Brand Loyalty

/ Brand Loyalty #1  

VistanTN

Silver Member
middle TN, closest to Beechgrove, then Bell Buckle
Tractor
A-C 5020-4, Mahindra 6500 4WD, Kubota L4740 HSTC 4WD
I'm a new member so some of you may feel I have no right to comment, but consider this a somewhat independent view. In a few (very few) threads I have viewed, brand loyalty has become mostly negative jabs (little fact, just trash talk) about another brand or brands. I think that is counter productive to the spirit, intent, and preponderance of what is here. That is not to say that negative comments (based on facts, including likes and dislikes expressed as such) are not desirable. I would only ask that we all keep in mind that the "perfect" tractor/implement is the one you can afford, that does all of what you want as well and as fast as you want it, and is reasonably reliable. That comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names. Similarly, the "worst" tractor/implement is the one you can't afford, doesn't do what you want, or is unreliable. That also comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names.

Just so you know -- I probably bleed Persian Orange #2, but the only Allis I own is a Hinomoto labelled as an A-C 5020. I also own two JD products, one Mahindra, and two IH, plus an assortment of equipment that looks like a listing of the major manufacturers. Everything I have works for me -- it all has limits -- and it all would be wrong for many of you.

That said, I love this board -- for all the good exchange of information and ideas that it shares. OK, I'm off my soapbox.
G. Carlson
Wartrace (that's War-Trace, not Wart-Race), TN
Chief ranch hand on the WRR (wife-run ranch)

/ Brand Loyalty #2  
Hi, VistanTN. Good post. This happens on other forums I belong to [snowmobile, diesel] and some tolerate it ,and some have no bashing and free for all forums. I haven't noticed it too bad on here. I have friends who run different brands then I do, but all is good. plowking

/ Brand Loyalty #4  
VistanTN said:
I would only ask that we all keep in mind that the "perfect" tractor/implement is the one you can afford, that does all of what you want as well and as fast as you want it, and is reasonably reliable. That comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names. Similarly, the "worst" tractor/implement is the one you can't afford, doesn't do what you want, or is unreliable. That also comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names.

Hear hear! Yep, best tractor is the one that does the job. I had a chance to use a sweet Montana 4944 with HST. I mean that thing is sweet (thanks onsight). I own and run a NH TN70A. It is as different from the Montana as green is from blue. I love the NH, I also love the Montana. I wish I could have both. Maybe in my next life?
Bob

/ Brand Loyalty #5  
Doc_Bob said:
Hear hear! Yep, best tractor is the one that does the job. I had a chance to use a sweet Montana 4944 with HST. I mean that thing is sweet (thanks onsight). I own and run a NH TN70A. It is as different from the Montana as green is from blue. I love the NH, I also love the Montana. I wish I could have both. Maybe in my next life?
Bob

Yep, them flyboys always want more!!! :) I'm like Bob, if I had my way I would own one of each!!! I'm a jeep freak and own 8 of them. My wife and I now own two tractors, one green, one orange. She, being the vocal one, will tell you straight up the positives and negatives of each!!!

I admit reading "problem" threads, but hopefully I've never flamed someone's brand. I read them to educate myself on the different strengths and weaknesses of the various brands. You can quickly scan the threads in each category and learn those just by the subject line.

If I am asked about a tractor I own, I will honestly tell you my opinion of it's issues, and everyone should understand, that's just what it is, my OPINION. :)

/ Brand Loyalty #6  
Mornin George,
Welcome to TBN !:) You have made some very astute observations for someone who has been here a very short time :) Certainly those observations are by no means off base ! With a group comprised with as many different indiviguals as TBN, could you hope to have any other output of views from such a diverse group ?

Let me end by saying that I dont believe there is such a thing as a bad tractor !:) I own three and would love to have more but my wife doesnt share my enthusiasm :confused: If that tractor you own is what you can afford and it does the work that you want it to, then it has accomplished its mission !

/ Brand Loyalty #7  
I dont see how you can be "brand loyal" these days.

I remember being a kid and at my uncles house up in the Quad Cities IL (were Deere is made, well at least some of it still) and remember the conversations about who is driveing what color tractor.

but in todays world of banrupcies and mergers what is my tractor i drive?

it says new holland on the front and is blue, but theres a CaseIH one that is exactly the same but red. Then theres a green Montana version of it also!

so tell me what is it? Case? IH? Ford? NewHolland?

On top of that Kubota and Deere share the same Yanmar desiel engine no?

so for me it came down to which tractor had the features i wanted and I felt would beinfit me the most. NO brand loality hear :D

/ Brand Loyalty #8  
VistanTN said:
I'm a new member so some of you may feel I have no right to comment, but consider this a somewhat independent view. In a few (very few) threads I have viewed, brand loyalty has become mostly negative jabs (little fact, just trash talk) about another brand or brands. I think that is counter productive to the spirit, intent, and preponderance of what is here. That is not to say that negative comments (based on facts, including likes and dislikes expressed as such) are not desirable. I would only ask that we all keep in mind that the "perfect" tractor/implement is the one you can afford, that does all of what you want as well and as fast as you want it, and is reasonably reliable. That comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names. Similarly, the "worst" tractor/implement is the one you can't afford, doesn't do what you want, or is unreliable. That also comes in a wide range of colors, ages, sizes, and names.

Just so you know -- I probably bleed Persian Orange #2, but the only Allis I own is a Hinomoto labelled as an A-C 5020. I also own two JD products, one Mahindra, and two IH, plus an assortment of equipment that looks like a listing of the major manufacturers. Everything I have works for me -- it all has limits -- and it all would be wrong for many of you.

That said, I love this board -- for all the good exchange of information and ideas that it shares. OK, I'm off my soapbox.
G. Carlson
Wartrace (that's War-Trace, not Wart-Race), TN
Chief ranch hand on the WRR (wife-run ranch)

I've got 3 brands in my "fleet". One PARTICULAR TRACTOR is my favorite, and I'll go to my grave believing it is/was the best of its size in its day. That said, I don't try to contend its BRAND is/was the best. Another of my tractors was built by the brand that has the BIGGEST REPUTATION for being #1 in quality. I've had as much, but no more trouble with it as any other tractor, model or brand, I've owned. #3 is a replacement for another tractor of the same brand that wore out after 32 years of abuse. (Same model, same brand) The replacement is begining to prove itself far more trouble than the one it replaced, even with 1/5th the total hours on the clock.

My point is, good tractors and bad tractors have less to do with brand and color as with model and care. They're all nice when new. But they don't stay new for long. It's when there's a few thousand hours on the meter that you can start to judge "good or bad".

Every brand has it's success stories. Every brand has its failures. To say one brand, across the board, is "the best" is ridiculous. To say Brand X's model 123321 is THEIR best, and a better buy than BRand Y's model 789987 is not out of line, IF that opinion is backed with real world, hands on comparison, and NOT "My brand is better than your brand" trash talking.

/ Brand Loyalty #9  
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but the only problem with your statement is that sometimes #1 does not allow #2, #3 or #4?
the "perfect" tractor/implement is the one you can afford, that does all of what you want as well and as fast as you want it, and is reasonably reliable.
To me, there's a whole bunch of difference between what you can afford and you "want", hence those requirements are not necessarily...may not be realistic to meet?

Although your point is well taken, I see you do have several tractors. So accepting what each one does has to be relatively easier, with the option of jumping on another one to perform a different task it might do better...although I don't know that to be the case, of course...just thinking here out loud what I'd do if I had several tractors...

I've only got one tractor and it's my favorite.
Mine is was what I could afford,
I accept what I can do with it.
I accept the speed at which it does things.
And it is reasonably reliable.

And yes, there's no need for tractor bashing.

/ Brand Loyalty #10  
3RRL said:
I've only got one tractor and it's my favorite.
Mine is was what I could afford,
I accept what I can do with it.
I accept the speed at which it does things.
And it is reasonably reliable.

Well said.