4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #1  

tensaw12

Bronze Member
I need some help, and all suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
I am researching 4x4 utility vehicles and have little, to, no knowledge of them.
If any of you, would share your experieces with me I would appreciate it.
The vehicle will be used for general purposes, ie hauling tools, spraying chemicals, etc.
I have 30 acres that is hilly and has over 1/2 half mile of river frontage so, some of it is wet.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ray

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #2  
Ray---I have a Mule 3010, a good tough machine that doesn't take much upkeep but it is a rough rider. It can't go over 25 mph so if speed is important then it's not the machine for you. It has a steel cargo bed that can haul quite a bit of material. Quite a few of my neigbors have the six wheel Gators and they really like them and the Polaris Ranger is also quite popular. The Ranger gives a good ride because some of them have 4 wheel independent suspension and the Ranger can also be bought in a six wheel version. My Mule is very frugal with gas and to me that's important.
Good Luck in your search.

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #3  
tensaw12 said:
I need some help, and all suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
I am researching 4x4 utility vehicles and have little, to, no knowledge of them.
If any of you, would share your experieces with me I would appreciate it.
The vehicle will be used for general purposes, ie hauling tools, spraying chemicals, etc.
I have 30 acres that is hilly and has over 1/2 half mile of river frontage so, some of it is wet.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ray

I ended up getting a gas golf cart and putting ATV wheels/tires on it. Gets me where I want to go, has seat for 3, and was cheap. suspension is comfortable. will pull a trailer full of tools. impressive, happy with my decision. visit Golf Cart Accessories, Golf Cart Parts, Golf Car - The Most Golf Cart Accessories and Golf Cart Parts from Buggies Unlimited to see the mods you can do to a golf cart.

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #4  
Ray,

I am currently involved in a post in ATV and UTV section, where this question came up. The short message I have gathered here is that one must decide what features one wants the most, as no one UTV will fill the bill. I had a JD diesel Gator which I really liked, but sold as I got an excellent offer for it. I, too, am looking to replace it with another UTV. I like the Gator, especially since it now is true four wheel drive. I liked the diesel. The only problem is that the Gator is not very fast and has a rougher ride secondary to reduced suspension travel. JD and others are coming out with some new machines in the next few months. Currently, the hottest UTV's are the Polaris Ranger XP and the Yamaha Rhino. The Polaris is larger and has higher capacities but a less good reliability rating in some circles, while the Rhino is fast and reliable but smaller with a smaller bed capacity. Kubota makes a sweet UTV, very heavy and diesel, but it lacks much suspension travel and does not have a limited slip front diff. Kawasaki is really durable and nice, but no frills and is in need of some updating. Most of these UTV's are mandated by law to go no faster than 25 mph, but some companies get around this by installing safe keys. Both the Yamaha and the Polaris will almost double this speed. If I were buying purely for work, I would probably go back with another JD, but if I were going to work and play, either the Rhino or the Polaris would be my current choice. The new JD UTV is supposed to be great, though. I do not know if I can wait that long on one, though. Clear as mud?????

John M

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles
John,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. They are very helpful. Thanks again,
Ray

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #6  
You realy need to go look at each of them. There are three tecknowledges envolved. Some are based on ATV's some on golf cart and some on tractor. Icurrently have a tricked out golf cart with ATV wheels and a 7 in lift it goes anywhere I want to go here in the desert but will not carry a lot of weigh. If I were buying new i would look Mules (Kawasaki) and Kubota.

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #7  
OK, this is not a 4 wheel type ATV but ASV ASV Inc. - Posi-Track Rubber Track Loaders has their new tracked machine called the Scout coming out. I saw it on their website but no info on it yet that I have found. It is new and I think will be at Louisville.

By the way, if any of you go to Louisville could you get some info and post it here?

Thanks,
Maka

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #8  
The Toolcat would be an option for you but it may be and do more than is necessary. The Bobcat 2300 may be worth looking into for your needs.
Steve

/ 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #9  
As many have already pointed out there is a lot of variables that determine which is the "best" UTV for you. I strongly agree that you check each one out personally and test ride it if possible. I originally had narrowed my picks down to the polaris ranger and the mule 610 and was getting ready to purchase the Ranger when I drove by a Kubota dealership. I had not really considered the RTV because I had read they were more work oriented than recreational and a little higher priced. That being said my wife suggested we stop and look at them. After looking it over and then driving it we bought the Kubota. For us it was the combination of power steering and hydro transmission that makes it much easier to navigate our mountain property. Also by the time I added some of the features that came standard on the RTV to the Ranger (like the hydraulic bed lift and front brushguard) they were in the same ballpark price wise. I originally favored the Ranger because of the higher speed(44 mph v. 25mph) and independent suspension that gives it a smoother ride over rougher terrain. In hindsight I probably would have never benefitted from the higher speed of the Ranger and the RTV has surprised me with its agility and smooth ride even though its close to weighing a ton:eek: and built like a tank:D . Good luck and enjoy your research, thats part of the fun of ownership:) . Keep us posted and let us know what you decide.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Bed.JPG
    Hydraulic Bed.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 6,191
  • At Work.JPG
    At Work.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 3,201
  • At Play.jpg
    At Play.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 3,316
  • Handles Steep Grades.jpg
    Handles Steep Grades.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 1,362
   / 4x4 side by side atv utility vehicles #10  
Finally, a post I have some knowledge of...

First off, I have a Kawasaki Mule 3010 4x4 with almost 500 hours on it. I've added marine stereo/CD, PIAA lights, rear "high rack" seat, shooting rest, gun racks, ice chest, deer feeder/spreader, and multiple drink holders. I also have a 35 gallon spot sprayer and kevlar tires and lift kit. The only time I've taken it to the shop was for routine check-ups and I've only done that twice. It has been used at least once a week around our property and heavily during hunting season. The mule gets high marks for reliability, great gas consumption, and it will go anywhere. I also like the metal bed
The biggest negative is that it only goes 25mph. That has never been a problem for me and I'm probably writing this due to that fact. A few late night "feed" runs at the hunting lease after too much scotch, don't ask.

I test drove a Gator HPX last week. I liked it a lot, but it's basically a Mule, branded JD. I think it even has a Kawasaki engine. I also like the bench seat on the Mule to hold an extra (skinny) person.

My brother just had some work done on his 3010 last week at South Texas Outfitters. They do an awesome job putting together hunting vehicles (Jeeps, UTVs, trucks, etc.). I had a long talk with one of the owners and his opinions are as follows:

1) He does 10 Polaris Rangers to 1 of any other brand.
2) Mules are probably #2.
3) He's not a big fan of the Yamaha Rhinos and has had several "redos" from people who sold theirs.

All said, if I had to do it again, I'd probably get a Ranger. We've owned several Polaris 4 wheelers and they've been great.

Hope this helps.