PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm?

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #1  

newbe2

I am a 1st time tractor buyer and desperately need your help. I need a tractor for a horse farm to mow, drag the riding ring with harrow, move jumps and manure, and to attach a post pounder to.

1- How much HP do I need?
2- The soil is alful (rocky), which auger do I need?
3- What questions do I ask the seller?
4- Anything elde I need to know.

I saw a 1975 40 HP Massey Furg. 235 at a dealer, would that be suitable? Also, I was looking into the iseki 26 HP's. Both are around $5000.oo.

THANKS SO VERY MUCH for any advise.

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #2  
You will want a loader. It is soooo nice not to have to lug any muck tubs and they sure are ideal for loading a manure spreader. I also use mine to stack hay (small rectangular bales). We need a little more info: how much land are you maintaining? how many horses? what kind of hay bales do you need to lift and stack? does the tractor need to get in your stall doors or any gates?

When buying used check all the fluids and filters to see if the tractor has been maintained. If the buyer kept records of when he/she changed this or that, ask to see them. Try the tractor in all gears. If it has a loader, make sure it works with a load (it should be able to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground). Make sure the 3 point hitch can lift an implement easily and that the PTO is working. Check for evidence for any leaks. A leak may not stop you from buying it as they are usually cheap to fix but some are just difficult to fix, like leaking wheel seals.

If you buy under 35hp I would buy a 4wd with a loader. I didn't think to look at your location but my neighbor has a nice old Massey-Ferguson with a loader for $2k.

I only have 3 horses and 2 acres and went with a grey market Yanmar. It can fit into my stalls to dump shavings and to load up while mucking. Those grey markets are great for narrowness. That being said, they also have a lot of clearance for tilling rice paddies (including the Iseki you looked at) and are on the tippy side. If you buy grey you might want to look for something that has a ROPS or that at least has one available to purchase for it. Not all greys have available after market ROPS.

Let us know your situation and we can be more helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions specifically related to horse ownership and tractors.

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #3  
As roxynoodle said, be sure to get a front end loader. It'll end up being your most important tool and you'll never go without it again. Also, get four wheel drive. I'm selling my 27 hp JD 950 w/loader to go 4x4. Got tired of lifting things and then not being able to go. :>)

KEG

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #4  
It's nice to have around 25HP (or a little more) to pull an arena type harrow, but it can be done with less. Weight is as important as HP pulling a drag, so look for a good balance between HP and traction. If you have really bad soil, hire the post holes dug. Otherwise you need hydraulic down force and a high dollar auger bit. A front end loader is a must, and 4wd is then the best option. If you get an older larger tractor, you can probably be OK with 2wd. Unless the tractor you get is real small, get power-steering. If a diesel and it is used, make sure the seller starts it up cold for you. If it is warmed up when you arrive, come back another time. A quick start on a cold diesel is a good thing. Furthermore, take a friend that knows tractors with you if you buy used. Make sure he is knowledgable, but not a "know it all". Nothing turns off a seller faster than an expert that isn't.

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #5  
What's your property like. Size, shape etc.

Also, I wouldn't use a post pounder with a smaller tractor. It'll shake it apart in no time. There are some pull behind post pounders with their own engines that would be ok with smaller machines though.

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #6  
How big a horse farm?

Other chores?

Soundguy

newbe2 said:
I am a 1st time tractor buyer and desperately need your help. I need a tractor for a horse farm to mow, drag the riding ring with harrow, move jumps and manure, and to attach a post pounder to.

1- How much HP do I need?
2- The soil is alful (rocky), which auger do I need?
3- What questions do I ask the seller?
4- Anything elde I need to know.

I saw a 1975 40 HP Massey Furg. 235 at a dealer, would that be suitable? Also, I was looking into the iseki 26 HP's. Both are around $5000.oo.

THANKS SO VERY MUCH for any advise.

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm?
The farm is 15 acres. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, but I'll travel a bit to pick up a nice cheap tractor b/c Im on a budget.
Thank you

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #8  
Newbe2:

Keep the property, buy a tractor & sell the horse's, you can thank me later!

Last edited:
   / PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #9  
Whiskey said:
Newbe2:

Keep the property, buy a tractor & sell the horse's, you can thank me later!

LMAO. There's a lot of money in horses, ain't there, Whiskey?

/ PLEASE HELP- what tractor should I buy for horse farm? #10  
Billy:

I ain't seen any yet.......thousand pound pets that I feed one end and wipe the other end every day of the year rain or shine, the only money I see is leaving my wallet :)