decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #1  

lil_country

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 B3030 & 2006 Cub Cadet LT1045
I sat on a lot of tractors today. I started out thinking I wanted a tractor in similar to Kubota's L2800 in size and power. I now think something like a B7800 is more suitable for my needs.

I have 5 acres, with about 2 acres lawn and 3 acres pasture. I need to be able to mow (RFM) and brushhog, and maintain a long gravel drive. I also have a lot of small landscaping chores that will require moving dirt and rocks from place to place.

I know I want;HST, 4WD, loader, RFM. (I already have brushhog, box blade, and angle blade.)

So, here is a summary of today's experience.

First, I was unimpressed with almost all of the dealers. None of them seemed to really want to sell a tractor. At several places I parked and looked at tractors for 10 minutes without anyone even coming out of the place. When I did go in and start asking questions, most of them weren't very helpful. While I don't like car salesman-like tactics, I do like a salesman to offer information, or at least ask questions about my needs.

I looked at the following tractors; NH TC34DA, NH TC30, Kubota B7800, Kubota L2800, Kioti CK25, and JD 3203 (Ruled out 790 for no HST).

I know these tractors don't really compare to each other for the most part, but like I said I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for.

New Holland

The TC34DA was probably the most comfortable for me to operate. The seat and steering adjust to fit very nicely. I also think it is a great looking tractor. The one I drove had Super Steer - it was fantastic. I did have problems with the clutch - it did not want to go from nuetral to drive, and I had difficulty getting the PTO on. I think the clutch was out of adjustment. This tractor is really out of my price range, and I decided it i bigger than I need. I was quoted 20,900 with the loader.

I thought the next smaller NH, TC26DA was just too small and light weight.

I was quoted 15,500 for the TC30 with loader. I didn't even drive it. I would rather go with the L2800 for a few hundred more, or the 3203 for 1K more. The TC30 was just too boxy and plain for me.

Kubota

I was quoted 15,700 for the L2800 with loader. By then, I was looking at the B7800 and deciding I wanted to downsize. The quote for the B7800 was 14,600 with loader. I liked the way it handled, but I'm a bit concerned about the quarter inching 3 point. I may want to move up from the economy model.

Kioti

I liked the looks of the CK25 - from a distance. It had a lot of features not found on the economy models of the other brands. It did seem louder to me than the others, and the turning radius was not very good - especially compared to the JD 3203. I don't want to offend you Kioti fans - this is just my opinion, but the tractor just seemed second rate compared to the other three brands. I don't know how to describe it, but it is sort of like comparing my company car (Taurus) to my wife's Cadillac - the others just felt better. I also did not like the bucket on the L130 loader. The "mouth" seemed small. In other words the distance from the bottom lip to the top lip looked shorter than the others. I asked the dealer about any problems with cracking, and he told me he had read about it, but had not seen any. I doubt he sees many tractors anyway. Although he is the only Kioti dealer in the local phone book, this CK25 looked like it had been on his lot for a while. He quoted me 15,500 for the tractor and loader.

John Deer

The 3203 is a very basic tractor, but it is a very nice tractor. It drives very good, the HST is very responsive, and the turning radius is terrific. The HST is only 2 range (not 3 like the others). It has a floating feature on the 3 pnt arms that looks like it would be handy with a RFM. I was quoted 16,000 for this tractor. If I was going to stay with the heavier tractor (2700 #), I would prefer this tractor over the Kioti even though the Kioti has a lot more convenience features.

After trying all these models, I found myself drawn to the Kubota and John Deere - I just liked the way they felt. So tomorrow I will try to find a B2630, B3030, and a JD 2520 to try out.

I welcome any suggestions of similar models to try, or advice on the advantages/disadvantages of various models or features. Do the prices look reasonable?

Also, if you know any dealers in central Oklahoma with exceptionally good reputations I would certainly like to know about them. Feel free to PM if necessary.

Thanks

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #2  
You've done your homework...
I've got a feeling that you're gonna like the Kubota B3030 or 2520 best when you try them out...
They are gonna cost more than the others...
Don't cheat yourself out of the one you really want...
Financing rates are very good right now...
Good luck and have fun...

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #3  
lil_country:

Welcome to TBN :)! I have been very satisfied with my NH TC29DA. It is now the TC31DA. Keep on shopping until you find the right "fit" seatwise and dealerwise. Jay

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands
I asked one dealer about the TC31. It is on the same frame as the TC34, just less hp. He told me the 31 would be about $500 more! They must have some incentive on to sell the 34.

One thing I didn't care for on the Kubotas was the location of the loader control. It seemed more natural to use the controls that were placed on the right side of the driver, rather than on the loader arm. I have never used either, so I guess I will get used to whatever I buy.

Does anyone have any advice on possible advantages/disadvantages of the loader control placement?

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #6  
The only thing I'd say was to go back and drive the tc-30.. Before i spend 15K$ of money.. I'd want to know I touched everything.. and to dismiss a tractor due to boxy/plainness may be premature. Once you set on it.. then you will know.

That said.. the tc30 is generally an economy model. if you are looking for lots of features.. it may not fit your needs.. however it won't cost anything to check.

The hp ranges is good.. 26-30 .. etc.

Soundguy

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #7  
If you liked the JD 3203 you should take a look at the 3120 or the 3320 - When I was looking over the summer, the price differences were not that great but the 3x20 series was a significant step up from the 3203 "economy" model.

BTW - I went buy a JD 3320 and the same dealer (they are one of the few that actually sells both JD and Kubota) had a Kubota L3430 HST CAB on the lot that I just couldn't pass up. I have to agree that the fit and finish or refinement was noticeably better on the New Hollands, Kubotas and the JDs. What I started out looking at was the New Hollands, but the dealer here was way too pricey.

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #8  
Funny, when I compared Kubota and Kioti, I had just the reverse opinion. The botas almost felt "chinese" to me. Maybe it is the "age" of the machines tested, or the quality of dealer prep??? Just goes to show that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Love NH supersteer - a distinction no one else seems to be offering.

/ decided on size - narrowed to 2 brands #9  
lil_country said:
One thing I didn't care for on the Kubotas was the location of the loader control. It seemed more natural to use the controls that were placed on the right side of the driver, rather than on the loader arm. I have never used either, so I guess I will get used to whatever I buy.

Does anyone have any advice on possible advantages/disadvantages of the loader control placement?
I've used both types, and both of the tractors I currently use have loader mount levers (Kubota B2910 and New Holland TC24D). You get used to what you have. But I will say that if you work in the woods with lots of low branches, there are SOME loader controls mounted on the loader frame that have hoses that stick up and those hoses can be caught by a branch.

Photo #1 below shows a Branson tractor control valve, you can clearly see the hoses stick up and are targets for wayward branches.

Photo #2 below shows a Kubota B7800 control valve, you will notice the hoses are not nearly as exposed and are far better protected.

Photo #3 below shows a Kubota B3030 control valve, again the hoses are protected from branches.

Photo #4 below shows a New Holland TC33DA control valve, it is fender mounted, there are absolutely no exposed hoses.

Photo #5 below shows a JD 3410 control valve, as with the above NH, it is fender mounted, there are no exposed hoses as they run pretty tight along the loader frame/arms.

Photo #6 below shows a Kioti CK30 and the control valve is fender mounted but the hoses are exposed on the loader frame and stick straight up in the air over the height of the steering wheel.

So you can see from the photos that there are some subtle differences. I have no problem with using either type, both of what I use now are loader mounted valves and both have protected hoses. That is the one feature I would really look for because you never know when a tree is going to reach out and grab part of your tractor :) Then again, I have a lot of trees so it is something I am wary of on a daily basis. I also strongly prefer rigid pipe along my loader arms and across the loader cross brace instead of hose. Pipe costs a bit more but is more durable, not subject to rot, not subject to bursting, not subject to snags or tears by thorn trees, etc.

On every tractor there are probably 100 little differences. Some of them make a big difference to some people and absolutely no difference to others. The key is to figure out what is best for you.

Attachments

• 1bransonvalve.jpg
    1bransonvalve.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 1b7800-2910right.jpg
    1b7800-2910right.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 1b3030valve.jpg
    1b3030valve.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 1NH33 right side.jpg
    1NH33 right side.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 1jd3410valve.jpg
    1jd3410valve.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Kioti-CK30valvehoses.jpg
    Kioti-CK30valvehoses.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 258
I did like the 3203, but like I said I've decided a smaller tractor suits my needs better. I'm going to look at a 2520 - but if the dealer really wants to get rid of a 3120...who knows.