New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #21  
benji:
Welcome to TBN :)! I hate to complicate your tractor research but I suggest you look at the NH's Class II "Boomers". The TC29DA which is now theTC31DA "specs out" ~ close to the L3400 (less power and lift capacity, higher hydraulic capacities, similiar dimensions except slightly wider and heavier with filled tires). I brush hog ~7 - 8 A's of rough and steep :eek: hill with a 5' rotary cutter with no difficulty. I mange my 12+ A's with this tractor and a White 1650 Rider Mower. For once I am trying to save a TBN member some money :rolleyes:. Jay

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #22  
MessickFarmEqu said:
The L3400 does have a shuttle, but its not a traditional one. Instead of being up on the dash its over on the side since it also does the high-low. It is a shuttle and can be driven as such.

Question: on this type of trans, does reversing direction require a change of gear ratio? Is it straight line from forward to reverse or is it a dog leg move. The main advantage of a shuttle is to go forward and backward at same speed with a simple straight line shift. I have heard of Kubota's "Semi shuttle" but not seen one in person and I am curious. I have seen tractors with H-L-R on one lever and have assumed that is what these have. Thanks

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #23  
Why limit to just the big 3? What about Mahindra, Branson, Kioti, MF, or Tym? These guys make fine machines too. I looked at them all. Bought a Kioti cause I thought it was the "best" for my purposes and budget. If I had unlimited funds, it would have been a JD, hands down.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990
i'm sticking with the big 3 because they are around here. I'm probably getting the kubota based on what i've seen so far. if there were other dealers nearby i'd check out more brands, but that isn't the case.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #25  
I'd suggest looking at the 4400 as well if you are looking at gear drive tractors. I got mine for about $19,000 with loader. It is bare bones, except that it has a cup holder. But its got loads of power. I'd say it compares with the JD 990 but just has slightly better specs all the way around and the Kubota has better ergonomics. The engine in the 990 is a Yanmar so it isn't pure Deere.

For little tractors this size and weight I would highly recommend 4wd.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #26  
I'd suggest looking at the 4400 as well if you are looking at gear drive tractors. I got mine for about $19,000 with loader. It is bare bones, except that it has a cup holder. But its got loads of power. I'd say it compares with the JD 990 but just has slightly better specs all the way around and the Kubota has better ergonomics. The engine in the 990 is a Yanmar so it isn't pure Deere.

For little tractors this size and weight I would highly recommend 4wd.

I have a JD 990 with a snapped rear drive stub axle. 57 hrs on the machine. It was not doing anything exceptionally demanding when the axle snapped. Two weeks at the dealers so far and waiting for the right part. I am thinking about getting rid of it.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #27  
Randy, I do feel like my NH does have way to rough of a ride compared to other tractors I tried. It is the only thing I don't like about it. I think a better suspention system for the seat would help.

Not sure on the TC35 but my DX45 has an adjustment on the seat to increase or decrease the spring suspension. May have just needed adjusted.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #28  
I have a JD 990 with a snapped rear drive stub axle. 57 hrs on the machine. It was not doing anything exceptionally demanding when the axle snapped. Two weeks at the dealers so far and waiting for the right part. I am thinking about getting rid of it.

Things like that can happen. I don't think there is anything inherent in the 990 that would cause that. Probably just a freak defect. There was a post a while back about a new L4400 that cracked the rear axle case. Just one of those things.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #29  
Question: on this type of trans, does reversing direction require a change of gear ratio? Is it straight line from forward to reverse or is it a dog leg move. The main advantage of a shuttle is to go forward and backward at same speed with a simple straight line shift. I have heard of Kubota's "Semi shuttle" but not seen one in person and I am curious. I have seen tractors with H-L-R on one lever and have assumed that is what these have. Thanks

Bluechip -

I tried out a Kubota and it had a four speed transmission on the center hump and the range shift on the left of the seat. The range shift was an H pattern, where low and reverse were inline on the right side of the pattern. To shift to high, your brought the lever to neutral, pushed to the left and forward. So essentially its shifted like a shuttle shift from Low to Reverse and vice versa. It can be "shuttled" in any of the four gears. Unlike true shuttle transmissions, the dealer told me that the operator must clutch and fully stop before shifting. So while the gear change is similar to a shuttle, it doesn't have the "shift on the fly" like clutchless shuttles. But still better than the collar shift like my 770.