What to buy for my farm?

/ What to buy for my farm? #1  

smit360

Tractor
John Deere 3120
Need some help from some of you guys out there. I have 200 acres of land and i currently have a 3120 doing my barn chores. I have 40 horses right now. That number will increase to 80 very soon. I also am planning to do my own round and square baling. I need to get a bigger tractor. I will be keeping my 3120 for tight quaters. I am deciding between a 5525 or 6430 deere and a M9040 kubota. I am more leanign towards the deeres right now, always have had deeres. What tractor shold i get. I will be pulling a manure spreader, haying, cleaning paddocks and bush hogging the pastures with this new machine and need to know what is best before I make a costly purchase. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay

/ What to buy for my farm? #2  
Of those choices I'd go with the 6030 series Deere. Plenty of tractor for your needs.

/ What to buy for my farm? #3  
I'd try to find an older 4020 or 3020 in good shape. Around here you can find a good one with a loader in the 10k-15k range. Of course they have newer models too but those stand out to me as some of the toughest most durable machines I can think of.

/ What to buy for my farm? #4  
Both are great units. If money isn't an issue get what makes you happy, otherwise go with the Kubota and save some dough.

/ What to buy for my farm? #5  
smit360 said:
Need some help from some of you guys out there. I have 200 acres of land and i currently have a 3120 doing my barn chores. I have 40 horses right now. That number will increase to 80 very soon. I also am planning to do my own round and square baling. I need to get a bigger tractor. I will be keeping my 3120 for tight quaters. I am deciding between a 5525 or 6430 deere and a M9040 kubota. I am more leanign towards the deeres right now, always have had deeres. What tractor shold i get. I will be pulling a manure spreader, haying, cleaning paddocks and bush hogging the pastures with this new machine and need to know what is best before I make a costly purchase. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay

I'm going to answer your question with a question. Are you able to do any/most/all of your own mechanical work? If not, skip right on past the recomendations for OLDER tractors like the 4020 Deere and such. They WERE the best in the field 40 years ago. Their reputation is still one of a ledgendary tractor. They raised the bar for all to follow.

They're now antiques.......

That's not a bad thing, but if you aren't able to work on one, or you can't justify paying to have work done, they aren't for you. Take that from someone who farmed with old tractors.

I get the distinct impression you're looking for new and dependable.

Now back to your question. My son just bought a 6430 2 weeks ago. I haven't even had the opportunity to climb in the cab yet, but I've heard all sorts of praise from him. You seem to have a good indication as to what size tractor you want and need. From there, it's a matter of what your wallet says you can afford (or is practical). It is possible to go "too big", but I'm thinking that's not an issue with the choices you've laid out.

Deere has a great line of AG tractors. Kubota has a great rep too, but is still a relative newcomer in the big tractor world. I don't know that you'd be doing wrong with a Kubota, but a Deere would be a safe way to go. EXPENSIVE way, but safe.

How's the dealer situation where you live? I'm not one of those who think that's the #1 issue when buying a tractor, but it is important. Does Deere have a good dealer in your area? How about Kubota? Any other brands have good dealers? Don't cut yourself short. Look at AGCO (I'm a Massey Ferguson fan myself) New Holland, and all the rest.

/ What to buy for my farm? #6  
What ever tractor you buy make sure it can handle the baler and bales you will be handling.

Consider also the size of purchased bales. There may be times when you must handle the largest round or square bales and offload from a semi.

Last edited:
   / What to buy for my farm?
Thanks guys for your input. I think i am going to go with the 6430 with a 673 self leveling loader. Seems like the right machine for the job. I will be making all my own square and round bales. The round bales will probably be about 2200 lbs so i dont want to undersize the machine. Also since i have mentioned to friends in the horse world about starting to hay I have gained more customers than I could have imangined. I am looking for the some more property near by to grow more hay and sell to these new clients. Also the Deere dealer in my area is much more knowledgeable about big tractors than the local kubota dealer. Plus Deere has given me free hats, gloves, shirts sweatshirts. Just icing on the cake haha. Thanks again guys.

/ What to buy for my farm? #8  
Hmmm... Did you talk to your local CaseIH dealer?

They know big tractors too. Though having grown up on a farm. To me its not a big tractor until you start talking >80Hp diesel.

-Dave

/ What to buy for my farm? #9  
The 6430 is 95 PTO HP, so I guess that qualifies it as a big tractor.

/ What to buy for my farm? #10  
I cant recall, is the 6430 a cab tractor? I only ask because if you are going to be spending alot of time in the sun, you will at least want a canopy. Watch out for skin cancer! I know quite a few old farmers (even up here in Maine) who got skin cancer from long hours of being in the sun.