SCUTs, why so little competition?

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #21  
I would never say that a subcompact was a waste of money. If I had 2-4acres of land I would own a subcompact. I think they have a place in the market. If not Kubota would not manufactur them. From what ive read here they are very powerfull machines. Some people here with BX tractors have done more than I have with my cut.

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #22  
Barnboy said:
I would never say that a subcompact was a waste of money. If I had 2-4acres of land I would own a subcompact. I think they have a place in the market. If not Kubota would not manufactur them. From what ive read here they are very powerfull machines. Some people here with BX tractors have done more than I have with my cut.

Well said. That's probably why none of us really bothered with a reply. It's kindof as the old saying goes ... once you take the BS out of a LoneCowboy, there ain't much left. I have to admit though, I do take some pleasure each time somebody says a SCUT is mostly a mowing machine with capablities for other stuff. I have a lawn mower. I sure didn't buy a SCUT to mow grass though I do bushhog weeds 3-4 x per year. The rest of the time my BX is engaging the ground ... heck, they're probably fixing to get married soon for all I know :rolleyes:

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #23  
MikePA said:
However much they want. Who else is better qualified to make this decision than the people paying the bills?
What one wants and what one needs aren't always the same.... and that was the point (and I could be considered one of these people myself). I was simply pointing out where the market looks to be for SCUTS, at least in these parts. What was your point and how does it help the original poster?

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #24  
I see you are in western Maryland. There is a TYM dealer in Harrisburg, Pa. - Walter's Tractor or something like that. Maybe there is one closer to you. But, I do know of this one because that is where I drove to test it. It was a 2 hour drive one way for me here in central MD. Harrisburg is a distribution Hub for TYM. So, if you want to test one, you can go there and test all their models.

Price wise, they are a bit high I think. I was quoted TLB, loaded tires, toothbar, delivery at $21500. Check out the TYM forum for more info. Being a true CUT, I think they will work "bigger" than the SCUTS but with similar turf impact and maneuverability. Really a nice machine. It's too bad they are so pricey.

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #25  
coasterez said:
What was your point and how does it help the original poster?
I wasn't responding to the original poster, I was responding to you. That's why I quoted your message. However, your post echoed the original posters sentiment when you judged other people's motives for why they own a SCUT and why they own the size house they do, i.e.,

coasterez said:
"Some just have to have the "bigger" or "best" of every thing. Many of the Macmansions are 4000+ sq. feet, yet only two people "live" there (when they're not working to pay for it). How much square footage do 2 people really need?"

Most people on TBN, if not all, who own SCUTs do not fit your aforementioned characterization. And, no, I do not own a Mercedes, a 4,000 sq ft house or a SCUT, but more power to anyone who does. The car(s), home(s) and tractor(s) other people own, and why they own them, is their business and no one elses.

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #26  
Ok Mike,

Then, in your opinion, what demographic buys most of the SCUTS and where is the market GROWTH going to come from to support more models from other manufacturers? Who is going to buy the thousands of machines that must be sold to justify entry into this market? This is what a company will want to know (among other things). It's not the townhouse owner, or a guy on a 1/4 acre lot. Is it farmers? Is it landscape contractors? In my neck of the woods it's the 2 - 10 acre estate owners - and they are here by the thousands with more and more popping up every day. Maybe not all of them have huge houses. But, that's not the point. The point is that more and more land is being converted to 2 - 10 acre parcels where SCUTS are a good fit. Might be different where you are, I don't know. If you disagree, then who do you think is going to buy them such that there are more options for the consumer in this size machine?

I wasn't in any way meaning to put these people(Macmansion owners) down, or suggest that they are wasting their money or making bad decisions. There is no need to defend them; it isn't even relevant to my point nor this thread. Most Americans just have way more than they really need. Every year, new things are getting "bigger and better". The average house built in the 70's was much smaller than the average house built today. The car built in the 70's was less fancy and lower in cost (though maybe not more affordable) than those owned today. Same goes for just about everything, including lawn equipment and tractors. When I was growing up, push-mowing an acre or two was quite common. Now, I think it's rare. Most will use a rider of some sort. Do we NEED these bigger, better, nicer things? In most cases no, but that is what we WANT to buy, and IS what we are buying. And what we buy is what will determine the fate of the SCUT, right?

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #27  
coasterez said:
Then, in your opinion, what demographic buys most of the SCUTS and where is the market GROWTH going to come from to support more models from other manufacturers?...Most Americans just have way more than they really need. Every year, new things are getting "bigger and better". Do we NEED these bigger, better, nicer things? In most cases no, but that is what we WANT to buy, and IS what we are buying. And what we buy is what will determine the fate of the SCUT, right?
I was not disagreeing with who buys SCUTs, I was disagreeing with yours, and orgts, characterization of these buyers as well as gross generalizations such as;

"Most Americans just have way more than they really need." According to who?
"Do we NEED these bigger, better, nicer things? In most cases no" According to who?
"which is why they will drive a Mercedes when a Camry would do just as fine a job" Who says a Camry will do just fine?

Instead of focusing the thread on SCUTs and who might buy them, gratuitous, ad hominem and irrelevant comments about these potential buyers are included in posts.

The unstated assumption is the poster's need for a SCUT, CUT, UT, Ag Tractor, etc., are always justified. It's those 'other people', the people who own 'McMansions' or have a '4,000 sq ft house for 2 people' who have no 'real' need to buy what they buy, they simply buy them because 'bigger is better'.

/ SCUTs, why so little competition?
MikePA said:
I was not disagreeing with who buys SCUTs, I was disagreeing with yours, and orgts, characterization of these buyers as well as gross generalizations such as;

"Most Americans just have way more than they really need." According to who?
"Do we NEED these bigger, better, nicer things? In most cases no" According to who?
"which is why they will drive a Mercedes when a Camry would do just as fine a job" Who says a Camry will do just fine?

Instead of focusing the thread on SCUTs and who might buy them, gratuitous, ad hominem and irrelevant comments about these potential buyers are included in posts.

The unstated assumption is the poster's need for a SCUT, CUT, UT, Ag Tractor, etc., are always justified. It's those 'other people', the people who own 'McMansions' or have a '4,000 sq ft house for 2 people' who have no 'real' need to buy what they buy, they simply buy them because 'bigger is better'.

Mike and everyone else...

What I said about Mercedes vs. Camry was JUST A LITTLE WINK. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Kindly start another thread if you really want to discuss this totally different topic.

Special thanks to Andy, Neil, coasterez and the other folks who kept on topic and offered some very interesting thoughts. I've already learned quite a bit.

So far what do we have? TYM looks great but high-priced too, so not a better-priced alternative to BX and TZ.

Hmmm. there was a nibble on a new Mahindra SCUT on their board but no details. Anything else?

/ SCUTs, why so little competition?
coasterez said:
I see you are in western Maryland. There is a TYM dealer in Harrisburg, Pa. - Walter's Tractor or something like that. Maybe there is one closer to you. But, I do know of this one because that is where I drove to test it. It was a 2 hour drive one way for me here in central MD. Harrisburg is a distribution Hub for TYM. So, if you want to test one, you can go there and test all their models.

Price wise, they are a bit high I think. I was quoted TLB, loaded tires, toothbar, delivery at $21500. Check out the TYM forum for more info. Being a true CUT, I think they will work "bigger" than the SCUTS but with similar turf impact and maneuverability. Really a nice machine. It's too bad they are so pricey.

This is high indeed. The do have a very interesting MMM though, well for me at least. If memory serves it's a 60 inch model but with REAR discharge, a variation that's very attractive to me (I garden/farm organic so the more grass I can collect the more compost I can make LOL.)

Harrisburg's not that far and I will definitely stop by when I get a chance, thanks for the tip

/ SCUTs, why so little competition? #30  
orgt said:
Mike and everyone else...

What I said about Mercedes vs. Camry was JUST A LITTLE WINK. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Kindly start another thread if you really want to discuss this totally different topic.

Special thanks to Andy, Neil, coasterez and the other folks who kept on topic and offered some very interesting thoughts. I've already learned quite a bit.

So far what do we have? TYM looks great but high-priced too, so not a better-priced alternative to BX and TZ.

Hmmm. there was a nibble on a new Mahindra SCUT on their board but no details. Anything else?
I apologize for blowing it out of proportion. If there's no Smilie, I assume (bad word :)) the comment is serious. My bad.