magnatrac 4800

/ magnatrac 4800 #1  

200buster

Hi, I'm just about to purchase a Struck Magnatrac 4800 with a backhoe and loader and I have a few questions.

My property is in the California Santa Cruz mountains and the soil goes from soft sand to a very hard packed clay and the slope can be as much as 1' rise for every 2' of travel. My biggest concern is to learn how to terrace my property without killing myself in the process. Do any of you pros in my area out there ever take jobs where you use the customer's tractor and teach them to operate it? Beyond knowing how to operate the tractor (on a flat) the real lack of knowledge for me is how to go about planning the terrace of a hillside. I can imagine the end-result but I'm not sure how to get there and do it safely.

Also I was wondering why I see diesel versions (the 6000) yet Struck doesn't seem to offer any diesel versions anymore. The 4800 and 7000 are both gas powered. Does anyone know why Struck no longer offers diesel tractors?

/ magnatrac 4800 #2  
I don't know anything about Struck equipment. I will, however, tell you what I have learned about tractors and slopes. Go straight up and down, never sideways, never at a diagonal. Go slow. You may not see a rut or bump before you are in it. Always be prepared to stop and drop your loader down. If something seems dangerous, stop and see if there is a better way to do it. Or don't do it at all. No job is worth your life. There are plenty of experienced people on TBN that can advise you better about slopes. Do a search on here. There is a current thread in owning/operating about hills.

/ magnatrac 4800
Thank you roxynoodle, that sounds like excellent advice to never go anything but straight up and down. Your advice is very appreciated. I will search more on the topic.