What to buy

/ What to buy #1  

organ grinder

Bronze Member
My primary interest is in finish mowing. Need 4WD and 3 point hitch. Prefer a MMM rather than rear. Who makes the best equipment? If price were no object, what would you buy in a tractor under 25 hp and a MMM? Please be specific as to model, etc.

/ What to buy #3  
As Doc Bob says, we need more info about what you are mowing and how big it is. That said, the idea of a Kubota 2350 jumped into my head as soon as I saw "finish mowing" as the primary objective. Light, reliable, excellent quality cut and obviously optomized for mowing with a MMM.

/ What to buy
Mowing a little over an acre. Some gentle slopes, but basically flat. My past experience with a Kubota suspended deck has not been good. Has JD perfected the suspended deck? Or would Mahindra's ground-engaging deck be better? Others to consider? I am open to any suggestions.

/ What to buy #5  
Ok.. I'll bite. You have 1 ac, and it is mostly flat, with perhaps a gently slope. And you want to finish mow.

Why the 4wd? If you are finish mowing.. that means you probably also want turf tires. For 1 ac.. i think you are getting a bit large of a machine. Perhaps something in the 18-22 hp range may be better... lighter.. etc.

Soundguy

/ What to buy
The 4WD is a must for snow plowing. Have about 450' of blacktop drive to plow. Have a FEL on my present tractor, but the rear 3 point hitch blade does a better job.

/ What to buy #7  
I'd still look at the Kubota BX (the 1800 series if it is still made otherwise the 2350). Not sure what your problems or expectations were with the mowing deck but most folks would consider the BXs to be pretty well optomized for mowing. If you want gas instead of diesel then John Deere certainly makes some nice gas powered lawn tractors but you have quite a long driveway to clear of snow so maybe a diesel is justified. There is a lawn and garden tractor section in TBN you might want to explore if you go that route.

/ What to buy #8  
I do all that with 4 acres of lawn and a 700 foot drive. I use a cub cadet LT1050 with a 50 inch mower deck and a 42 inch front mount snow blower and cab and 2 weel drive and chains for about 3 grand

Last edited:
   / What to buy #9  
Organ Grinder,

I also saw your post under the Mahindra forum.

This is just one more opinion, but I think you are looking at the wrong equipment. I have a Mahindra 2015. It is one tough tractor, and you won't find a better tractor in that class. It sure seems like overkill for what you want to do. I bush hog several acres with my 2015, but I mow about an acre of lawn with a Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Also, a 4WD tractor is an expensive option for what you want to do. But, with that said . . .

If you are really particular about your lawn, I'd sure look at a Zero Turn mower. They will do a much better job than any mid-mount or finish mower.

For snow removal, a tractor is OK. I do over a half mile of driveway, part of it is very steep. I need chains, I use a 6-foot rear blade, and the front end loader. I also have a 28-inch wide walk-behind "big mouth" snow thrower just in case of a really big storm that the tractor can't handle.

If I had what you have, I'd look at a good garden tractor with a snow blower. For 15 years I used an 18 hp Craftsman with weighted agricultural tires and chains. It never met a snow storm it couldn't handle.

Good luck,
Knute

/ What to buy #10  
organ grinder said:
The 4WD is a must for snow plowing. Have about 450' of blacktop drive to plow. Have a FEL on my present tractor, but the rear 3 point hitch blade does a better job.

That info would have been usefull in the first post.. however.. i don't see much cange in my advice.. etc. 2wd and chains do pretty good on flat land

Soundguy