The place was already closed. Tomorrow I'm headed there to find out the rates.

OK. Here's what I saw. A BRAND SQUEEKING NEW New Holland TC33 w/loader, 18' to 20' bumper-pull trailer, 5' Harley rake, 5' box blade, 5' rear blade, post hole auger w/ assortment of augers, 5' KK tiller, 5' Bush Hog Squeeler, a couple Huskee (TSC) wood splitters, and evidence of someone using a chain saw.

Anyone care to guess what that sort of equipment rents for? Can one expect to re-coup their investment on that sort of equipment in a town of 7500 people? What would you expect to be the lifespan of that equipment WHEN USED BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE OWNER?

As soon as I find out what the rates are, I'll post here.

All the dealers here DON'T rent this sort of equipment. Some rental marts do, but only to contractors.

May be my big chance to play with a Harley rake!!!!!

/ Rental rates #2  
We have several equipment rental outfits and tractor dealers here who will rent equipment. A few months ago I rented an Allmond Bros (TYM?) TLB for $150 for 4 hours. Another dealer told me I could rent a NH tractor without a loader for $75 a day if I wanted that to use bigger implements, which they also rent. A neighbor said he paid $200 to the local Kubota dealer for a TLB. Not sure how long he rented it for. I doubt this rental equipment is maintained very well. The TLB I rented had every idiot light come on after using it only about 10 minutes. I called the rental outfit and all they said was, "Don't worry about it." Plus I'm sure it is abused. I had never run a backhoe before and although I don't think I did anything wrong to it, it is likely others have. After my experience I highly doubt I'd be willing to buy any used rental equipment. However, I can't justify the cost of buying a backhoe because I will never use one enough to cover the cost, so I'm glad they can be rented. Same with certain implements. If you only need one once or twice, it is cheaper to rent it.

/ Rental rates #3  
My neighbor rented a Terrex tractor (Model ???) with fel and boxblade for $400 a day. It was VERY heavy duty, much more so than my 55hp so I'm guessing it was in the 60+hp range. This is in So. Cal.

/ Rental rates #4  
rental companies around here will charge double the normal rate for an attachment if you don't get their tractor too. for example a tiller on a tractor rents for $50/day - without tractor it's $100/day. Most tractors with FEL are in the 28-32hp range and rent for about $150/day. If you want a B21 with a Backhoe they go for $200. Of course if you have a tractor and only need the backhoe, you can go with a ~4k lb mini-excavator for ~$180. landscaping rakes are $50/day as are box scrapers. Most places don't rent PHD that attach to tractors, they rent the one-man or two-man gas powered augers. I would like to find someone around here that rents an aerator/overseeder but alas haven't found one yet.

cheers,
bigballer

/ Rental rates #5  
According to health agencies' records, people are in the most danger of receiving bites from other humans on warm Saturday afternoons between 3 PM and 5 PM. ----Who studies these things????
Depending on where they get bit, maybe Dr. Ruth.

John

/ Rental rates #6  
New toy, the Federal government does these studies for no reason at all and guess who pays for it?

/ Rental rates #7  
Rental rates are all over the map compared to the "cost of new" - some I've recently priced:

$100+ per day for a $2,000 log splitter (in beat condition) :mad:
$120 for a MONTH of a $3,000 welder (Miller Dynasty):eek: :cool:
$900 for a week with a Volvo Full Size backhoe (BL60) $70K?:cool:
Add another $900 for the hydraulic demolition hammer $10K?:confused:

Here is the website of one local place Taylor rental with prices.

The brand spanking new volvo rents doesn't publish prices - you have to call & ask. I wanted them to fax me a price list, but they wouldn't. I've found that the weekly rental rate is about 3x the daily rate (except at the Home Depot where it is more). Drop off/ Pick up delivery charges vary according to who you talk to - 1 guy $150 for the hoe, next guy $60:confused: We're talking 1 town over...

I've got the volvo hoe reserved for Sep 22 for the week - going to take out my pool. I'm like a kid who can't sleep on Christmas eve - I drive by the rental facility on the way home from work every day:(