Brand Loyalty

/ Brand Loyalty #21  
My father was also an Allis Chalmers dealer for 40 plus years (1946 to ???). Many great memories. I have four in my collection (WC, WD45, D14 and 620) and plan to add more. My farm rentors have many: 9815, 4W305, 8550, 8070, 8050,7080, 7060, 7020, 7000, 200, 190XT III, 2-180, 6040 and probably more that I have not seen. Gleaner R62 combine as well.

OrangeGuy

/ Brand Loyalty #22  
In the event that a brand war breaks out... drop me a PM and I'll let you know what the best brand is. It was Kubota, since I had one - currently it is Ford/New Holland since I have a Ford. Subject to change though. : )

/ Brand Loyalty #23  
We own a bunch of John Deere stuff but in my family, it is my wife that is the brand nazi. She'll consider any tractor purchase, as long as it is green!

It's getting a lot harder lately though. I am not familiar with other brands but Deere, Kubota, New Holland and Case are all turning out really nice machines lately. It's just a matter of personal preferance, needs and features/price balance for each machine purchase. The bright red of the Case was a little hard to take though, not sure I could take a full day of that, out in the field though!

/ Brand Loyalty #24  
jcmseven said:
I will say (John Deere) that to my knowledge (John Deere) there is very little bias (John Deere) in most of the posts. While I do realize we have to (John Deere) be careful about being brand loyal in the general forums, most of the posters (John Deere) have proven to be most (John Deere) sensitive about these issues. Truth is (John Deere) many companies make good machines, and to (John Deere) promote one brand as being notably good (John Deere) would not be fair or realistic. Perhaps we comment most (John Deere) about the brand with which we have the most experience (John Deere) and sometimes that could be construed as favoritism. I for one would never do such a thing.

John (Deere) M.

now that is funny :)

/ Brand Loyalty #25  
VistanTN said:
I'm a new member so some of you may feel I have no right to comment, but consider this a somewhat independent view. In a few (very few) threads I have viewed, brand loyalty has become mostly negative jabs (little fact, just trash talk) about another brand or brands. I think that is counter productive to the spirit, intent, and preponderance of what is here. That is not to say that negative comments (based on facts, including likes and dislikes expressed as such) are not desirable. I would only ask that we all keep in mind that the "perfect" tractor/implement is the one you can afford, that does all of what you want as well and as fast as you want it, and is reasonably reliable. That comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names. Similarly, the "worst" tractor/implement is the one you can't afford, doesn't do what you want, or is unreliable. That also comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names.

Just so you know -- I probably bleed Persian Orange #2, but the only Allis I own is a Hinomoto labelled as an A-C 5020. I also own two JD products, one Mahindra, and two IH, plus an assortment of equipment that looks like a listing of the major manufacturers. Everything I have works for me -- it all has limits -- and it all would be wrong for many of you.

That said, I love this board -- for all the good exchange of information and ideas that it shares. OK, I'm off my soapbox.
G. Carlson
Wartrace (that's War-Trace, not Wart-Race), TN
Chief ranch hand on the WRR (wife-run ranch)

Just to be on the safe side, I currently own a Case-IH DX29, a Kubota 3710 and JD 5300. I have owned a Ford 9N, kubota 7100, and 2 previous Allis-Chalmers D-15 and D-19. I farm with my brother and he has IH 1066, IH 806, Case IH 8950, Farmal M, IH 560 and a Kubota 7100. I am not a tractor bigot.:D I will soon be trading the 3710 for a JD 3720 W/ cab. Good golly, I didn't believe we had so many tractors. We farm in different counties. Some get used much more than others. Everyone has there favorites and dislikes. Same as Ford vs. chevy vs. dodge. Honda vs. yamaha vs. kawasaki etc. By the way, I have never owned a chevy or dodge. LOL.

/ Brand Loyalty #26  
I don't own my favorite brand of tractor. I will in a few years when it's paid for.

I'm sure it'll be like my pickup. The longer it's paid for the more it becomes my favorite brand.

I would like to favor some new stuff, maybe a different brand. But it's less paid for than my stuff I have, which tends to make me favor the brands I have more than the unpaid for brands.

Am I showing favoritism or brand loyalty?

/ Brand Loyalty
I think things are getting a little off my original point -- which was not that brand loyalty is bad -- or even that opinions about what you like and dislike about tractors you own, have owned, or have tried and decided not to buy. I was only put off by what could only be described as trash-talk name calling. I think we all want to hear pro's and con's -- and have plenty of our own to offer.

For example, for me John Deere is pretty expensive. It's generally great equipment, but in many areas I think I can get a better bang for my buck. That's a valid statement of an opinion. On the other hand, I could say, all JD equipment is over-priced, they're just selling their name, and anyone who sells it is just out to gyp the buyer. That's jumping to some conclusions about JD and their dealers that is based on emotion, not fact. I don't think that is very useful.

VistanTN

/ Brand Loyalty #28  
VistanTN said:
I think things are getting a little off my original point -- which was not that brand loyalty is bad -- or even that opinions about what you like and dislike about tractors you own, have owned, or have tried and decided not to buy. I was only put off by what could only be described as trash-talk name calling. I think we all want to hear pro's and con's -- and have plenty of our own to offer.
VistanTN

I think most folks here agree that the brand of machinery or tractor chosen should fit the individual. There are good and bad models within all brands, as well as some brands with their specific problems and their specific upsides. It is ultimately up to the buyer/owner to decide what they like best.

TBN is a good board, but there will be trash-talking and bashing to some degree in any forum such as this. Is it good? I don't know, but at least people are free to express within reason it seems. I can read it or not, but I won't post it.

/ Brand Loyalty #29  
I bought NH blue. I personally think they are like cars. About all are good and once in a while you can get a lemon in any of them. I bought NH because I got what I thought was a very good deal. That said, I didn't know that in two months the dealer would go out of business. The dealer that I now deal with is very good, and has bent over backwards to help when I needed it. Close to me are the orange and two kinds of greens. All are good and the dealers seem to be very nice all have GOOD equipment. I put a lot in getting a good dealer. Get a bad dealer and no matter what you have you may wish you had bought elsewhere. That said, I think that in gentlemanly fashion one may be critical. Again, I love what I bought, but I personally think that the one I bought has weaknesses in certain areas, namely electrical.

/ Brand Loyalty #30  
I think a lot of model pricing is dealer dependent. I am loyal to John Deere for the same reason others might be loyal to another brand. That is, it meets the owner's needs and he/she has good dealer support and good operator satisfaction. I have an excellent dealer and when all was said, he met the price I had gotten for equivalent machines of other makes. I do agree John Deere does not make the best machine in all classes of tractors, but across all product lines they are consistently among the top. I actually see the contrary of Vistan's original point, and that is John Deere is not competitively priced. Many who do NOT own them in our area do not because they never actually priced one, because they thought they would be too expensive. Not to say if one likes NH or Kubota or other brand he/she should not get that brand, but that JD is close in price in many cases and at least in compact line, has features not seen on other machines, LoadMatch for example. That is worth something to me. For others, the SuperSteer might sell them; for yet others it might be the company made engines in Kubota. This is my thought on the matter, and as for brand, I would not be loyal if I had now not been a satisfied customer times seven. So with regard to our original point, I think there is a degree of brand loyalty in the forum. For the most part it is not blind, but based on good experience with certain brands. To me, this is not a bad thing. Totally objective data would be a spec sheet comparison.

John M