405A Belarus

/ 405A Belarus #1  

KMB

Would like some input on a 405A Belarus -- anyone know anything about them -- good, bad, ugly. What is one in good condition worth?

/ 405A Belarus #2  
The first question I would be asking is parts support available? There are many of those in the states, but I don't think theyare being imported any longer. I believe in upper New York state there is a dealer who still handles them, in addition to a Belarus boneyard.

/ 405A Belarus #3  
Their pretty decent tractors but like was said above parts may be sort of an issue. I know parts are still available but you just gotta know where to look. I'm not sure what it would be worth. Am I correct in thinking it a 2-wd with a cab? does it have a loader? Hours? I'm gonna say maybe $4000-$5000.

/ 405A Belarus
Thanks -- It is 2-Wheel Drive & has a cab. Also, it is air cooled. Figured someone out there had had some experience with one since they are such a large manufacturer world-wide.

/ 405A Belarus #5  
Just my $0.02 worth...
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I once heard it said, "If you buy a Belarus, you'll always have a Belarus". Meaning, you'll never be able to get rid of it.
Unless you have a solid source for parts, are maybe willing to work on it yourself, and havei little or no intenton of selling or "trading up", I'd pass on it regardless of price.

/ 405A Belarus #6  
Ralph, I'm generally reluctant to say anything bad about a particular brand because I know there are people happy with that brand as well as some not so happy. However, we used to have a Kubota dealer who also sold Belarus. The new Belarus tractors were priced at about half what a comparably sized "big 3" brand would cost, and that dealer sold quite a few of them before dropping the Belarus line. And I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head. I met a few Belarus owners and never met one who wasn't trying to figure out how to get rid of it. So I'd say it's "caveat emptor".

/ 405A Belarus
Thanks for the info -- You've definately helped me make up my mind and probably saved me a lot of grief down the road. Ken

/ 405A Belarus #8  
Bird,
My experience mirrors yours. A locally owned small motor dealer (lawn mowers, chain saws, repair, etc) picked up the Belarus line about 15 years ago and ditched it about five or six years later. I think, in that time, he probalby sold less than a dozen of those tractors in our area. I still see one or two from time to time but never running. Parts and repair seem to be the problem.

Bird said:
Ralph, I'm generally reluctant to say anything bad about a particular brand because I know there are people happy with that brand as well as some not so happy. However, we used to have a Kubota dealer who also sold Belarus. The new Belarus tractors were priced at about half what a comparably sized "big 3" brand would cost, and that dealer sold quite a few of them before dropping the Belarus line. And I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head. I met a few Belarus owners and never met one who wasn't trying to figure out how to get rid of it. So I'd say it's "caveat emptor".

/ 405A Belarus #9  
Here's my $.02. I bought a Belarus 572 in 1992 with loader for $12,500 delivered. At the time many tractor owners advised against it. 665 hours of touble free operation later I can say I got a great deal. That's not to say that some of the points brought up on this thread aren't valid. Particularly the point about resale value. But I never thought resale value was a serious consideration on a $12,500 tractor when all the competition tractors were generally at least twice the price. Parts are still available from a variety of dealers. You can find out more if you call Belarus International in Milwaukee. You can also talk to Belarus Canada for thier dealers http://www.belarus.ca/links/index.htm

I get all my parts from Lubiniecki Welding & Equipment Meadville PA 814-336-3553. You will have to do your own repairs unless you find a mechanic who will do the work for you.

Good luck!

/ 405A Belarus #10  
n4807g said:
You will have to do your own repairs unless you find a mechanic who will do the work for you.

Good luck!

That is what completely stopped me from my foray into buying off brand equipment based on shear price alone. First off, I never had even remotely good service from the stuff I bought and, worst of all, if I ever did manage to find parts, no respectable mechanic would touch it. I have long since passed the point where I have time to chase parts for weeks on end hoping to find that one particular elusive part, and then have to turn all my own wrenches.