New pull tractor?

/ New pull tractor? #1  

Dave-J

I've worn out my '92 Kubota L4350 47.5 Hp.wo/loader .I've spent way too much on repairs in the last 3 years. I have a horse ranch and use this tractor for harrowing arenas. I have 2 arenas that are dirt and need digging up, the other 2 arenas are sand with a base and are really easy to maintain. The Kubota is a little bit small for the digging. When I put the harrow on my old Massey 30B w/loader(48HP) it digs just fine, extra weight I'm guessing. So I'm thinking simple:bare bones 2WD JD 5303(64HP) or 5304(74HP) with 600lbs of weights on the front. Any opinions?
Dave

/ New pull tractor? #2  
Dave-J ...So I'm thinking simple:bare bones 2WD JD 5303(64HP) or 5304(74HP) with 600lbs of weights on the front. Any opinions? Dave[/QUOTE said:
Since you're going with 2wd, I wouldn't waste the $$ on the 74HP, go with the 64hp as no matter how much weight you pile on it, you'll still lose traction before your stall your engine. Mind you, I make this statement as you did not mention any PTO work, only ground engaging....Good luck with your choice, that Deere is a good all around size tractor. BobG in VA

/ New pull tractor? #3  
I would second the advice to go with the 5303. I purchased one about a week ago and was looking at a 5403 with the 10 extra hp. There is about 3000 difference in the price and it is the same tractor except the fuel is turned up apparently to get the extra hp. It even has the same size rear tires. The dealer said that he doesn't think they will see many of them at that price! I think that price is getting close in the price of a bare bones 25 series that is heavier and has more options.

/ New pull tractor? #4  
Dave-J said:
I've worn out my '92 Kubota L4350 47.5 Hp.wo/loader .

Dave, I can't really help at all, but I would be curious to know how many hours you have on your L4350.

We always hear opinions on how long these CUTs are supposed to last...I guess 14 years may be a reasonable amount of time...I'm kind of hoping for 20+ at about 200 hours or less per year...on my smaller B2910 Kubota (smaller than yours, bigger than my other one...):)

/ New pull tractor?
Henro
Lots, the hour meter cable was broken for a few years but I'm guessing 300hrs per year. I rebuilt the engine 2 years ago, the hydraulic pump went out 1 year ago & its still in the shop after the timing gear broke & bent all the push rods. This tractor was used hard over the years I used to have to dig up 4 arenas every day & I could have maintained it better, anyway time for a new tractor!
Dave

/ New pull tractor? #6  
This is probably acid in the ears of a Deere man, but you might want to look at a Mahindra. I have a 6500 4WD that I absolutely love and since what you need is weight and traction Mahindra makes some of the heaviest tractors in each class. Course a LOT depends on if you have a good dealer nearby. BTW the old Massey's were known to be pulling sons-o-guns. My neighbor in FL had a Massey 35 with turf tires that even with those slicks could outpull anything of comparable HP unless it was on wet grass over hard pack.

VistanTN