New "Bug."

/ New "Bug." #2  
Mornin Allan,
Wow, that thing is creepy lookin :) Dont think Id want to see it out in the woods at night :)

Looks like it could traverse some serious terrain !

/ New "Bug." #3  
These are supposed to have low environmental impact, particularly in regard to soil compression. That way they can cut all the freakin trees down without feeling too guilty about compacting the soil. (roll eyes)

/ New "Bug." #4  
N80 said:
These are supposed to have low environmental impact, particularly in regard to soil compression. That way they can cut all the freakin trees down without feeling too guilty about compacting the soil. (roll eyes)
Actually, they're able to walk through a forest, cut down only trees that are ready to be harvested, strip the trunk and leave the rest there to decompose naturally, and carry the trunks to a common area for pickup. This leaves few to no logging roads, no clearcutting, and takes only timber that's ready for harvest and that the market requires. Instead of having a forest of identical age and type tree, they can have all the diversity of a regular forest with much less environmental impact.

/ New "Bug." #5  
Ok just because its made by Deere doesn't meen it's a tractor. I missed the 3pt, and it looks very slow.

I bet they don't stop making skidders anytime soon!!

skidder_selection_header.jpg

/ New "Bug." #6  
Maybe it's also to go up with the new shuttle?

Andy

/ New "Bug." #7  
whodat90 said:
Actually, they're able to walk through a forest, cut down only trees that are ready to be harvested, strip the trunk and leave the rest there to decompose naturally, and carry the trunks to a common area for pickup. This leaves few to no logging roads, no clearcutting, and takes only timber that's ready for harvest and that the market requires. Instead of having a forest of identical age and type tree, they can have all the diversity of a regular forest with much less environmental impact.

I'm not knocking JD for trying and I'm all for the things it hopes to accomplish. However, I'm pretty well aquainted with the logging industry, at least here in the southeast (where 1/4 of the world's paper comes from) and it simply wouldn't fly around here. (Of course, it isn't intended for around here since no one is making any flap about preserving the American southeastern forest......too little too late.)

The problem is that it would not be able to pay for itself. Even if it can do all the things it is supposed to do, things break down when it comes to moving the cut timber. It would be far too slow to be economically feasible unless they were cutting something exotic or unusually valuable per board foot. How many trunks could that thing pull or carry at a time? And how far? You're going to have to bring roads and or skidders in at some point.

In any case, I'm glad to see JD and others making an effort.

/ New "Bug." #8  
All valid points, and I'm afraid I don't have the answers. I saw the thing working on history channel or TLC. Basically they come in and look for specific types of trees based on demand. The harvester has a hydraulic claw (for lack of a better word) that clips onto the tree. Based on trunk diameter and tree type, it calculates the amount of board feet of each size of board and decides whether or not to cut. If it decides to cut, it clips the tree off below the claw, rotates it sideways, and grinds off all the bark and branches in a few seconds and spits the bare trunk out. It then gathers all these bare trunks into a clearing for a helicopter to lift out or pulls them to the closest access point for a skidder to take. Way cool to watch it work.
I can't vouch for the practicality, but it certainly seems like a step in the right direction. Think of it, you have say 1000 acres of forest. You clear cut 10% of it at a time, with some time taken between cuttings to allow the trees to mature elsewhere. A sustainable resource, but not especially eco friendly. On the other hand, you have that same 1000 acres, but you are constantly taking a percentage of the timber from the whole area, based on market demand and good forestry practices. You end up with a variety of trees at a variety of ages, and generally a nice little ecology going on. Not immediately cost effective, but it's been proven that joe average consumer is willing to pay more for materials based on their ecological friendliness; look at how popular 'organically grown' stuff is, etc.

/ New "Bug." #10  
whodat90, I agree. I saw the same thing on TV, it was amazing! Wish it could work out. But what happens is that the loggers spend megabucks on their machinery (mega mega bucks for that bug, I'm guessing) and they have to pay for it. Cutting small areas or select-cutting large areas just doesn't pay the bills. But the other problem is that the machinery has gotten larger in order to become more efficient. The size of the machines prohibits 'select' cutting entirely. Most of them in our area are grudgingly following Best Management Practices and are sparing creek bottoms and drainages, but the days of select cutting seem to be gone. The logging outfit my B-I-L hired said, sure we can select cut...in 40' circles around each harvestable tree. Well, that 40' circle gets it all. Nothing left standing after the pines are removed. And sadly, it is virtually impossible to hire anyone in this area to take a more 'sensitive' approach to cutting your land. And the money talks; the income from small scale and select cutting is waaaay less than standard practices.

In addition to that, there is very little interest in hardwoods. Its all about the pines. There are some outfits that cut and chip cedar for pet bedding. Makes me cringe to think about it. There is some one time hardwood harvesting but it is limited and there isn't much money in it for the landowner or logger.

Interestingly enough there are some very small time outfits that will cut your place traditionally, get this, using draft horses and mules. They do very little damage and they can cut as selectively as you wish. They are expensive and slow and can't make you (the landowner) nearly as much money as a crew with a huge feller buncher and a couple of skidders. But, if it is important to you, you can hire the horse crews. Most of them are based in the southern Appalachians as far as I know. Personally, when I do some cutting on my place I might consider these horse guys. They say they are a blast to watch (but maybe not as much fun as the bug!). But, when I cut my planted pines I'll get the mechanized folks to do it. Nothing in there to hurt or save. Will probably turn that space into pasture anyway.

Finally, the attachment that allows for the felling, stripping and lenghtening is called a Waratah attachment and can be used on any vehicle that can carry it and support the computer system it uses. It is the thing that is so amazing to watch. Very efficient and results in much less waste.