Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #1  

bkcook

Hi

I am looking for a new tractor. I am taking care of a 80 acre farm it used to have about 50 acres in field but now its only 4 the other have all these small trees and bushes. I would like to get back to field before its too late.

I currently have some old tractors a oliver 1250 with a loader its about 40 hp runs ok when i work on it for awhile. A yamar 18 hp that i just use a finishing mower behind and a 9n that hasnt run for awhile.

I am personally getting tired of messing with old tractors. I wont to get something new but I am low on funds so I want to get out is low as I can. I would love to get out around 12k

I have looked at JD, Foton, Farmtrac, Kubota, Tafe, and Kioti. I would really love to get one with a loader and I figure I should at least 40 hp I am a big guy and I look like I am a riding lawnmower when I use the yanmar.

Btw I can wrech on one pretty good so that doesnt bother me if its not every time I use it.

Thanks
Brian

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #2  
The words "new, 40HP, tractor and 12,000 bucks" are incompatable as part of the same deal unfortunately. I think you'd be pretty lucky if you could get a good 40hp tractor with FEL for 12,000 even with 10 years or 1000 hours on it. I am sure the word "Chinese" will enter the conversation shortly and that is probably about as close as you will get to your goal. I suppose my comments are presuming you are looking for a CUT but at 40hp you are close to farm tractor size and there are apparently good used deals to be had in that area. Maybe Soundguy will chime in to give you some pointers in that direction.

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #3  
Would it be possible to hire someone to come in and brush-hog what you need cleaned up? Take what you save by not going new and make repairs to your present equipment. New is nice but not necessary. There are a lot of folks looking for good running tractors. Fix what you have, then sell, pay down on new. Just a thought.

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor
Yeah the Chinese tractors look good for the price but I am scared that I will not be able to get parts for it later.

Which it seems to me that american made tractor is a no such thing anymore.

I am planning on going to look this weekend at a dealer that sells
Massey Ferguson, Farmtrac, Kioti and Montana Tractors. I talked to the guy on the phone and he has a Kioti 35hp with a loader for 17k which is a little over my price but I guess i could finance the other 5 k.

How are Kioti tractors I have never heard of them until I found this group.

Thanks

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #5  
bkcook said:
How are Kioti tractors I have never heard of them until I found this group.

Thanks

Well, as an owner of a CK20 I love mine. The tractors are great, the company does not yet have the sort of extensive dealer support systems that you'll find with JD, Kubota, NH. If you have a nearby dealer that is not an issue.

You must be looking at the DK35 I imagine which is well thought of though an older design. Check out the newer DK45s while you are at the dealer: Well above your price range but a good example of what Kioti is capable of.

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #6  
Don't overlook Mahindra and TYM. Mahindras are especially priced very affordably.

Yes I am going to look at the DK35 he said its the last on he has and he will be getting his new tractors in a month or so.

Yeah we have a Mahindra dealer and TYM dealer that is pretty local to me. I am not sure how long they have been in business. I guess I need to take a look at them also.

The Dealer that has Kioti has been in business for 35 yrs.

I know the old saying you get what you pay for. I figure I will use it at least 300 hr min. so I want to get something that I am not have to replace parts on all the time.

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #8  
80 ac.. 50 in field that need mowing / maintaining / reclaiming??

That's alot of acerage to take care of .. especially to mow. How often do you want to mow? At very minimum.. I'd get an 8' mower.. more preferably a 10 - 12 - 15. Even with a 10' mower.. it will still be 2 good days of mowing. to tame 50 ac.

For a 10' mower.. you really need 50+hp. ( drag will be less.. 3pt.. more.. however.. 50 hp is on the low barly minimum edge i feel. ) And even on a 8'.. I'd still look for 40+ hp, and drag style. more if a 3pt.

heck.. 50 hp and 8' would be a more robust cut.. depending on what you are taming.

I'm not sure what your land is like.. but if flat.. you might get away with an economy model 2wd, gear 50 hp name brand machine, and then drop a bit more for a mower and come out at about 15k$ no fel.. etc.

You could also investigate '2nd' and other non 'big 3' brands in that hp range.. Agco, branson, mahindra. I don't know if the chinese have a 50 hp machine.. i do see 80 hp machines.. but that blows your price. and .. if ya don't like working on old machines.. i doubt you will like working on new chinese machines.

Another option is a used but newish name brand. Perhaps a dealer trade in. I've had great luck on NH units that I bought just a couple years old that were dealer trades. Both happened to be sold at the same dealership where they were traded back at.

Both were/are great units, and have great dealer support, and were at 20-30% discount of new.

post back and let us know your area, land style, and more refined ideas of use.. etc.

Soundguy

bkcook said:
Hi

I am looking for a new tractor. I am taking care of a 80 acre farm it used to have about 50 acres in field but now its only 4 the other have all these small trees and bushes. I would like to get back to field before its too late.

I currently have some old tractors a oliver 1250 with a loader its about 40 hp runs ok when i work on it for awhile. A yamar 18 hp that i just use a finishing mower behind and a 9n that hasnt run for awhile.

I am personally getting tired of messing with old tractors. I wont to get something new but I am low on funds so I want to get out is low as I can. I would love to get out around 12k

I have looked at JD, Foton, Farmtrac, Kubota, Tafe, and Kioti. I would really love to get one with a loader and I figure I should at least 40 hp I am a big guy and I look like I am a riding lawnmower when I use the yanmar.

Btw I can wrech on one pretty good so that doesnt bother me if its not every time I use it.

Thanks
Brian

The land has been in my family for around 100 yrs. It started as a dairy farm then it turn to cotton then hasn't been planted or tending in 25 yrs. It is mostly flat with some hills on the big woods side it was never field just woods and pasture. Which I live 30 mins from there I have been taking care of the land for the past 5 yrs for my mom since my father pasted away.

I am looking to reclaim the fields which already have trees that I will just cut around and leave I would like to get the under bush out and keep it clean to cut down on a chance of fire. I would also like to my some atv trails for my self and my son.

I thought about going the used route but good used tractor are few and far between around here. .I am near Greenville SC seems not many people trading for 40 hp and above around here I think most of the dealers keep the 25hp and below for the small horse farms.

My uses would be. Grass cutter rotary cutter and finishing mower I have both mowers already both are 5ft. Some plowing or about 1 acre maybe more later. Putting out mulch and gravel fixing existing wash outs on a old logging road. Reclaiming the land that has brush and small trees. "pines and ceder"

Yeah I would really like to stay away from the work on it 1 hr and use 8 hr type. Which I do maintain everything I have and it would live under a shed.

/ Need a little help on make the right choice on a tractor #10  
A couple of things you mentioned..you're pretty good at wrenching and you already listed a Chinese tractor, the Foton. So if you really want a new 40+hp tractor to fit into your budget, look at the Chinese tractors. Here's what a quick search brought up. 45HP Kama with Loader This one comes with a Koyker 195 American loader. It would be less without it.

I have the 4wd shuttle shift 55HP version. I was reluctant to buy but I'm glad I did. I saved a lot of money and was able to buy much more tractor and HP where other models were out of my price range. From my experience, mine is a robust and sturdy machine...no frills with lots of reliable power. Other than general maintenance and my personal modifications, I have had very little wrench time on the machine itself (over 250hrs now). Visit the Chinese discussion boards to learn more. The Foton you mention in your first post is better finished but the basic machine is the same. Just my 2¢...good luck.