Comparable Tractors for JD 3320

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #1  

JimParker

Bronze Member
Farmersville, TX (~50 Miles NE of Dallas)
Tractor
John Deere 3320 eHydro
Guys, I have been lurking, reading, and generally educating myself. I'm reasonably familiar with the John Deere line (I think my wife bleeds green), but I have a much harder time making sense of the other manufacturer's websites.

We're purchasing 10 acres, mostly sloping (terraced) pasture with some scattered trees. Given all that we want to do, we've narrowed down our selection within the JD line to either the 3120 or 3320 (3120 would work, but it's only $300 more to get the 3320, so I'm leaning heavily in that direction).

I'm planning to keep the JD lawn tractor for close-up mowing around the house and "yard" area, so the CUT will be doing mostly mowing (72" MMM), FEL work, and some gravel road maintenance (60" BB). I think I can borrow a brush hog from a neighbor to make the first pass at the 4-foot high coastal grass, but once it's cleaned up, I figure I can keep it down to a reasonable level with the MMM. (Eventually we'll have some cows and horses to help with that.)

Before I go start settle down on the JD 3320, I feel like I should compare to a comparable Kubota, New Holland, and perhaps Massey.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased towards the JD line, not for the "usual" reasons, but because I love ergonomics - especially the e-hydro foot pedal arrangement. I have a bad ankle, and it's really hard to raise my heel as it looks like I would have to do on the Kubota and NH. (I've never seen a "live" Massey, but I've read good things on this forum. Does it also have the "rocker" pedal for the hydro?)

So my question for the group is: Which models of these other brands are most comparable to the 3320? Thanks for your feedback!

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #2  
JimParker:

Welcome to TBN :)! I have a seriously rebuilt right ankle. After a long rehabilitation period I finally have full range of motion and I find that my NH TC29DA's rocker pedal does not put excessive strain on my ankle. I also like the ergonomics on this tractor that accomodate my aging, increasingly wide body frame. I suggest you test drive the newer NH TC series of tractors, I believe that the TC29DA has been upgraded to the TC31DA but I am not certain. The TC29 has "specs" are comparable/competitive to the 3120. The reason I replied to this post is a word of caution as to using a MMM to mow sloping pasture. The MMM would seriously reduce your ground clearance which you may need. I suggest that you look at rear mounted rotary cutters and/or rear finish mowers as they are easier to attach/detach, they allow for more cutting height variation, and they do not compromise ground clearance if that is a concern. Above all test drive tractors of interest, and just as important talk to dealerships to get a "feel" for the dealer. A good dealer is a valuable resource. Keep the questions coming, the TBN community has extensive experience and "wisdom"; but more importantly we love to help you spend your hard earned money as well as provide you the necessary "justifications" to explain your purchases to the "comptroller"/"She Who Must Be Obeyed" ;). Jay

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #3  
Well, Kubota's website uses their L3130 to campare to the NH TC29-DA and the JD 3320. Take it for what it's worth. I did test drive one of the grand-L series with an HST transmission and was very impressed with how easy the pedal was to operate.

CR

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #4  
I just built a JD 3320 with HST, MMM, and FEL on their website (real cool feature). It came out to over $26,000 with no other accesories or add-ons and that does not include setup, delivery, sales tax, etc...

If there are any Kioti dealers around you, take a look at the Kioti CK30, for $26,000 I bet you can get a BH too! I can't say enough good things about my Kioti. The JD's just seemed too overpriced for a comparable tractor. The Kioti also has a 4 year parts and labor warranty.

Good Luck !

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #5  
If you go on the JD website they have a comparison button and give several tractors and their sats. Remember it is set up by JD and may be bias. I bought a JD3520 last year with loader, hog, post hole digger, and rear blade and spent $23,500 I believe (not at home so I don't have the exact numbers). I was comparing the JD3520 with a NH 35 hp tractor with their comparison button. When I saw the the two tractors in person the New Holland tractor was much larger. I say all of this to let you know nothing beats a side-by-side comparison

Just food for thought.

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #6  
JimParker said:
either the 3120 or 3320 (3120 would work, but it's only $300 more to get the 3320, so I'm leaning heavily in that direction).

Hello, I'm not qualified to comment on anything but the Deere as I don't own any other brand so I can't tell you but I can tell you that price was a big consideration for me. Locally, the kubota and new holland dealers weren't interested in dealing too much and for what they were offering, pricewise vs. product capability, it was a no brainer to go with the Deere 3120 which has exceeded my expectations. I looked at both the Kubota line as well as the New Holland line in person. There were many factors before I made the decision and I won't go into them here as I tend to get fairly long winded. But suffice it to say that after comparing everything, I felt that that the 3120 was the best choice for me.

As for the price of the 3320 being only $300 more than the 3120, that is not entirely correct. The 3120 comes standard with eHydro transmission while the 3320 comes standard with gear transmission. The eHydro transmission option is $825. I'll never turn down more horsepower, but you'll need to make your own decision regarding whether the additional horsepower is worth the extra cost. Keep in mind that the Deere tractors come with loadmatch and mine is on all the time. With this, I've never been able to bog/stall the tractor.

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320 #7  
The 1533 Massey Fergusen would be the closest Massey tractor to the JD 3320. The hydro pedal is a split pedal design. It is similar to a rocker pedal but has a forward pedal and a rear pedal. It's a nice machine. I don't think it is as ergonomically put together as well as the Deere (none are in my book), but will perform just as well and probably could be had for a little less change.

/ Comparable Tractors for JD 3320
Croomrider said:
Well, Kubota's website uses their L3130 to campare to the NH TC29-DA and the JD 3320...

CR

There's part of the problem. When I look at the Kubota website, I only see 4 "L" models: L2800. L3400, L4400, and the Grand L30. People keep referring me to models that I can't find, making me wonder if I'm going nuts! (A distinct possibility... The longer I hang out on this board, the larger and more complex my tractor needs become, and the more implements I feel I can't do without...) Is the L3130 an older model that's no longer made?

jbrumberg said:
The reason I replied to this post is a word of caution as to using a MMM to mow sloping pasture. The MMM would seriously reduce your ground clearance which you may need. I suggest that you look at rear mounted rotary cutters and/or rear finish mowers as they are easier to attach/detach, they allow for more cutting height variation, and they do not compromise ground clearance if that is a concern.

Good point - especially since I have the lawn tractor to trim around obstacles.

jbrumberg said:
but more importantly we love to help you spend your hard earned money as well as provide you the necessary "justifications" to explain your purchases to the "comptroller"/"She Who Must Be Obeyed" ;). Jay

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" is the family member who bleeds green. :rolleyes: And who also insists that we buy "new" instead of "inheriting someone else's problem". I can live with the latter, and she would find a way to forgive me if I really felt like another brand was the way to go. I think.:eek:

Superduper said:
As for the price of the 3320 being only $300 more than the 3120, that is not entirely correct. The 3120 comes standard with eHydro transmission while the 3320 comes standard with gear transmission. The eHydro transmission option is $825. I'll never turn down more horsepower, but you'll need to make your own decision regarding whether the additional horsepower is worth the extra cost. Keep in mind that the Deere tractors come with loadmatch and mine is on all the time. With this, I've never been able to bog/stall the tractor.

I know there's more difference in the list prices, but my local dealer (AG Power in McKinney, TX) gave me a list of their "standard selling prices" for the 3X20 line, all equipped with e-hydro, and the difference is a little over $300. He said Deere was giving them some incentives on the 3320 and they just pass them through. The jump to the 3520 is closer to $2K.

By the way, these guys have been great to deal with on my smaller lawn tractor, and have been extremely nice to deal with on the CUT, and seem to be offering very competitive pricing (at a very early stage in the buying process), so I'm inclined to buy from them again...