New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #1  

benji

I am going to purchase a tractor to maintain my property. I have 8 acres of mostly fields, rolling hills, a 1/2 acre pond, about 2 acres of woods. I want to keep about 5 acres of fields looking nice with a bush-hog, and mow the other 3 acres with my JD lawn mower or a finish mower for the tractor (haven't decided yet). I also want to use a FEL to move around some rocks, firewood, trees, etc. My stepfather has been bush-hogging for me with his John Deere 990. He used to have a JD 790 but thought it was too small for the job. I'm comparing the New Holland TC 35A with a Kubota L3400 and JD 990. I sat on the New Holland and really liked the layout, comfort, etc. I liked the shuttle shift. I'm going to get the tractor, 6' bushhog, FEL, and possibly a finish mower. The price I got for NH was 15,600 for the tractor itself plus taxes and implements.
Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to any of these three tractors? I think going to stay with a gear drive, I think I need 4wd, but this will be my first tractor. I'm going to visit the JD and Kubota dealerships soon.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #2  
Does that $15,600 include the FEL on the New Holland?

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #3  
Just a quick two cents...The tractor I've been renting the last year is a Kubota L3400. I've really put it through a lot (NEVER buy a used rental) and been impressed with how sturdy and strong it is. The rental guy says they use Kubotas because they take abuse the best.

I've also borrowed a neighbor's NH TC40 and really like the design, ergonomics, and performance. The only negative I can report is that it was really rough riding through the pasture with a loader and 6' bushhog. I've since been told that this is common to the Boomer series of tractors.

Can't report on the 990 except for about the same price you can get a lot more tractor in the JD 5103. Happy tractor shopping.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #4  
CWP37 said:
I've also borrowed a neighbor's NH TC40 and really like the design, ergonomics, and performance. The only negative I can report is that it was really rough riding through the pasture with a loader and 6' bushhog. I've since been told that this is common to the Boomer series of tractors.

Please explain to me how 2 tractors with no suspension & close to the same weight, with the same size tires & even air pressure in both tires and have one ride better then the other... You don't. It's just a statement someone made that just couldn't find any other dislikes in a tractor no matter what brand. I've seen the videos manufactures make showing off their equipment against other manufactures. They are never 2 tractors in the same size/class and weights. :rolleyes:

I've ridden the Kubota , JD and NH all close to the same size and close to the same weight and ALL rode the same, ROUGH! LOL :D

Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990
the 15,600 was tractor only, nothing added. i want to go drive them all around the lots and see what i think. i might just wait until it gets colder outside before i purchase anything. i don't know if it's true or not, but it seems to me that i'd get a better deal in the dead of winter. the nh dealer also has this
for 14,200. my dad loved it. would I really miss 4wd? he thinks i should try them all out and see what happens, but he loves his JD 990. I'm really curious to see how much the Kubota L3400 is. Are all three of these about the same, quality wise? I just don't see how one could be crappy or anything like that. The NH dealer was really nice, close, and helpful. We'll see how the Kubota and JD guys do. There's also a Montana dealer across from where I work, but the people there didn't seem to know much about tractors or seem to care about selling them. Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #6  
4wd can definitely help with a loader. If you have hills or snow I would go with 4wd, that isn't something you'll regret. It can also be helpful with ground engaging implements like box blades, rototillers and discs.

You are right to drive all the tractors and see if one feels better to you than the others. Maybe you can even get the dealers to bring those models to your property so you can demo them where you will be using them.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #7  
WOW $15,600 for a TC35A without a loader. That's WAY to high. Online quote from Corriher New Holland for a bare TC35A is $13,900 I gave $14,000 for mine just 4 months ago.

I can say if you are a tall person the New Hollands will fit you better. They have more leg room.
Are all three of these about the same, quality wise
I would say they are when it comes to quality wise. Picking a good dealer is another choice that needs to be made no matter the brand. More so one that will be around 10 years or more down the road.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990
i got an email quote from corriher yesterday for 15,050. i asked about demo-ing tractors, and it doesn't seem like people do that around here. i figured i should get the 4wd, but i didn't know for sure. a guy i work with says he's never had a 4wd tractor or any need for one. i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. i think that tt60 seems like a lot more tractor than the tc35.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #9  
I can't speak for the New Holland or the John Deere but if you get the Kubota all you need the dealer for is to pick up your new tractor and shoot the bull.

/ New Holland TC 35A vs. Kubota L3400 vs. John Deere 990 #10  
The ergonomics are definitely superior on the TC35A vs. the L3400 and that is real important if you are going to be spending the time you will be spending on the tractor.